Rumors......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors......

I understand that Carl friend thought very little of the Lear winged Mustang and that he thought the Mustang wing on the Lear fuselage would work better. Carl was the chief Aerodynamics guy on the Rare Bear and also the guy that first started talking about the Cornell/Jackson American Spirit racer T2 Buckeye concept, according to a knowledgeable person that doesn't want to be quoted but has experience at Reno. There are those that think a Mustang winged Lear fuselage with a two Rolls Royce Griffons inside of the fuselage ala Do-335 complete with the cruciform tail section design would be capable of 520 MPH laps speeds
    Red
    chanting...400+

Re: Rumors......

I like the sound of that. Is there any way(some kind of autoCAD, etc.)that design ideas and/or drawings could be created for viewing? (I'm talking low-budget, everyone-accessible stuff) Even if it never got considered to be built, I for one would love to see a drawing of that plane, or any other radical concepts out there!!
    I often thought about an F-86 Sabre fuselage/wing-like structure with the tandem-engine(piston) layout. You get the thrust of 2 engines, with the drag penalty of just 1. Cost would be the huge stumbling-block here, I suppose. Without a big government-infused money grant, a lot of great ideas will never see the light of day, unfortunately.
    Like the old question in racing, "How FA$T do you want to go"? Pictures(or drawings if you like) are way cheaper.

Comment

I can draw it out in stick figure form, but i doubt thats going to get you what you want

Very cool idea though.

Comment

id go along with that but...

it would take CUBIC dollars to field....makes glacir gla look like an over night small buck project...IMHO of course

Comment

Re: id go along with that but...

Originally posted by JET1
          it would take CUBIC dollars to field....makes glacir gla look like an over night small buck project...IMHO of course
          Yea but at this time of year... months away from Reno and in the winter doldrums... (OK... so we have the Super Bowl but beyond that...)

Fantasy is all we have!!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Someone here once recommended Solid Works to me. And though that is out of my budget at the moment. If you can get your hands on it, you would be able to test a number of ideas with it. A company here in town that I do business with uses Solid Works, and I've had the chance to tinker with it a little. One of their engineers has shown me a few of the projects he's worked on using Solid Works, and it is quite impressive. But like I said, it comes with a price.

Lonnie

Comment

How about a Mig-17 with a Griffon???

Comment

I have Solidworks at work and use it frequently. Yes, it is a very kewl program but $$$. For tinkering at home, I found Google Sketchup (free). It is a very capable 3D modeling program and easy to learn . Best of all, it is FREE!!!

Here's the link: http://sketchup.google.com/

Comment

Re: id go along with that but...

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                  Yea but at this time of year... months away from Reno and in the winter doldrums... (OK... so we have the Super Bowl but beyond that...)

Fantasy is all we have!!

Super Bowl? Motorsports, the ONLY sport that requires TWO balls! LOL!
                  "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Well the cat has apparently jumped out of the bag. we were hoping to at least be in the taxi test stage before anyone found out that we were in the process of building this airplane. The fuselage is currently in the jig fixture and we are still working on the wing attach points. We are using an F-105 nose gear and Bearcat mainstruts. This gives the airplane a tall stance on the ramp but about a one and half degree nose up attitude that allows plenty of clearance for the propellers both front and rear. The cruciform tail structure is still in the design stage but the suprisingly easy for us to obtain rear gear box, We used an allison P-63 nose case for the Rear Gear box is in place. this will allow for an inch smaller rear propeller as the nose cases front and rear are different ratio. the original flights will be using a radiator but boil off is in the works. We felt that this was too much to bite off on the start. The Large Lear fuselage was chosen because it allows us to place all the expendable fluids close to the C.G. and that will include Nitrous Oxide, Fuel and Spray Bar later Boiler water. Pete Law has run all the thermodynamic calculations for us, and we are well inside the envelope. The propellers are a propietary secret for now as is the final shape of the plane. The current plan is for 520 mile an hour lap speeds. We feel this will be necessary by the 2009 deadline we have for PRS. There should not be any more rumour leaks out of our facility as all employees were talked to this morning and reminded that this project is on a need to know basis. We have given the racer the name the "Final Solution" as the person bankrolling the project was a fan of the Laird Solution growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye
                      How about a Mig-17 with a Griffon???
                      I overheard a conversation in the pits several years ago. Skip Holm was discussing the merits of a Griffon powered Mig 21 (IIRC) with a coupe of men who seemed unfamiliar with air racing, but appeared to be "well-heeled."

It seemed to me that so much weight at the nose would require other and significant modifications (like moving the cockpit rearward)(shades of Matt Jackson's American Spirit).

I've always wondered if this idea progressed beyond the "dreamer" stage to paper.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris
                        I overheard a conversation in the pits several years ago. Skip Holm was discussing the merits of a Griffon powered Mig 21 (IIRC) with a coupe of men who seemed unfamiliar with air racing, but appeared to be "well-heeled."

It seemed to me that so much weight at the nose would require other and significant modifications (like moving the cockpit rearward)(shades of Matt Jackson's American Spirit).

I've always wondered if this idea progressed beyond the "dreamer" stage to paper.
                        First off, any time Skip is talking to someone "unfamiliar with air racing", he's probably yanking their chain somehow.

Second...prop clearance, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Red
                          I understand that Carl friend thought very little of the Lear winged Mustang and that he thought the Mustang wing on the Lear fuselage would work better. Carl was the chief Aerodynamics guy on the Rare Bear and also the guy that first started talking about the Cornell/Jackson American Spirit racer T2 Buckeye concept, according to a knowledgeable person that doesn't want to be quoted but has experience at Reno. There are those that think a Mustang winged Lear fuselage with a two Rolls Royce Griffons inside of the fuselage ala Do-335 complete with the cruciform tail section design would be capable of 520 MPH laps speeds
                          Red,

Do the boys in the band know you are playing their song? I was just wondering?
                          John Slack

Comment

things that make you scratch your head and say.... hummn....

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I saw this on the other site this morning, and wanted to share it with everyone over here, does anyone know anything about this, or is it just BS??? Quote: "Well the cat has apparently jumped out of the bag. we were hoping to at least be in the taxi test stage before anyone found out that we were in the process of building this airplane. The fuselage is currently in the jig fixture and we are still working on the wing attach points. We are using an F-105 nose gear and Bearcat mainstruts. This gives the airplane a tall stance on the ramp but about a one and half degree nose up attitude that allows plenty of clearance for the propellers both front and rear. The cruciform tail structure is still in the design stage but the suprisingly easy for us to obtain rear gear box, We used an allison P-63 nose case for the Rear Gear box is in place. this will allow for an inch smaller rear propeller as the nose cases front and rear are different ratio. the original flights will be using a radiator but boil off is in the works. We felt that this was too much to bite off on the start. The Large Lear fuselage was chosen because it allows us to place all the expendable fluids close to the C.G. and that will include Nitrous Oxide, Fuel and Spray Bar later Boiler water. Pete Law has run all the thermodynamic calculations for us, and we are well inside the envelope. The propellers are a propietary secret for now as is the final shape of the plane. The current plan is for 520 mile an hour lap speeds. We feel this will be necessary by the 2009 deadline we have for PRS. There should not be any more rumour leaks out of our facility as all employees were talked to this morning and reminded that this project is on a need to know basis. We have given the racer the name the "Final Solution" as the person bankrolling the project was a fan of the Laird Solution growing up." Unquote, sounds pretty interesting if it's true...........
                              Last edited by t-dub; 02-02-2008, 10:11 AM.
                              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Working...
                              X