Critical Mass in the Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical Mass in the Snow

I just had to share this photo with you. This is Critical Mass back in the Day in West Germany when it was registered D-COTE and flown by the DLB out of Lubeck. The photo was provided by Mr. Thomas Genth who's father was an FW-190 pilot with the Luftwaffe during the big war then went on to fly the Sea Fury as a target tug with th eDLB for 5,600 hrs including 900 hrs in D-COTE! Sea Fury in the snow, talk about Man Up!

Ken

Re: Critical Mass in the Snow

Attachment!

Comment

It appears I'm attachment Challenged...
      Attached Files

Comment

Thats awesome!

Comment

Fun in the snow,I'll bet the landing was exciting without snow boards.Great photo.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Love the "Don't-Shoot-Me-RED" paint! Thanks for posting!
            Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Thanks for sharingthe great Picture of CM from it previous life
              how would you like to fly out of that

Comment

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing.
                No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dwelle
                  I just had to share this photo with you. This is Critical Mass back in the Day in West Germany when it was registered D-COTE and flown by the DLB out of Lubeck. The photo was provided by Mr. Thomas Genth who's father was an FW-190 pilot with the Luftwaffe during the big war then went on to fly the Sea Fury as a target tug with th eDLB for 5,600 hrs including 900 hrs in D-COTE! Sea Fury in the snow, talk about Man Up!

Ken
                  I'd be curious to know his fathers comparisons of the flight characteristics of the Sea Fury vs. the 190. From talking to John Bradshaw(years ago) I understand the Sea Fury has excellent handling qualities with those tab boosted ailerons...and it is known that the FW-190 had a high rate of roll.

Comment

I just had to share this photo with you. This is Critical Mass back in the Day in West Germany when it was registered D-COTE and flown by the DLB out of Lubeck.
                    So,is that how she's going to look when she's done? I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by John
                      I'd be curious to know his fathers comparisons of the flight characteristics of the Sea Fury vs. the 190. From talking to John Bradshaw(years ago) I understand the Sea Fury has excellent handling qualities with those tab boosted ailerons...and it is known that the FW-190 had a high rate of roll.

I've asked him, I'll post the response when I get it.

Ken

Comment

Here's his answer-

i just called my father and asked him about the qualities of the FW 190 D9 and the Sea Fury. He remembers, that the Sea Fury was more dangerous when pulling up after a simulated ground attack. It could be that you found yourself surprisingly in an inverted spin flying upside down very quick. He believes, that this was due to the laminar profile used with this aircraft (i read something about the P51, having the same problem with this profile, should be easy to stall in close turns). The FW 190 D9 was more stable with her profile. Roll rate should be more or less similiar, regarding the power to weight, the FW was very good in climbing, it was possible to climb away from any enemy fighter without bigger problems in his rememberings (i don't know if this was with the MW 50 injection only or also without, possibly with ....). He told me, that he never tried this with a Sea Fury due to a lack of enemy's during his carreer with this aircraft after the war ...... ;o)

Comment

Here's his answer-

i just called my father and asked him about the qualities of the FW 190 D9 and the Sea Fury. He remembers, that the Sea Fury was more dangerous when pulling up after a simulated ground attack. It could be that you found yourself surprisingly in an inverted spin flying upside down very quick. He believes, that this was due to the laminar profile used with this aircraft (i read something about the P51, having the same problem with this profile, should be easy to stall in close turns). The FW 190 D9 was more stable with her profile. Roll rate should be more or less similiar, regarding the power to weight, the FW was very good in climbing, it was possible to climb away from any enemy fighter without bigger problems in his rememberings (i don't know if this was with the MW 50 injection only or also without, possibly with ....). He told me, that he never tried this with a Sea Fury due to a lack of enemy's during his carreer with this aircraft after the war ...... ;o)
                          Ken, thanks so much for the feedback! A very interesting answer. How often do we Americans get to ask questions of an FW-190 fighter pilot?...Especially someone who's flown the 190D and the Sea Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by John
                            How often do we Americans get to ask questions of an FW-190 fighter pilot?...Especially someone who's flown the 190D and the Sea Fury.
                            Amen!

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                            X