STEAM POWER FLIGHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEAM POWER FLIGHT

I found this and thought it was interesting. The pictures wouldn,t transfer with the text but was a fun read.

Solo

The Besler Steam Plane

A Travel Air 2000 biplane made the world's first piloted flight under steam power over Oakland, California, on 12 April 1933.

The strangest feature of the flight was its relative silence; spectators on the ground could hear the pilot when he called to them from mid-air.

The aircraft, piloted by William Besler, had been fitted with a two-cylinder, 150 hp reciprocating engine.

An important contribution to its design was made by Nathan C. Price, a former Doble Steam Motors engineer.

Price was working on high pressure compact engines for rail and road transport; the purpose of the flight was to obtain publicity

for this work. Following its unexpectedly favourable reception Price went to Boeing and worked on various aviation projects, but Boeing

dropped the idea of a steam aero engine in 1936. Price later worked for Lockheed where his experience with developing

compact burners for steam boilers helped to design Lockheed's first jet engine.

The advantages of the "Besler System" that were claimed at the time included the elimination of audible noise and destructive vibration;

greater efficiency at low engine speeds and also at high altitudes where lower air temperatures assisted condensation; reduced likelihood

of engine failure; reduced maintenance costs; reduced fuel costs, since fuel oil was used in place of petrol; reduced fire hazard

since the fuel was less volatile and operating temperatures were lower; and a lack of need for radio shielding.

For capacities in excess of 1000 horse power a turbine captures the energy released by the expansion of steam more efficiently

than a piston. Thus, the steam reciprocating engine turned out to be unsuitable for scaling up to the needs of large aircraft.

William Besler in front of the Airspeed 2000.

A very rare shot of the steam powered Airspeed 2000.

Engine layout as published in "Luftwissen"/Germany 1941.

Besler steam aero engine.

Besler steam plane in flight.

Approaching under steam!

Concept of the Besler steam plane demonstrator.

The Besler brothers proudly posing in front of their design.
    Last edited by Cloudchaser427; 01-16-2008, 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: STEAM POWER FLIGHT

Here's a You-Tube video of it:
    A Travel Air 2000 biplane made the world's first piloted flight under steam power over Oakland, California, on 12 April 1933.The strangest feature of the fli...

Gotta love that music!
    Note that the engine starts up backward, then forward!

Comment

Thanks for the link. I had read about the engine but the video was more fun.

Solo

Comment

Yet more proof that with enough hot air, anything will work.

Comment

That was remarkable. I wonder what the range was? (I know steam trains didn't get far without having to constantly refill with water).

Comment

what a great sense of humor those guys had!

Originally posted by uhhuh35
            Here's a You-Tube video of it:
            A Travel Air 2000 biplane made the world's first piloted flight under steam power over Oakland, California, on 12 April 1933.The strangest feature of the fli...

Gotta love that music!
            Note that the engine starts up backward, then forward!
            simply amazing

Comment

Yes it is amazing, I put a link to it on my myspace page.

Comment

There is a reproduction of one of the Besler engines at the Smithsonian. It was at Silver Hill when I saw it.
                Roger

Comment

Working...
                X