Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two stroke engines in a racer ?

I was wondering if anyone ever tried ? They seem to produce a lot more hps / cubic inches.

Cri Cri ( world's smallest 2 engine aircraft ) had 2 x 9 hp two strokes in the initial model.

Website about Colomban CriCri (Cri-Cri), the world smallest twin-engined airplane.
    Last edited by First time Juke; 01-14-2008, 08:29 AM.
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: Two stroke engines in a racer ?

Juke: You need a RR Crecy! Peas

Last edited by Peashooter; 01-14-2008, 10:26 AM.
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I just "designed" or I drew 3-views ready for a plane that could go after Arnold Ar-5 record. I was thinking about powering it with two small 2-strokes.

I think Crecy was for this project;

BTW: Peas...do ya know what this is ?

Last edited by First time Juke; 01-14-2008, 11:23 AM.

Comment

That's Dave Ronnenberg's Berkut -- sweet dude!
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Two strokes have been used before, even 2 stroke diesels.

I found a couple links.
          I guess there are some made for planes. Below is a great read about 2 stroke diesels for aircraft with up to 300hp for an air cooled 8 cyl two row radial.

Zoche Aero-Diesels, a German company developing radial aircooled two-stroke diesel engines, claims that its engine has been refined to the point where the engine delivers 58 percent more torque per liter of displacement than does a modern TCM IO-520 engine.

nothing big out there yet
          Last edited by Bob; 01-14-2008, 05:04 PM. Reason: bad link

Comment

Whats the deal with that flat 12 cyl diesel tu-stroke being developed for te sport racer guys.

any chatter?

Bmarsh

Comment

The hard part about trying a 2-stroke engine in an unlimited racer or sport class is finding a suitable powerplant and aviation-qualified parts for it.

There's not a lot of opposed-8, V-8 or V-12 two-cycle engines out there on the market large enough to do the job, and using several smaller engines just means a lot more parts to potentially break at the worst possible time.

4-strokes have made a lot of advancements in catching up in the H.P. department in the last 10-20 years, run cooler and get greater range per pound of fuel too.

Comment

I don't know much about the diesels but these guys make the baddest 2 strokes for snowmobiles

The biggest issue with these type of engine is that the tuned exhaust pipes that help them make the incredible power numebers are larger than the engine itself. 2 strokes also have no pressurized oil systems, lubrication is either injected or mixed in with the fuel, longenvity of engine parts are not near what you get in a 4 stroke. They do however make one heck of a fun ride!

An engine that is getting crazy power numbers is the Suzuki 1300cc Hayabus motor that has been turboed, putting out over 500 hp. These guys liked the engine so much they doubled it! http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

And listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YAFMZyBPI4

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat

2 strokes also have no pressurized oil systems, lubrication is either injected or mixed in with the fuel, longenvity of engine parts are not near what you get in a 4 stroke.

That is not *necessarily* true. Yes, most commercial gasoline 2-strokes use the crankcase for pre-compression and thus have to use a fuel/oil mixture to lubricate (by splash- yuck!) the moving parts. But the 2-stroke *cycle* itself doesn't have to be accomplished that way, and in fact no common 2-stroke diesels do so. They all have mechanical superchargers to pressurize the intake air (so that crankcase pre-compression with reed valves is not needed), inlet ports in the lower cylinder wall, and exhaust valves (Detroit diesel, EMD, etc) or another set of ports in opposed-piston designs (Fairbanks-Morse, Napier Deltic). A gasoline engine on the same architecture could theoretically be built... BUT, the big problem is intake/exhaust charge dilution. Diesels are much better suited to 2-stroke operation than gasoline engines because you can use the pressurized intake air to thorougly purge all the exhaust while the intake and exhaust ports are both open, and then fuel is only admitted AFTER the ports are closed. In fact, 2-stroke diesel superchargers are usually sized a few percent larger than the volumetric minimum so that they will "over blow" the cylinder (blow a bit of the fresh air all the way through and out the exhaust to insure that as little exhaust gas remains in the cylinder as possible). That's part of what gives Detroit Diesel 2-strokes that unique (and annoying to some people...) screechy exhaust sound. Since a gasoline engine has to have its fuel charge injected before the compression stroke starts, you can't over-blow it quite as completely, and 4-stroke designs are inherently more efficient.

Comment

Here is a vid of cri cri I found on where else? YouTube.

Last edited by Bob; 01-17-2008, 07:28 AM. Reason: bad link

Comment

New class of racing at Reno? LOL
                      Cheers

Comment

Here are more Cri Cri vids; http://flight.cz/cricri/english/cri-...eos-movies.php

Those snowmobile 995 ccm engines on this my TWEEDY BYRD..would make it go beyond mach 1.0 ! ( designed for the 100 ccm small two cylinder boxers with some enhancing .....420 USD a piece).

Tweedy Byrd is over 2 feet shorter than Cri Cri and spanning 2/3 feet less.

I would like to get this built someday by professionals...I am making a model of it ( first small and initially 1/3 scale ). Anyone interested of this fast plane with new kinda solutions...please PM me ! Blue Foam...any comments ?

rgds,

Juke
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by First time Juke; 01-17-2008, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ebutner
                          New class of racing at Reno? LOL

Why not ?

Comment

Just make laps around the home pylon.
                            Cheers

Comment

Well excuse me. I tought this was a swell idea.

A real POD-RACER ! 40 hp and 310 lbs takeoff weight

Racer with under $ 10 000 budget...now I get it...a trainer for the real racer...right ?!

I think I need a beer too !
                              Last edited by First time Juke; 01-17-2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X