Island In THE Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Island In THE Sky

I see where this movie in part was filmed at Truckee CA and Donner Lake. I know the crew stayed at the Donner Lake Lodge. Does anyone know the exact location of the filming? I'm some what familiar with the Truckee Airport area and it looks like it was filmed in that area. A friend of mine says it was filmed on Donner Lake......they actually landed a DC-3 there when it was frozen over. Does anyone have any info? I don't know why, but for some reason, filming locations have an interest to me. Thanks for the info.
    Brian

Re: Island In THE Sky

I hope its OK to post a link, (well, not a link, but whatever all these letters and numbers are called ) it seems like I recall conversation about that in the past, but dont recall the advice..
    In any case, this site confirmes your assesment of the location...rgr...

Last edited by RGRSTNDGBY; 12-29-2007, 07:54 AM. Reason: misspell...

Comment

Thanks for the link..........but what I'm trying to find out, are the scenes with the crew down and the DC-3 in the snow, was that at Donner Lake or the area around Truckee Airport. To me, it looks like Truckee Airport. I looked at Google Earth, and obviously the area has changed alot in the last 60 years or so, but appears the area just south of the airport could possibly be the filming location. Anyway, don't know why this intrigues me, but it does for some unknown reason. Thanks again for any info.
      Brian

Comment

In 1953, it was most likely the old Truckee airport. The location of (what's left of) that airport is just south of I-80, across from the new truck inspection station.

That seems to be confirmed by this page too:
        This is awkward.  You may be looking for a page that doesn't actually exist.  We're very sorry you've reached a no-one-at-home website page known as a 404 .  Please consider one of these options...

Rich

Originally posted by supercub
        Thanks for the link..........but what I'm trying to find out, are the scenes with the crew down and the DC-3 in the snow, was that at Donner Lake or the area around Truckee Airport. To me, it looks like Truckee Airport. I looked at Google Earth, and obviously the area has changed alot in the last 60 years or so, but appears the area just south of the airport could possibly be the filming location. Anyway, don't know why this intrigues me, but it does for some unknown reason. Thanks again for any info.
        Brian

Comment

Thanks Rich, that's some good info. That one photo that Dan Shively took of the old airport on the ground, certainly matches what one see's in the movie. I didn't think to look at the "little known airport site" which by the way, is great site for those that don't know about it. On my way to the Air Races next year, I'm going to make it a point to stop at the site of the old airport and take a look. Thanks again.
          Brian

Comment

I live about ten miles from Truckee. Pass by the airport all the time on 267. It looks nothing like it did in the movie. It's funny, I remember that movie popped up on cable awhile ago and thought to myself, "Gee, that sure looks like the hills we have around here."
            Last edited by hm66sk; 12-29-2007, 01:38 PM.
            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

I dont want to derail this thread too badly, however, the subject brings to mind another rescue film from 1955 titled "Top of the World" featuring Frank Lovejoy (from "Strategic Air Command" and "Men of the Fighting Lady") who attempts to rescue some fellow officers stranded in the frozen North.

The movie is cliche as far as the melodrama but the flying is quite interesting. Most notably a flight of four B-17H's and later on some F-82's are used to complete the mission and the flying sequences are outstanding.

Anyone know where this film took place?

Anthony
              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I only saw the first few minutes of that movie a few months ago, but did have some good flying in it. Was neat to see the F-82's and a Cessna 190/195 on skis. I'd like to see the rest of the movie. No, I don't know where it was filmed.......I'd guess Alaska, because I believe F-82's were based there and obviously it was filmed in a cold weather location.
                Brian

Comment

Working...
                X