Red Bulls P-38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bulls P-38

She's shiny, and sure good looking. Check out Ezell's web site, http://www.ezellaviation.com/ for their end of the year pictures. No more guessing she's going to be bright polish. I was able to go see it a week or so ago, and believe me, the pictures fall short. That is one BEAUTIFUL airplane. Nelson and his boys out did themselves on this one. Merry Christmas everyone.

Re: Red Bulls P-38

I think she's beautifulin the "bright polish" scheme. Dont understand what all the debate was about Could a P-38 look any better???
    "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I'll second that, the polished finish is beautiful. What a gorgeous bird. Wouldn't it be great if the Red Bull folks took her to Reno and let her run 'round the pylons one last time? Oh well, guess I can always hope...congrats to Ezell Aviation on a truly spectacular job.
      Mark Johnson
      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

I think Lefty would be pleased.
        "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

A friend of mine and I build custom trucks & cars models for use in some online racing games (mainly, 4x4 Evolution-2 and Monster Truck Madness-2).

Well, I came up with an idea for a tribute monster truck truck honoring Lefty's WHITE LIGHTNING, a plane we will no longer have the pleasure of watching turn the pylons (at least not in the paint scheme it sported for so many decades).

It's just a though being tossed around, but it will be a large truck with twin Allisons, same as a P-38.

The paint (not shown) would match the planes original; red white and blue, and the door will say "Pilot - Lefty Gardner".

Think it would look cool, or just weird? or both? ;-)

Sketch made in MSpaint (see? That cheapy paint program isn't TOTALLY useless. Heh-heh)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-24-2007, 11:04 AM.

Comment

One word comes to mind. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope we get to see it fly in person.

Steve

Comment

Slightly OT, but here's a pretty cool video of Lefty doin' his thing back in the day:

Mark Johnson
              Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

I personally like the XP-38 look with no guns and the polished skins. http://www.p-38online.com/xp38.html Also check out the cool intakes on top of the cowls.
                Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S.
                  I personally like the XP-38 look with no guns and the polished skins. http://www.p-38online.com/xp38.html Also check out the cool intakes on top of the cowls.
                  Looks like you'd encounter some boundary layer problems with those scoops.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                    A friend of mine and I build custom trucks & cars models for use in some online racing games (mainly, 4x4 Evolution-2 and Monster Truck Madness-2).

Well, I came up with an idea for a tribute monster truck truck honoring Lefty's WHITE LIGHTNING, a plane we will no longer have the pleasure of watching turn the pylons (at least not in the paint scheme it sported for so many decades).

It's just a though being tossed around, but it will be a large truck with twin Allisons, same as a P-38.

The paint (not shown) would match the planes original; red white and blue, and the door will say "Pilot - Lefty Gardner".

Think it would look cool, or just weird? or both? ;-)

Sketch made in MSpaint (see? That cheapy paint program isn't TOTALLY useless. Heh-heh)
                    I like it. Anything with Allison power is cool, let alone two!

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk
                      I like it. Anything with Allison power is cool, let alone two!
                      If that's the case, then you'd love Jeff Dane's AWESOME KONG II, an '84 Ford stepside with a V-1710 in the back, fed by four Predator carbs and it's own supercharger.

Photo of A.K.2 on this site: http://www.monstermayhem.org/forums/...ead.php?t=4157

I made a replica of this truck, V-12 and all (seee attached screenshots). Not the most accurate Allison model, but close enough for a videogame.

Mr Dane ran Awesome Kong-2 in the '80s for a couple of years, before the new race rules made it illegal, forcing him to switch to an automotive V8.

This video at Youtube of a corny little story shows the real Allison-powered Kong in action:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-25-2007, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Merry Christmas. I remember seeing that truck a few years ago in a four wheeler mag or something along those lines. I saw an Allison on the cover and I just had to flip through it and check it out. Why the rule change? The computer model looks good. Whew, that video was hard to watch! The sound of the Ally was the only thing that made me get all the way through it!
                        Last edited by hm66sk; 12-25-2007, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Mabey this is just the most detailed restoration story I have been able to watch, but, holy s$!&. That is a LOT of work. It is amazing how much work they put into this beautiful bird.

P.s. I miss White Lightnin'
                          My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Does anyone know if Redbull is still planning on putting a "rolling billboard" on the bottom of the wing? A few years ago, it was said that Redbull was going to put thousands of little lights (a la, the Goodyear Blimp) on the bottom of the wing to use for advertisements and such.

Comment

Working...
                            X