'STEADY THERE now, Hoss!'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'STEADY THERE now, Hoss!'

You don't have to convince any 'old school' still photographers & videographers on the merits of using a 'steadying-device', to help them achieve 'maximum sharpness' in their work.

Before the advent of today's digital photo technology with all its' ever-improving 'bells & whistles', and image stabilization for both camera lenses & bodies - tripods, monopods, pan-heads, & vee-lense supports were essential items for any serious professional or amateur to include in their equipment kit for assignment.

Today, one seldom sees them in use, and this stuff has always been a hassle to lug around on a shoot, especially in the hot Reno sun during the air races. (Not to mention, how they tend to hinder a photographer's mobility & reflexes in responding to the spontaneous activity and photo ops.). I pack my Tiltall or Bogen every year, and keep it handy in the trunk of my rental car at the races, but more often than not, I neglect to use it. Nontheless, those daytime super depth-of-field & low-light and available light night shots I've managed to take over the years wouldn't have been possible without them.

Here's a mini-portfolio of shots showcasing the use of these items & other techniques for steadying the camera, by air race photogs (some of whom we know!):

1. Sat. 9/18/82 - Getting the 'high-angle' using a tripod during late aftn. light, this unid'd. photographer shoots the pit action of Race #1 Bud Light Special F2G 'Super Corsair' from the team's support trailer.

2. Mon. 9/12/83 - Here's that same angle view of Race #1 the following year, with Race #19 Lou IV just beyond, and distant Home Pylon - all elements with good depth-of-field sharpness using ASA 64 Kodachrome, thanks to the use of my trusty tripod & cable release.

3. Thur. 9/14/00 - Another photo showing the great appeal of the high-angle composition: Early morning sunlight portrait of veteran race pilot - Skip Holm & Race #4 DAGO RED w/a Plymouth Prowler convertible for promo. Using Kodachrome ASA 25 slide film for maximum sharpness, and tripod & cable release are a must. (Early or late sunlight is always great for those long shadows to enhance your photos!).

4. Mon. 9/17/84 - Ground-level/eye-level tripod composition by Neal Nurmi (who mentored my early 35mm instruction & taught me the importance of using the tripod), of #1 Super Corsair on the Stead ramp. I know he's using Kodachrome 64 here. Even with the strong daylight, his use of a tripod means he wants super depth-of-field & max. detail for his picture composition.

5. Sun. 9/12/99 - The MONOPOD alternative: Mark Kallio in profile shown using his monopod for eye-level vantage ramp shooting at Reno. These are great for alot of reasons - they're lighter & more compact than a tripod, and also allow for easy long lense panning with the single point pivot leg, to help get better prop blur at slower shutter speeds, besides extra depth-of-field.

6. Mon. 9/17/84 - 'Medium Low-angle' photo compositioning by Bill Fant, using tripod & cable release for his ramp shot. Zoom lenses combined with a good eye & your imagination make for some great picture taking- 'variety of style'.

7. Tue. 9/13/05 - 'Low-angle' shooting using a wide-angle zoom lense performed by veteran aviation photographer - Charles E. 'Chuck' Stewart, to capture both Sport Class NXT racers- #42 RELENTLESS & #3 NEMESIS during a staged photo op. Utilizing his elbows to become as stable as possible without a small size tripod (or using an inverted tripod center post), Chuck shows his experience in 'getting-the-shot'.

8. Also 9/13/05 - Had to try out Chuck's angle & technique myself for my own shot of the two NXTs after he vacated his spot for this picture. As I recall - the racers got moved closer together by then, and there was some cast shadow overlap of #42 onto adjacent #3. (But hey - I really ain't complainin'!)

9. Reno '85 - The- 'ULTRA-LOW ANGLE' technique ("Ouch!!!") demonstrated by my pal Neal Nurmi on the Stead ramp. I'd bet most of us have tried this approach for getting a dramatic ground-level wide-angle airplane portrait at least once in their shooting career. If the picture is worth taking, then we exhibit no shame in making the attempt! <g>

10. Sat. 9/12/98 - Here's an example of what that 'U-L-A' technique offers in the way of unique photo compositioning, shooting Race #114 ARGONAUT (N19SF) following it's arrival with Brian Sanders as pilot. I should add, that I employed the modified version of 'U-L-A' technique, by laying on my back to get this photo. BTW - When framing your viewfinder composition - you need to remember to keep your big shoes out of the frame!!!

This thread's dedicated to all those aviation photogs who've tortured themselves lugging around a tripod at airshow & air racing events over the years. (I can attest that using one made a big impact on the quality of my photos when I did. Thanks, Neal!) DBD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM.

Re: 'STEADY THERE now, Hoss!'

More fun stuff, Buck -- you even got my beloved old hot rod BMW in the background of that shot of me...

N

Comment

Bucky,

You are a terrible influence (I hope) on other photographers.
      One could only wish that they document (written) such as you have helped us. These descriptions have vastly helped me "fill-in" missing
      parts & infomation of the planes and sport.
      (yes, I know it is a PITA to do)

.......oh,yeah.....the pics are great too !

Thanks,
      Mayday51
      Jim Gallagher

Comment

I have to agree with you Bucky - it was all about getting the shot, especially when it came to "dawn patrol" photography. My old Bogen tripod & fluid-dampered head was standard equipment - and although a real pita to tote around, it allowed me to get those pics that would have been impossible without this essential equipment. I wouldn't say it was torture though - it was just part of the game... and a great game it is
        Attached Files
        Mark K....

Comment

I've had that first Dago pic as a desktop off and on since it appeared on Pylon 1 years ago Mark, every time I need a shot of the Air race atmosphere. To me it is probably the Reno shot with the most "feeling". I can smell the exhaust, hear the merlin and feel the sun coming over the hills.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Ah, the Super Corsair. One of my all time favorites. RIP
            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

I have wondered why I have never seen a tripod set up with a Wimberly head like the bird photogs use. If I do one thing to improve my photography next year it will be to get sharper pictures. I'm in the process of trying to pin down the cause of some of the soft pictures. It's probably the slow shutter speeds and my shaky arms.
              Oh yah Merry Christmas guys and gals.
              Joel
              Last edited by Gray Fox; 12-24-2007, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Watching the 'Big Time Pros' at work...

They're serious- 'PROFESSIONALS-On Assignment' & traveling via long-distance International commercial jet airline commute to go to work for THE Big Sponsor of Reno NCAR event to gather top-quality images to satisfy global promo marketing requirements & super-critical ad agency directors. (Talk about being- 'UNDER PRESSURE'!!!). Steady photo-shooting technique is absolutely IMPERATIVE!

To wrap up this thread, here's some candid shots capturing two BREITLING pros working the Stead Ramp at Renos past. One obvious distinction between these guys & the majority of their working press photographer counterparts: they lug around a heck-ov-alot of studio equipment & field gear, and USE IT!

I recently had the opportunity to view some of their images taken at Reno - in viewing a copy of the 9/07 BREITLING product catalog I got from a UPS Captain friend who snagged it while logging an international flight. Their beautiful stylized photo compositions were completely different from what I'd imagined them taking, and from my own shots captured from alongside their shooting stations!

Photos 1 - 4: Sat. 9/6/03 - Espen Gees hard-at-it, capturing large-format camera photo portraits of P-51D Race #5 VOODOO, and Super Yak- Race #86 Czech Mate. Note, Espen's working from 'the dark side of the plane' - during harsh high-sun conditions ('against-the-light'), versus shooting a sunlit subject. Strobe stands w/power packs, filter kits and a tripod adjusted for ultra-low angle photos give some hints about what sort of shot he might be after.

Photos 5 - 7: Reno 2006 - I'm guessing this is Daniel Buhler- shooting the gorgeous, mirror-polished bare metal P-51D N514DK, right after it was flown-in to Stead by Pete Regina. Even while using a wide-angle lens for closeup portraits of the Mustang, this pro's relying upon his light-weight tripod for maximum photo sharpness. (BTW-This P51 is the former Race #39 The Healer, owned by the late Joe Kasparoff & previously raced often by Skip Holm. It was entered for Bill Rheinschild to at Reno '06 as #39, but wasn't qualified.)

Hopefully, reading this thread might inspire a few shooters to think about dusting-off that old tri-legged anchor piece & cable release, for another session of steady tripod photography (or at least digging thru their photo archives to see what they got using one in the past!). DBD
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BuckyD; 06-23-2008, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Pretty impressive, indeed! After experiencing Dan Patterson's shoots at GML, a part of what they do that is different is the 40-50+ mp digi bodies they use!

Got the chance to see some of Dan's work "live" on his tethered computer... to say that it was razor sharp and every single detail was in hand would be understating what they were doing..

But... I guarantee, they don't have as much fun as we do Bucky!!

Wanna thank you personally for sharing your work and insights here lately!

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

[QUOTE=AAFO_WSagar]

But... I guarantee, they don't have as much fun as we do Bucky!!

Roger that, Wayne. Before 'digital' came in, ... a few times I considered showing up one year at the races w/a few racks of beer, my 20x70-power binos & a shoppin' bag full of 'throw-away' point-and-shoot box cameras - to reup for the die-hard air race fan 'fun-factor' experiences.
                    Figured it might be rejuvenating to 'take a break' one time from luggin' around dual bodies, a camera bag and a tripod for ten days straight - ridin' the 'shoe-leather express' to chase-down every airplane photo op possible. Didn't happen <g>. DBD

Wanna thank you personally for sharing your work and insights here lately!

Thanks for your kind appreciation, and for the great venue and opportunity for us to share! DBD
                    Last edited by BuckyD; 01-24-2008, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
                      a few times I considered showing up one year at the races w/a few racks of beer, my 20x70-power binos & a shoppin' bag full of 'throw-away' point-and-shoot box cameras - to reup for the die-hard air race fan 'fun-factor' experiences.
                      There's a lot within what ye say my friend!!!!!

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

This is still one of my favorites, using Dago's tug as a tripod. I was too afraid to run back to the car to get the tripod, and miss the engine test. Still wish I would have got the whole prop.

Comment

Now one of my favorites, too! Tim- didn't you mention previously that this photo is the B&W version of your original color pic? If so, can we see it in color here? THX! DBD

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
                            Now one of my favorites, too! Tim- didn't you mention previously that this photo is the B&W version of your original color pic? If so, can we see it in color here? THX! DBD
                            Yes, the color version is not on my site, I'll have to dig it up when I get home.

Comment

Ordinarily I have the sense to stay out of these things, but on this occasion I have to make a contribution.

It's September '87, and that's DBD hisself workin' it to capture the essence of Bill Destefani, Dwight Thorne and Bill Kerchenfaut posing with their winning thoroughbred, Strega.

(click)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X