Smirnoff/ DG &"Z"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smirnoff/ DG &"Z"

While doing some research for a early Top Fuel resto project for a friend , I came across an article written in 1967 about DG and Dave "Z". It is a bit O/T but priceless just the same . It can be found at Cacklecars.com and go to the Smirnoff AA/FD rebuild .

Re: Smirnoff/ DG &"Z"

....try this link :

Cacklefest, Drag racing photos, top fuel dragsters, nostalgia drag racing, nitro
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher

Comment

very cool, i read that piece from start to finish what a great read about a great aviator who is a drag racer.... here in NZ one of our greatest drag racers is one of our most respected warbird pilots/restorers, Garth Hogan who runs Pioneer Aero, these guys have gained a reputation for P-40's two P-40's restored by Pioneer have won awards at Oshkosh and Sun n Fun, Dick Thurmans P-40K-5 and Jerry Yagen's P-40E. Dick thurmans K-5 won reserve grand champion at Oshkosh 01 and Pioneer won the Golden Wrench.
      Jerry Yagen E model won Grand Champion WWII at sun n fun and best fighter at Oshkosh 04, where Pioneer again won the golden Wrench.
      Check out http://www.pioneeraero.co.nz/

Garth Hogan for many years was one of our top Drag racers, winning multiple titles and records.
      Garth was the first NZ funny car driver to break 7 seconds in 1977, and was also the first NZ Drag racer in any class to run a 200mph pass in 1978.
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I think it is kind of strange that the Blind Man's Bluff team was consider "those car guys". You never hear Dave Zeuschel called that. And if you have read any of Larry's post I think you can realize that generalizing that team as "car guys" grossly understates their attributes.

It seems it is fine to be a plane guy that races cars and planes but not a race car guy that wants to race airplanes. Just an observation.

Comment

You gotta add unlimited hydroplanes...D.

Comment

OH Yeah. Those too. I know they used mostly aviation engines but that's what I'm talking about.

Gear heads are gear heads and racing takes pretty much the same commitment at the highest level regardless of what kind of racing it is.
            Last edited by wyhdah; 12-13-2007, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X