Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'MAN-O-WAR MASTHEAD'! (-Remove B-4 Flight!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'MAN-O-WAR MASTHEAD'! (-Remove B-4 Flight!)

Whenever we're at a motorsport racing venue & notice a hot-looking racer, we can't help but wonder what's under the hood. Usually, there's alot more that we think, huh? Besides a sleek-looking airframe & flashy paint job, and that roaring monster motor, it takes alot more to reliably go-fast to get to the checkered-flag first & take home a big shiny trophy & paycheck: An expert crew chief & maintenance team is at the top of the equipment list!

One of the best in the warbird restoration & aviation maintenance field, with long & deep involvement in air racing, is- Chris Wood. Giving his impression of one of those all-important, colorful masthead figures gracing the bows of historic man-o-wars, whalers & Yankee Clipper sailing ships riding the high seas - Chris is obviously still a kid-at-heart w/a great sense of humor!

Being an old friend, and knowing air racing photographers are always hunting for a good photo op - one day during the '95 Phoenix 500 air races (Wed. 3/22/95), Chris beckoned me over to the Museum of Flying pit area. "Here's a cool shot for ya...", he said, and proceeded to crawl into the chin intake of their P-47D (NX1345B - Race #47, flown then by Unlimited rookie race pilot - Bob 'Hurricane' Hannah). Chris had me in stiches, and it took a few moments to compose myself enough to deal with the technicalities required for shooting these two photographs.

Thanks again, Chris Wood, for the inspiration AND all your great team work behind the scenes to 'Keep 'em Flyin' for us all to enjoy and appreciate at airshows & air racing events over the years.

Don 'Bucky' Dawson
    Attached Files

Re: 'MAN-O-WAR MASTHEAD'! (-Remove B-4 Flight!)

Now who gets to that??? Thats pretty cool.. actually very cool shot!

Cheers..

Jeff

Comment

Re: 'MAN-O-WAR MASTHEAD'! (-Remove B-4 Flight!)

Brings new meaning to "climb aboard'? Thats a pretty funny/cool shot. Not many people have been down the throat of a P47.

Will

Comment

Working...
      X