Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE FUTURE OF AIR RACING......................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE FUTURE OF AIR RACING......................

.......Lives in the Hearts of Young Fans.

Don 'Bucky' Dawson
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 06-23-2008, 09:32 PM.

Re: THE FUTURE OF AIR RACING......................

Bucky,
    Where was picture #2 taken? I see the date is 1986. I am curious because of the silver jacket on one of the adult fans. Looks like it could be Richland, WA??? Or at least the fan was there.
    Betty
    Last edited by ShermB; 11-28-2007, 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Hi Betty! Photo was taken Mon. 9/15/86 at Reno Stead during photo shoot of Alan Preston multi-class race team members w/their aircraft. That is Ray Cote wearing a #44 Miss Behavin' T-6 race team jacket. Neal Nurmi & I were the primary photographers for this session. (That's Skip Holm's young son - Sky, wearing the helmet.) DBD
      Last edited by BuckyD; 11-28-2007, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
        That is Ray Cote wearing a #44 Miss Behavin' T-6 race team jacket.
        Looks exactly like the logo that the Richland (Washington) Air Races in '86 used, hence Betty's question.

Comment

Hi Bucky and Randy.You guys and your memories/knowledge are fantastic!
          Yes, the logo on the jacket is the reason I asked. Both Ray Cote and Alan Preston raced in Richland in '86. Our logo was done by "Charlie Tuna" of Tuna Graphics, which was just a little shop at that time. Preston liked his work so well that he commissioned him to do art work for his team. Tuna Graphics went on to bigger and better things. I still have my original shirt as well as the one that Brad outgrew.
          Betty

Comment

Thanks, Bucky for the posting of the "Maniyak" in pics #1 and #3. I've been crewing for Tom Camp since 1990 and Tom has always allowed me to have kids sit in and have their picture taken in his racers. The look on the faces of these kids is definitely worth the time it takes. Hopefully we have influenced one to become involved in aviation.

Wayne Cook, Race 58, 00, 2 "Maniyak"

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
              .......Lives in the Hearts of Young Fans
              Amen Bucky!

Remember a few years back when we were loading the busses where we park now, eating in the area next to the press sign-in area at the west gate?

Remember the man-gate and little isle through the press eating trough... one day after getting off the bus and waiting in line for our extremely nice catered lunch, I spotted a kid, prolly about 9-11 yrs, on his bike at that open gate.. As you'll remember.. there were no guards on that small gate.. I first noticed him when he was totally outside the gate.. eyeballing the traffic... "hummn... no guard.. wonder if anyone would notice me going through?"..

Watched him while I ate.. he got closer... nobody noticed... then he stuck a wheel in the gate... nobody noticed.. his eyes were full of excitement and anticipation of what he was about to pull off..

Next time I saw him, he was riding his bike around the pits...

TRULY.... a kid at the "Airport Fence"...

I read somewhere a long time ago that the "Future of aviation lies with the kid at the Airport Fence"...

I think in some ways, all of us here who frequent this site.. be they low time pilots, no time fans, or high time, very experienced race pilots (and everywhere in-between).. we're all born from that kid at the fence in some way or other!

NICE view Bucky!

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The new blood is out there....

Was at the +/- 2000 opening of the San Carlos, CA air museum... Hiller i believe.

I was checking out the model section, to get a gift or something and i observed a 9 year old boy engrossed in a partially assembled P51 in a box... probably to purchase.

To put a long story short........ he started espousing with great passion about the attributes of the P51 !!!!!!!!!!

I was amazed at his energy and passion.... i saw myself in him when i to was putting my first model together in 1954... it was a "mysterous" Mig 15.......... back in the day.

The next generation is out there... lurking..... just like we did

OL guy...BM

Comment

I have a 2.5 y.o. Grandson that is passionate about airplanes. Don't know how it got started, but now he gets "Papa's" airplane magazines when I'm done with them. He is so careful with them, no torn pages, no covers ripped off (unlike everything else he gets hold of), and kept in a special place. Can't wait to get him to the airport to see, feel, and touch the real thing. Then there's the first airplane ride, and who knows what after that.

I just hope the passion can be nurtured and he is given the space to grow with it and it to grow with him. He is sure to be "the kid at the airport fence".
                  Last edited by Skyracer; 11-29-2007, 12:50 PM.

Comment

My day "At the airport fence" was with my uncle in San Luis Obispo in 1955....still remember that to this day....so excited I think I wet my pants....Ha!!!!
                    Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

My two daughters, ages 10 and 11, attended Reno for the first time this year.

My Mom asked if they had a good time and wanted to go again next year. So I asked that question to the girls. It was an enthusiastic "YES!" from each of them. I then asked what was their favorite part of Reno; the 10 year old started to speak, then paused, then said, "Everything." The 11 year old said, "The last race!" So I think yet another Rare Bear fan has been minted.

P.S. The 10 year old was impressed by Glacier Girl. With a few photos of GG and my daughter in front of it, and some internet research, she completed an extra credit report for her class.

Comment

.......Lives in the Hearts of Young Fans.

DBD
                        Attached Files

Comment

here is one to share . Shawn
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X