Lyle Shelton & Rare Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lyle Shelton & Rare Bear

Mr Lyle Shelton should write a BIG book telling all his life in the air racing activity, with sections about his biography, when he was in the Navy, the planes he flew, the racers, the people he met. Also, it could has a description, intimating with the warbird, the bearcat, what he felt in the cockpit during the take off, during the race and landing, what he had to watch mainly, and so on. It can include the world records and the race speed records, the race results. Not to mention, the other pilots who flew the racer. A deep description of the modifications the Bearcat underwent and why. So many things to put in its pages, the photos, etc. All in a unique book, at least until he was the owner of Rare Bear. Today I find separate, scattered information. Excuse me if I´m wrong informed, may be it was already writen. I hope so. I would be very grateful.
    It would be a nice piece of art, a gift to all the fans that cannot live that wonderful experience. Just thinking in loud voice. Thank you.

Re: Lyle Shelton & Rare Bear

I agree that he should write it... Knowledge is a good thing......Its History.

Comment

Dell Roak is is working on one dont know what the statis is ? Shawn

Comment

Taglialavore,

That would be a great undertaking, and one that with Lyle's many other interests that he has, will probably never happen. Lyle's current interest is aerobatics, not writing. as has been mentioned Dell Roarke is working on a book and has been for years. As for the kind of book on the Rare Bear as a racer, Brad Haskin would be the best guy for that effort in my opinion. However with the book that was written on the racing Bearcats and Corsairs a few years ago covering a lot of ground. I think the best platform on that would be a technical book on the Two noteworthy Bearcats of racing and 3 Km history. If you are familiar with the style of Eddie J. Creek and J. Richard Smith, that would be a great read.

The end problem is money, once you have taken the time to write the book, found a publisher that will publish the highly esoteric book. Do you even have 500 people that will invest over one hundred dollars on the book? once again probably not.

So if people want that then cutting and pasting is an alternative. I hope your Aunt and Uncle are doing fine, please send them our my best wishes.
        John Slack

Comment

Thank you John for the books you mentioned.
          You know Lyle is the racing history alive.
          I´ll give your best wishes to Joe and Angela.
          Thank you again.

Comment

John I think YOU should write the book.
            You have all the knowledge of what has happened in his life and yours.
            I would buy it.

DO IT JOHN...................

Comment

Originally posted by tomy2gunn
              I would buy it.

That was my real intention.

Comment

Originally posted by tomy2gunn
                I would buy it.

If Brad Haskin is on board Maybe,

But Neal Nurmi will have to be photo editor.
                John Slack

Comment

John,

I dont think you have have much trouble convincing them to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                    Taglialavore,

That would be a great undertaking, and one that with Lyle's many other interests that he has, will probably never happen. Lyle's current interest is aerobatics, not writing. as has been mentioned Dell Roarke is working on a book and has been for years. As for the kind of book on the Rare Bear as a racer, Brad Haskin would be the best guy for that effort in my opinion. However with the book that was written on the racing Bearcats and Corsairs a few years ago covering a lot of ground. I think the best platform on that would be a technical book on the Two noteworthy Bearcats of racing and 3 Km history. If you are familiar with the style of Eddie J. Creek and J. Richard Smith, that would be a great read.

The end problem is money, once you have taken the time to write the book, found a publisher that will publish the highly esoteric book. Do you even have 500 people that will invest over one hundred dollars on the book? once again probably not.

So if people want that then cutting and pasting is an alternative. I hope your Aunt and Uncle are doing fine, please send them our my best wishes.
                    Hey John! Its been a long time mate!! I'm sure you remember me. I had the great pleasure of crewing the Bear with you in '94.Indeed you should get off your ass and do a book on the Bear. Hows Lyle these days? Sorry I havent had the chance to catch up with you for so long but I've been living and working in Asia for the last 13 years. Hope to hear from you!!
                    Take care,
                    Cameron

Comment

Like John Penney implied in his post after the 07 race weekend, Lyle Shelton is "the man" in the unlimited world and history should remember him as such. If not a book than an interview perhaps. Money? Since when has money mattered if you have plenty of it...lol! There must be somebody out there with a big heart and the wallet to match!

Comment

Currently there isn't a need to go through the whole process of finding a publisher to get a book printed, and sales no longer have to enter into the choice to make the book available to the public.

The world of anime has expanded the borders of self-publishing, and even better, publishing on demand. I have a great book on High Power Rocketry that runs a few hundred pages and is a publish on demand book. Print quality is high, photo is average- but its possible to publish at any quality level.

If that isn't easy enough, a book could also be published on a DVD and retain full quality photos along with the text...and the added bonus of being able to include movies.

I'd love to see a book on Lyle, and many other notables from the world of air racing. I'd like to see the interveiws, the stories and the graphics saved before is too late to record them. I urge those already working on projects, and those talking about projects to work on completing them and seeking non-traditional means of publishing......

Comment

Working...
                        X