R/C scale (reno style) airracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R/C scale (reno style) airracing

As per juke's comments on air racing....

Is the semiscale 6 footers that look like ww2 warbirs using VERY large r/c motors or small motorcyvles ...... are they still around?

any web sites?

saw a demo of these birds at a giant scale event many years ago

waaaz up? 2 day

BMarsh

Re: R/C scale (reno style) airracing

Right now the Unlimited Scale Racing Association has rules established for 7 classes, Experimental, Unlimited, F-1, F-1GT, AT-6, Biplane and Thompson Trophy. Currently, Experimental and Thompson Trophy have no participants, but that could change in the future.

The Unlimited class is setup so that all aircraft are scaled to 100" wingspans and must be based on an aircraft that has raced at Reno, Mojave, Phoenix, Miami, etc. The engines can be of any displacement as long as the complete engine weighs less than 14 lbs. Right now the largest engine that fits these requirements is about 300cc. These airplanes reach speeds of 240+ mph.

The F-1 class is setup where all aircraft are 42% scale replicas of full-sized F-1 racers. Wing area must be a minimum of 1675 sq in, and engine displacement is limited to 81 cc. Engine mods, props, and fuel are open to development. This class reaches speeds of 185+ mph and because of their lighter weights turn lap times very close to the Unlimiteds.

F-1GT is the same as F-1, but engines, prop, and fuel are set to a controlled spec and cannot be modified. Speeds are about 150 mph.

T-6 racers are scaled to 100" wingspans (I forget the scale percentage) and are limited to a specific engine which must remain stock, a set prop, and a set fuel. Speeds are about 150 mph.

Biplanes are set to a minimum wing area, and a specific stock engine. Prop and fuel are open.

The Experimental class roughly equates to the Sport class, with airplanes being scaled to a 100" wingspan, and a 210 cc displacement limit on the engines. Speeds are about 235+ mph.

Probably more info than you ever wanted...but you can learn more at:
    www.usrainfo.org ... pictures, rules, records, race results....

KennyMac

Comment

Thanks for the great info Kenny....aren't you a current and/or past winner in some of these classes? (It's okay to toot your own horn for a moment, inquiring minds and all that.....)
      Kathleen

Comment

Humm........

the unlimited class motors can go to 14#

OK.... how many r3350 pistons can i use to get to the 14# limit.

Everything else.... ill work out later (minor details)

Bmarsh

(how much does a henway)

Comment

Thanks Kathleen...

Yes, I've had some success racing in F-1, Unlimited and T-6 classes.

Here's a link to some pictures.

KennyMac

That's me on the left with the orange GR-7
          Last edited by GR7Racer; 11-26-2007, 03:11 PM.

Comment

GR-7, I have always wanted to race in that class and I will probably later in my life after school looks like a lot of fun , If you don't mind me asking How much would a racer like that cost, If it is anything like the 3D Gasser prices it may have to wait a little longer lol

I fly 3D with a 50cc Aero-works 260 and It is REALLY EXPENSIVE!!!!!
            W.Hughes

Comment

Hey GR7, you need to talk the event organizers into coming back to Glendale AZ. I went to that race years ago and it was very cool. That's was when the big Braun (Spell) racing team was around and Dennis Crooks was racing his beautiful P-38.
              Last edited by Jason S.; 11-26-2007, 11:13 PM.
              Jason Schillereff

Comment

The kits are priced in the $1000-$2500 range, depending on the model. They fly pretty good, and if you can handle a large aerobatic bird, then you can fly one of these racers.

The engines for the GT class are stock Zenoah GT-80s and run about $700 new. The F-1 class typically uses modified versions of this engine that adds another $300-$400. The Unlimited class engines are in the $1300 to $3000 range.

We'd love to come back to Glendale, I raced there back in the mid-'90s. We're looking for a place out here on the West coast for this year's event, so it's a possibility. We try to go to airports that have little activity so we don't disrupt things too much, so that's a consideration as well. Glendale was pretty small and not too busy back then, I imagine it's busier now.

Ralph Braun does't race with us much anymore, he's gone on to field stock cars in the Busch (Nationwide) series. I think Jason Leffler is his driver.

KMac

Comment

GIANT R/C SCALE.... WOW

At the time.... they had a sortta US scale in the Las Vegas area (in the 90s ??)

The german team would show up with a cool rides... one year was a huge B17 with 2 or more guys flying ( 2 TXrs, one doing the flying and the 2 TXr doing the trim, landing gear, etc) these huge planes.... very impressive.

The last time i went, I think it was las vegas too, the german "team" came up with a Jap "Bakka Bomb" or a nazzi "V1".... later, i was told that some one clocked this huge pulse jet (complete with a lunch ramp!!)... the "official word" was that the military clocked (on radar) the scale or near scale entry at 245 klicks. Too cool.

Bmarsh

Comment

Hey Bill that sounds like the QSAA rally they had at the dry lake just outside of town near Boulder City. That was a cool show back in the 80's, 90's. I only made it to one but have lots of video from over the years. If it's the same as you're talking about, the German guys always came with something spectacular. I have a video of their Me-163 with a 50lb. thrust pulse jet doing close to 300mph, and on another video they had brought a Wright flier (the model in which they flew in a seated position). It spanned about 15ft. or so, with wing warping as well. They even had some electronics in the pilot so when the control surfaces moved he moved the stick and rudders in unison.
                    Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S.
                      I only made it to one but have lots of video from over the years.
                      Wasn't that called R/C Video Magazine? I remember playing many of those back when I was working in a hobby shop, years ago. Wore out more than a couple of copies. Those were pretty good.

Cheers
                      Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by G. van Dyk
                        Wasn't that called R/C Video Magazine? I remember playing many of those back when I was working in a hobby shop, years ago. Wore out more than a couple of copies. Those were pretty good.

Cheers
                        Gerry
                        That would be them. I used to have the subscription. I'm in the process of getting them all converted to DVD.
                        Jason Schillereff

Comment

Anyone know if this is any real F-1 racer ?

RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums, blogs, videos and classifieds.
                          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                            Anyone know if this is any real F-1 racer ?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=866438
                            Yes, it is a real F1. Unfortunately, I believe this aircraft was involved in a recent accident

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
                              Yes, it is a real F1. Unfortunately, I believe this aircraft was involved in a recent accident

Michael
                              Oh my god. I did not know that.

This plane does look very competetive.

Is there any report of the accident that I could read about ?

Thanks Michael about the Info...I was afraid it could be one of them since I never saw it before and new nothing about it.

I was able to find this; http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS18/71105035
                              Last edited by First time Juke; 11-29-2007, 04:16 AM.
                              http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X