Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast will the "Ghost" Gallop?

...Just for fun...

Speculation on the speed potential of Jimmy Leeward's Galloping Ghost leads me to predict -based on the speeds Cloud Dancer posted with engine and modifications, the following:

Known: Cloud Dancer(C.D.) 2006 = approx435mph.

Speculation: Galloping Ghost 2008(hopefully) w/similar engine and prop combo as C.D.(2006)... starting at 435mph + 10mph(Crocker's canopy) + 15mph(smoothed laminar flow wings) + 15mph(drag reduction minus scoop) + 5mph(aircraft possibly being lighter than C.D.) = 480mph(conservative @2006 density altitude).

Anything else??
    Last edited by John; 11-21-2007, 10:52 AM.

Re: How fast will the "Ghost" Gallop?

Throw in a -10mph due to the wings being too dang short and you have my guess of 470. The cool factor will be off the scale though.
    Last edited by Race5; 11-21-2007, 01:21 PM.

Comment

LARS qualified at 457 mph in 1988, which would be about 467 to 470 mph on the course as they measure it now, in that configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
        LARS qualified at 457 mph in 1988, which would be about 467 to 470 mph on the course as they measure it now, in that configuration.
        So... 457 + 10 + 15 + 15 + 5 - 10 = 492... not bad
        Bill Garnett
        InterstellarDust
        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

one point though...

if lengthened correctly the scoop will produce thrust so i think it might be a wash on that modification

Comment

Re: one point though...

Originally posted by JET1
            if lengthened correctly the scoop will produce thrust so i think it might be a wash on that modification
            I think it's a commonly held misnomer that the Mustang scoop "adds thrust" so you're loosing thrust if you remove it. The scoop is pretty draggy overall, just as the P-40 chin is very draggy. The design of the scoop where the heated air behind the radiator is accelerated is ingenious to say the least, but the thrust generated only makes up for a portion of the drag. In absolute terms removing the radiator is a net gain.

Cheers
            Gerry

Comment

dont tell tiger that...

Originally posted by G. van Dyk
              I think it's a commonly held misnomer that the Mustang scoop "adds thrust" so you're loosing thrust if you remove it. The scoop is pretty draggy overall, just as the P-40 chin is very draggy. The design of the scoop where the heated air behind the radiator is accelerated is ingenious to say the least, but the thrust generated only makes up for a portion of the drag. In absolute terms removing the radiator is a net gain.

Cheers
              Gerry
              he spent a lot of time and money working with the mustang "kings" to work through the theory...

Comment

Re: dont tell tiger that...

Originally posted by JET1
                he spent a lot of time and money working with the mustang "kings" to work through the theory...
                Point well taken Jet ;-)

I have no inside knowledge but I'd have to expect that removing the scoop was one of the cosiderations by the Dago Red brain trust, including Frank Taylor, Bill Destefani, Pete Law, Bruce Boland, Mike Nixon. (there's a vault of knowledge). They're compromise to the problem was to reduce the size of the scoop and extend the rear exit ramp, both reducing drag. Did Tiger improve on the system in Strega? I don't know if they went "over the hump" of more thrust than drag, but even if not, it'd be a less expensive and more practical system than removing it and devising an entirely new cooling system.

Apparently, the Leeward Gang have come up with a different compromise solution. ;-)

Cheers
                Gerry

Comment

Re: dont tell tiger that...

tiger worked with Lee Atwood as well....I dont know about Frank I didn't ask him last year at the races!

Comment

Some of that Scoop design, notably the lengthened door can be attributed to "The Doctor"_Dwight Thorn(on Strega)...D.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                      The cool factor will be off the scale though.
                      Cool factor...I love it !! ; )
                      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by G. van Dyk

Cheers
                        Gerry
                        If removing the radiator and doghouse is the way to go, why did Tsunami ever have one in the first place? When starting with a clean sheet of paper don't you think Mr. Boland would have said,"Well we don't need that. It'll slow us down."
                        "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

'cause ultimately it was Mr. Sandberg that needed that to go back and forth to Minnesota...D.

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk
                            If removing the radiator and doghouse is the way to go, why did Tsunami ever have one in the first place? When starting with a clean sheet of paper don't you think Mr. Boland would have said,"Well we don't need that. It'll slow us down."
                            Well I never claimed to be an expert, I just read a lot. (not in the calibre of many on this site however. ) But I suspect David is quite right, when the owner of the airplane specifies a liquid cooled engine, and a cross country requirement, I imagine the compromise works out to keeping the coolant on-board rather than dumping it overboard as it's used. The instrument panel starts sprouting widgets not required for the pylons as well. There's not many ariplanes in any class that have ever shown up at Reno that race and race only. Especially when the winner's purse won't even cover the week's expenses. Everyone comes to their own compromise.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during those early discussions between Mr. Sandberg and Mr. Boland, long before they started cutting aluminum.

Cheers
                            Gerry

Comment

Good answers.
                              "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                              X