Being - JOHNNY-ON-THE-'SHOT'!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being - JOHNNY-ON-THE-'SHOT'!!!

We air racing photographers tend to get a little- 'trigger-happy' w/our shutter buttons tryin' not to miss those quick-happening photo ops at the races...

With that in mind - Here's PROOF of that, with a 'candid' photograph capturing a few of the veteran press corps gang (competing as always) making an effort to- 'Get-THE-Shot!' - out on the course at the '95 Phoenix 500 Air Races. Sat. 3/25/95: L-R: Yukio Nagai, Colin Aro, Chuck Aro, Neal Nurmi & Richard VanderMeulen.

BuckyD

P.S. I'd like to propose this shot launch a new thread inviting anyone to post shots showing photogs 'at-work' composing or shooting photographic subjects at the air races. (No 'posed' pics for these, however w/ ID or incognito).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BuckyD; 06-23-2008, 11:14 PM.

Re: Being - JOHNNY-ON-THE-'SHOT'!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont care who ya are, thats funny

Comment

bring back some memerious

Comment

As Ducky has asked for...............here a few candids of real professionals and one alien recently spotted out on the desert. I can dig up a few more, if the thread warrants it.

Dave
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's a bunch of unidentified shooters at Kingsley Field AFB in Klamath Falls, OR on Aug. 8, 2007.....there was a squadron of F-15's there for the week. I was passing thru on my harley on a trip up and around Washington and Oregon....just stopped by when I saw a group of 15's coming in on final.....got there just in time to see the final fueler coming in...timing is everything.....
          Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

And here's Bucky Dawson himself, on the left, waiting for something photogenic to happen.

Being a big time pro photog involves an awful lot of standing and wandering, waiting for something interesting to happen...

Photo by Birgitta Nurmi
            Attached Files

Comment

And more waiting...

That's Birgitta standing up on the golf cart...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                Being a big time pro photog involves an awful lot of standing and wandering, waiting for something interesting to happen...
                And what we amatures are envious of is where Buckey and Birgitta are standing while waiting.

Good on 'ya for getting the gig, but I hope you'll forgive us when us grunts back on the crowd line grumble under our breath.

Cheers
                Gerry

Comment

I would hope all the press are as appreciative as I am of the incredible privileges we have. We do spend a lot of money and year-round effort to produce enough coverage of the races to keep the privilege, but the access never ceases to be a joy.

So some grumbling is understandable, even though we work hard for what we get. I just hope the grumblers can enjoy what we produce...

Neal
                  Last edited by wingman; 11-23-2007, 07:00 PM.

Comment

This is Jim Larsen -- a true legend! Jim photographed the very first Reno in 1964, and has been producing wonderful stuff ever since. Jim and his sons wrote and did the photography for the Air Classics coverage of Reno 2007, including the remarkable cover shot.

In his spare time Jim is a well-known aeronatical engineer, with Boeing, I believe (though I think he's retired now). He designed John Crocker's very slick "Sumthin Else", and the strakes seen on Strega to this day. He is presently a consultant fo the Mike Brown team, and designed the new wing tips on that Racer this year.

Neal
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                      This is Jim Larsen -- a true legend! Jim photographed the very first Reno in 1964, and has been producing wonderful stuff ever since. Jim and his sons wrote and did the photography for the Air Classics coverage of Reno 2007, including the remarkable cover shot.

In his spare time Jim is a well-known aeronatical engineer, with Boeing, I believe (though I think he's retired now). He designed John Crocker's very slick "Sumthin Else", and the strakes seen on Strega to this day. He is presently a consultant fo the Mike Brown team, and designed the new wing tips on that Racer this year.

Neal
                      And speaking of the wing tips, when the FAA inspector came out to Ione to check off the modification, he said they were rated to 20G’s…… now that’s impressive. Also, while at Reno Kerch was showing just how strong they were by hanging off the wing tip and it wouldn’t even budge, all it would do is shake the whole airplane around.
                      Jason Schillereff

Comment

'Re-focusing' on my original suggested 'photo assignment' task as defined for this thread - "showing photogs 'at-work' composing or shooting photographic subjects at the air races.", here's some examples of what I had in mind: ('Race' Driver gets points, and Wingman zoomed-in with his fine JL portrait to score a 'photo-finish' win!)

Sat. 9/15/07 - First and foremost - a classic shooting profile of Air Racing's true 'Master Photographer- JIM LARSEN, getting set to capture the incoming Unlimiteds during the start of this years' exciting Heat 3A won by Mike Brown in #232 September Fury. Using long-telephoto for photographing the 'World's Fastest Motor Sport' out on the race course demands quick reflexes and smooth, steady panning motion for good results. Jim's versatile talents have enhanced air racing on every level, and his top-caliber photo work continues to inspire several generations of us pylon 'shooters' to improve our own skills. Jim Larsen epitomizes the term- "A Gentleman & a Scholar".

Thurs. 9/7/03 - 'Up Close & Personal': Jim Larsen shoots a portrait of veteran race pilot Matt Jackson for Air Classics' special air racing edition, the year Matt flew Race #77 RARE BEAR. (Always a challenge getting good people pics & it helps to know your subjects, of course.)

Sun. 9/7/03 - 'Team Action Photo': Unidentified photographer (Might be - David Leininger. Is that you - 'paintboy'?) is 'right there' to document Race #86 CZECH MATE owner- John Moore (at left) & crew assisting race pilot Sherm Smoot with his cockpit checklist prep prior to takeoff in their quick & nimble mighty Super Yak (which snagged a well-deserved 2nd-Place in this year's Unlimited GOLD). (Again, it helps to know the team, while always respecting their operational 'space'. Ramp photography demands utmost safety, caution & spacial-awareness).

Mon. 9/20/99 - 'Horizontal or Verticle?' (-The never-ending question.) Photographer Kevin Grantham gets it right, shooting the business end of an Unlimited racer he can relate to: Cook Cleland's Post-WW2 Thompson Trophy veteran Corncob Super Corsair - Race #57. Seems we photogs always have to remind ourselves to rotate the viewfinder that 90-degrees for those full-page compositions!

Fri. 9/17/99 - 'Take a number!' Press photographers patiently await their turn to 'move-up-the-ladder', to take advantage of Kevin Grantham's specially-arranged 'photo-op' set up showcasing a wonderful- "Old Era-Meets-New Era" themed composition - juxta-positioning both P&W R-4360-powered Unlimited titans - Super Sea Fury Race #8 Dreadnought & Super Corsair #57. (I felt honored when Kevin requested my assistance in helping get the two planes properly spotted for the composition of the shot. I'm shooting from atop the Museum of Flying race team trailer.)

Sat. 9/15/01 - 'Strategic Planning Conference'. Mark Kallio goes for a low-angle to get in on the 'low-down' for flying Race #4 DAGO RED, as veteran Unlimited crew chief- Bill Kerchenfaut (wing ctr.) confers with his team mates- Dave Fagoaga (L) & Steve Bartholf (R) as race pilot Skip Holm sits inside Dago's cockpit. The fateful events of history's tragic 9/11 date terminated all flying schedules at Reno '01 NCAR everywhere else in the skies of USA that week.

Sun. 9/11/88 - 'Say-"CHEESE!", Please!' Phil Wallick, another of air racing & classic/sport aviation's iconic photo-journalists, is on-the-spot to capture a dual-portrait of vet race pilot- Skip Holm & Race #97 owner-Joe Kasparoff, right after Skip's arrival at Stead from Van Nuys, Ca. with Kasparoff's mind-boggling new rookie Unlimited entry - R-3350 powered Super-Duper Yak - 'MR. AWESOME'. Phil has a special style of expert photography that combines an artist's keen eye with the experience of a teacher, and a unique way of viewing aircraft and people. (Along with Jim Larsen, Phil was a big positive influence on my ambition to follow in their big footsteps.)

Thurs. 9/14/00 - 'Flamin' Beauties at Sunset'... An unidentified professional photographer carries out his 'tough assignment' chore of portrait duty to capture the glow of two Reno showgirl models riding the wing of Steve Bolander & Jim Michaels' classic Unlimited Sea Fury - Race #87 MISS MERCED. (Apologies to the photog & team for 'horning-in' on their session - noting the photog's silhouette, the combined composition elements were irresistable!).

Thurs. 9/14/00... Here's what the session photographer was focusing-on!!! (Of course, I KNOW y'all wondered about that, huh?)

Sun. 9/16/07 To cap-off this thread's mini-gallery - Here's veteran Official RARA photographer/webmaster - Mark Johnston snapping great telephoto compositions of the majestic RCAF SNOWBIRDS jet formation demo team's performance maneuvers from out on the race course. Mark's a technical perfectionist and burns up alot of energy covering alot of ground documenting race week from every angle. Then he had to edit & post online site updates in the evening! (Not to mention traveling all the way from Japan twice each year to cover PRS & NCAR happenings!!!).

"Get-The-Picture?" Don 'Bucky' Dawson
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BuckyD; 06-23-2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Very cool Bucky!!!! Here's another one from this year 2007....being in the cheap seats on Sunday means...3 minutes round trip to the beer stand and back right before the Sunday Gold Unlimited race.....and the people around you in the "free" seats save your seat for you if you bring back beer....Cold! LOL
                          I can't identify the shooters, but I'm sure everyone else knows them....nice wave from Sherm too!

p.s. Thanks for giving me "points"......

Comment

Hey 'Race' Driver - thanks for your thoughtfulness in making the effort to take the time & effort to capture the 'people element' at the air races & airshow events, when the main focus, understandably, is on the aircraft.

And a word about the 'cheap seats' - my first five years attending Reno were without a camera (save for an Kodak Instamatic), and the entire event is designed & setup with the fans in the stands in mind. Those were the most fun years! Looking thru the viewfinder hole all the time, you miss most of the action and continuity (& fan camaraderie!!!).

THX!!! BuckyD

Comment

Hey Bucky
                              My first year in '67 was in the back of a 50 GMC pickup waking up early morning to something loud in the air and I was soaking wet and freezing in a sleepingbag and wondering how or who was going to write my excused letter for school....I was a freshman in high school at the time....didn't have a camera and walked around in awe of what was around me.....still do to this day!.......just sitting here tonite sipping some of Sherm's Fighter Pilot Red wine and remembering how it was in the day............. Thanks for this thread....got to go thru some old photos and dust them off...

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X