Attention Air Race Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Air Race Fans

Anyone out there looking for info, pics, and/or history of the Reno Air Races, I just came across the series of books by Reed Kinert entitled Racing Planes and Air Races. The first 3 volumes deal with the early days of Air Racing (1909-1939). After that, it really gets good with the postwar Thompson Trophy Races(1946-1949) and early Reno action(1964-1967). 1968-1978 is covered with a separate volume for each year, covering Reno as well as any other venues of that year. These books are awesome for the Air Race Nut, with all the results, great aircraft shots and pilot pictures when they were somewhat younger. Anyone trying to research the races or someone new to the game will learn all there is to know about Reno and be able to match names to faces. You can get these books from ebay or abebooks. I got all 13 volumes and I was impressed. I believe the series doesn't go past 1978, however, but I find the newer stuff easier to find anyways. Other books of Reno Air Race interest include:
    Fly Low, Fly Fast-Robert Gandt, SUPERSHOW-various, Unlimited Air Racers-Don Berliner, RacePlane Tech Series-Veronico&Grantham and the newest, Air Racing over Reno - Philip Handleman. These books will answer any question you would ever have about that wonderful event we know as the RENO AIR RACES!!!!!

you forgot "gentlemen you have a race"

Comment

Re: Attention Air Race Fans

i have a book from joe christy from way back in the day(racing planes guide) modern aircraft series that has race results from 1909 to1959 fort wayne,indiana..first time post ..this book is nice.old and loaded with history,,,,,,,,,,get one if you can

Comment

Re: you forgot "gentlemen you have a race"

Originally posted by JET1

I ordered this title from abebooks about 2 hrs after I created this post. I expect it to be good, by the look of it.

Comment

Originally posted by flynundertaker
          i have a book from joe christy from way back in the day(racing planes guide) modern aircraft series that has race results from 1909 to1959 fort wayne,indiana..first time post ..this book is nice.old and loaded with history,,,,,,,,,,get one if you can

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered it from abebooks-hope it's good!!!

Anyone else know of any others?

Comment

Originally posted by mustang5151
            Thanks for the tip. I just ordered it from abebooks-hope it's good!!!

Anyone else know of any others?
            Dusty Carter's Mustang: The Racing Thoroughbred is a terrific read with excellent research and photographs. Highly recommended.
            Jeff Williams
            Henderson, NV

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut
              Dusty Carter's Mustang: The Racing Thoroughbred is a terrific read with excellent research and photographs. Highly recommended.
              Jeff Williams
              Henderson, NV

Yep, had that one awhile-a MUST for the racing Mustang fan!

Comment

after my first post ,i had to dig lol...i have one more and its Racing Planes and airraces volume 4 ..1946 to 1967, by Reed Kinert,its a old hard back book with lots of drawings by Dustin W. Carter,i know i have more books but i just got to find them

Comment

"The Air Racer" by Charles A. Mendenhall, from Specialty Press, contains scale drawings of some (234) of the most popular Unlimited, F1, Biplane, T6, Thompson, Goodyear, Bendix & Schneider Cup racers. Brief discriptions and histories, make it a pretty handy reference.

Paul
                  Last edited by Apteryx; 11-06-2007, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I love the Kinert series of books. The most coverage of the Bi-Plane classes I can find and he was from Indiana!

Also Abebooks.com is great

Indy Pitts Guy,
                    Jeff

Comment

Working...
                    X