Aging Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aging Aircraft

I wander how the racers keep controled the aging plane problem about fatigue. The planes are getting older and how the owners keep track of this. Do they have an schedule to do the NDI?. Is it controled? by who?
    Fatigue is an interesting issue (not an expert on this subject nevertheless I read a lot about it). I always think about fatigue of the structures of these racers, indeed they are very stressed in the racecourse. I know the Rare Bear was wholly X-rayed this year, but how is the management of this issue? Is it performed regularly and obligatory?
    I would be very grateful if someone gives me light on this matter.
    Thank you

Re: Aging Aircraft

Very good question. Look what happened to those PB4Y's and C-130's and the brave men who flew them. Those accidents could have been avoided had a thorough x-ray program been used. Hopefully someone will relay their knowledge.
    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

hm66sk,
      No, I think it wasn´t a good question, I better look to other side.
      Thank you

Comment

With the exception of a few of the aircraft. Most of the racers have been rebuilt. Rarebear was rebuilt after its original tangle with the ground in Indiana. The fact is the stresses on the planes are not nearly what they were as fighters. Its unusual to see over 4 g's on the course except gust loading in high winds or turbulance. The planes are watched a great deal more carefully. They generally are not flown many hours other then racing once a year. I really don't feel there is a great issue here as many might think. The crash of Gary Levitz was a flutter issue. Exploding engines, midairs, fire and or missing the airport in an emergency is of greater concern and threat.

Comment

Thank you a lot Mr.Jackson. Now I see it better. I thought they were more stressed.

Comment

Working...
          X