Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagner Solution pictures?

Howdy,

I'm curious if any of y'all out there have any photos of the Wagner Solution (race #44) that raced in the Formula One Class? Judy Wagner raced this airplane from 1971 to 1981, before her death in 1982. The airplane is now called "JUDY," but has been modified many, many times over the years, so it's the original configuration photos that I'm mainly looking for.

I have just recently purchased and started on a Shoestring project that has the original Wagner Solution wing with it, and I intend on building my new little racer with many of the details the original Solution had with it. Naturally, any photos y'all might have would be quite helpful to me with this endeavor.

I VERY MUCH intend on racing this airplane at Reno, as I think it'll be neat to get those wings flying circles around the pylons again, just as they were intended.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you'd rather do that. retroaviation@aol.com

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give me.

Gary Austin
    Last edited by retroaviation; 10-29-2007, 06:13 AM.

Re: Wagner Solution pictures?

Gary -- I do have a few shots from back then -- will have to dig them up (just what I need -- another project).

Where did you get your project from?
    Any racing history? How far along was the project when you got it? Is it entirely stock? Is your wing the actual wing that was on Judy? I hope you're planning to bring it to Reno eventually!

I like Shoestrings...

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 10-29-2007, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Hmmm, I'll try to answer all of those questions for you Neal (didn't know there was going to be a pop-quiz )

I got the project from a fella in the Jacksonville, FL area.

The fuselage has never flown, but one of the vertical fins and rudders that the project came with might be from the original "Shoestring." I'm still trying to confirm that though.

The project could go either entirely stock or modified, as it also came with a composite tail section. However, my intention is to put an aluminum tail section on it, like the original Wagner Solution had. I've even found the original tail that was on the WS, but haven't worked out a deal to purchase it yet. If I can't work something out, I'll just build one. No problem.

Yes, the wing is the one that came off of JUDY...and of course before it was named that, the Wagner Solution.

My hope is to race it at Reno 2008. Still looking for a few sponsors and such, but I'm going to try my hardest to get it out there as quickly as I can (with safety and quality of workmanship obviously taking first priority though). Don't know if I'll make that time schedule or not, but I'm sure going to try.

After being fortunate enough to have flown Maybee's Baby this year at Reno, I'm very excited to fly another airplane out there with even just a touch of history to it. I know what I'm building isn't really going to be the Wagner Solution, but it should be fairly close. Oh, and what is the airplane going to be named?......."Another Solution."

Gary

P.S. Neal, check your private messages.

Comment

my Dad has some too i hafe to loook for them shawn Aro

Comment

Gary -

I have a couple from old programs I will email you.
          F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Here are a couple. Probably won't help with your project, but they do bring back memories.

Dan Plunkett
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HiredBitSlinger
              Here are a couple. Probably won't help with your project, but they do bring back memories.

Dan Plunkett

What year are these from? Just curious...
              Cheers

Comment

HiredBitSlinger, those pictures will help. Heck, anything at this point is helpful to me. Thanks!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by ebutner
                  What year are these from? Just curious...
                  They are from 1977. I was there in 1978, but did not get any shots.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Originally posted by HiredBitSlinger
                    They are from 1977. I was there in 1978, but did not get any shots.

Dan Plunkett
                    Thanks Dan. I started going in the mid 80's.
                    Cheers

Comment

Gary,

I was Tech Director from '78 to '81 and took pix of all the planes at every F1 race so that I knew when they had been modified. I have pix from '77 to '81 in hand and may have some earlier ones. The configuration did not change much. In '71 when it was new it had the standard Shoestring tail and that was replaced by the metal one for '73 or '74. I don't have pix of the original configuration but there is one in the 1972 edition of Reed Kinert's book p65. From '74 the tail surfaces, gear legs, spinner and the oil tank were bare, polished Al whlie the rest of the plane was red/orange with black #s and gold trim/lettering.

BillRo

Comment

Thanks for that info, Bill. This is all helpful to me.

Gary

Comment

I received your pictures in the mail today, Bill. Thanks!!!

If anyone else has photos of the ol' Wagner Solution, I'll happily pay for copies, shipping, etc.

Gary Austin

Comment

Working...
                          X