MR. AWESOME / FROST BITE 4 SALE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MR. AWESOME / FROST BITE 4 SALE

Surprised nobody noted the recent TRADE-A-PLANE ad (3rd Sept. issue - Warbirds classification) for Jack Frost's Super Yak - Frost Bite:

"UNLIMITED RACER PROJECT: 85% complete Yak 11, 3350 Turbo compound with many spare parts including engine. $225,000. For more pictures and details cal AR (870)295-6213."

Has a good LH color profile photo showing its' present state. You can probably view this ad at their website: www.trade-a-plane.com

Guess this answers some of our questions regarding current status of this particular high-mod exotic Unlimited. This follows the fairly-recent 4 sale ad for DG's SHOCK WAVE Unlimited project (w/photo).

Will be interesting to see whether or not either project reaches future completion to make its' Unlimited racing return/advent (along with MJ's AMERICAN SPIRIT currently at Sanders Aviation)

BuckyD

Re: MR. AWESOME / FROST BITE 4 SALE

Actually, somebody did mention this ad already:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Does anyone know Shockwave's current status?

Comment

Here's the link for Mr. Awesome/Frost Bite:

I couldn't find "Shockwave". Anyone have that?
      Last edited by hm66sk; 10-22-2007, 09:29 PM.
      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

I've got to say that thing looks like a race plane. I hope someone picks it up and completes it. Is it just me or does it look like prop clearance is going to be a problem. I know it is on Race 86 I wonder what could be done to get all the power out of this plane.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
          I've got to say that thing looks like a race plane. I hope someone picks it up and completes it. Is it just me or does it look like prop clearance is going to be a problem. I know it is on Race 86 I wonder what could be done to get all the power out of this plane.
          It needs longer legs and that sure would be hard to do. Someone would have to engineer something like the Bearcat gear to work within the existing space or relocate things outboard, if possible.

Maybe someone could develop telescoping prop blades.

Comment

How about servo driven telescoping gear extenders?

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead
              It needs longer legs and that sure would be hard to do. Someone would have to engineer something like the Bearcat gear to work within the existing space or relocate things outboard, if possible.

It would probably be easier to build a whole new wing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich
                It would probably be easier to build a whole new wing.
                Naw, borrow some mojo from Matt Jackson and put a T-2 Buckeye wing on it. Longer gear is part of the package. (Aside from relocating the gear trunions ahead of the spar.) The Yak fuse is steel tube, so new wing attach points just require that you spark up the old torch. It's a project right out of "Animal House." In fact, that ain't a bad name, either.
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Poor aeroplane.... it would look so much better with an ASh-21 up front.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
                    I know it is on Race 86 I wonder what could be done to get all the power out of this plane.

<grump>
                    Put an engine on it that isn't too big for the airframe....
                    </grump>

I've always thought that Czech Mate and Steadfast both are on the right track for making a Yak go fast... NOT Frostbite. Just my opinion.

Comment

Skip wouldn't fly it, what does that tell ya? I think the 1st thing you gotta do is make it about 3' longer, maybe 1' taller and 6' wider. Wouldn't that make it a Sea Fury?...D.

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                        ...spark up the old torch. It's a project right out of "Animal House." In fact, that ain't a bad name, either.
                        More like the name of the car in the movie: "Deathmobile."

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk
                          Here's the link for Mr. Awesome/Frost Bite:

I couldn't find "Shockwave". Anyone have that?
                          Here's the link for "Shockwave" ad:

BuckyD

Comment

Thanks Bucky. Doesn't look like Darryl's plane has made much progress since the last time I saw it. Unfortunately, I think the B-29 debacle killed off any prospect of him finishing that plane.
                            "Awesome", appears to have taken a few steps backward since the last time I saw it in the early nineties as "Red Heat". It looked like a flyable racer. Fresh paint, prop hung, etc. Maybe Mr. Frost decided to dig a little deeper into it?

"Skip wouldn't fly it, what does that tell ya?"

Mr. Holm never flew it with the enlarged appanage either!
                            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

BuckyD,
                              Thanks for the link to the Shockwave project. Did you notice who the author was?
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X