Want to Sponsor a Sport Class Racer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to Sponsor a Sport Class Racer?

I am interested in starting a new "low cost" sport class team. Like a lot of folks we're lacking in the financial department though. My idea consists of a newly offered composite sport plane (tandem seat) which would be refitted with a highly modified and extremely light engine. (engine commercially available and I have a team of experts for that specific engine). I believe the aircraft could be cleaned up to gain at least 15 extra knots of airspeed from airframe alone. The engine would only weigh slightly more than the originally installed engine, but would be putting out at least twice the power. The new engine would require a different cowling. (I also have a group that can do that)

My aim would be to get a team together and to make it to Reno within 2 years. The major thing that we'd need is funding. This team would not be able to run at the nearly 400mph speeds that the sport class is now running. The aim would be more of a "to be there and pass a few folks" (and be running a record for minimum displacement). I think speeds around 260mph would be very possible with the plane/engine combination. I believe this entire setup could be done for about $100,000 for plane, engine, instruments, etc. I have several people that I know would be on board with a lot of composite experience and experience with that engine and could probably get some price breaks on the engine itself.

The aircraft would be built to be a sport plane and if sponsorship could be found, could also be a daily flyer. This would be more of a "The People's Plane" contender. If anybody is interested in fronting some $$ or contributing some in aerodynamics, mechanical, other, please contact me and I'll send you some more details via PM. Thanks, Brian Whittingham

Re: Want to Sponsor a Sport Class Racer?

Which aircraft is it based on?

Comment

This aircraft is the one that I had in mind:

This airplane is a lightweight but don't let that fool you. I've had some experience in light kitplane aircraft and low frontal area, low wing loading, and a little power will get you somewhere. One of my previous experiences we got a two person aircraft, side by side seating, 44ish inch wide cockpit airplane with 120hp up to 230mph in level flight!

It'll do 190mph in the current configuration in cruise and I have an engine that has a proven modification to allow more than double the power of the stock arrangement. Engine is extremely lightweight and low frontal area. The engine is a small foreign built 6 cylinder. Engine mods are basically fuel injecting and turbocharging the stock engine, although the possibility exists for different heads and pistons to be readily available and yield even high power.

To me it seems the sport class is yielding some actual usable experience for GA aircraft. Look at the speeds of GA aircraft in the years since we've had the sport class. Now we have the Mooney Ovation, the Turbo Cirrus SR-22, etc. What I want to do is bring a plane that, although admittedly will never be a 400mph airplane, will have less than half the displacement of any other aircraft in the field, fuel consumption of much less, and go out and actually beat some of those other guys. Don't get me wrong, I love displacement and power as much as anybody, but you also have to love aircraft like the Cory Bird Symmetry that can cruise at high speed and still only be sipping the fuel.

Anybody else out there willing to buy into my vision?

Comment

Oh, and I forgot, the kit comes with a built in ballistic parachute and engine compartment fire suppression system. Just a couple of safety features.

Comment

That is a really fascinating little plane. Their website timeline goes dead after May 2007... is there any way to find out more about the company's plans/progress??? They have minimal info on the site.
          Last edited by MRussell; 10-23-2007, 06:48 AM.
          _________
          -Matt
          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Dash, not trying to put your fire out but have you looked at the speed trends in the sportclass over the last 10 years. Just look at where the "slowest" guys are now falling into line at. When I was looking at where to enter the race field either in an unlimited or sport class racer and I crunched the numbers on what airplane would yield the highest placement and factored in other variables, I found that at the current speed advancement I would be pushed out of the field by 2008 in a high "Bronze now Silver" racer. That was a stock Glasair III at almost 260mph. I think that the speeds you are looking for need to be in the 300 MPH range and settle for the 280's+.
            The days of being able to place in the SportClass field in a"stock" homebuilt slower than a Legacy are nearing an end. Look at Tom McReynolds first year out in a stocker and he Wins the Bronze now Silver on Sunday. We qualed his in the 286 range and that was with some issues. So a 290+ was very possible that day. THATS HAULING!
            I would just not want to see you put the life effort into something that wouldnt yield the results you expect, I.E.........not making the field.

I found it comical that I could get into the Yak at less or equal money than an NXT or even a fast Legacy. The unique quality of the Yak has been a greater experience for me. SteadFast: Unlimited air racing on a limited budget.
            I wish you all the best.
            Will

Comment

Working...
            X