What's up with Delmar Benjamin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Delmar Benjamin ?

Haven't seen hide nor hair of a terrific pilot and his incredible machine...

Anybody know the latest?

Re: What's up with Delmar Benjamin ?

I'm not sure where he is, but I'm pretty sure that he donated the plane to Fantasy of Flight. There's enough replica's in Florida to have a heritage racing class alone. In about an hour and a halfs time I saw a Gee Bee Z, Gee Bee R, Laird Super Solution, Steve Whittman's "Buster",and Wendell Williams Racer!

Comment

his wife was in Reno - very nice lady.
      from what she indicated, he's retired. don't know much beyond that

Comment

For sure, the airplane went to Kermit.... Linda (Wife) was at Reno, I did not have time to talk with her (saw her while I was on top of a ladder shooting the Bear crew celebration in the cave) next thing I knew, I was playing PR guy trying to ensure the crew got to the banquet on time!!!

Indeed, last time I saw Delmar was at the services for Jim Wright... Probably... 2003??

I think, he's back to being a midwest farmer.. (what a waste of incredible talent!)

I've got Linda's email, I'll try to get an update..

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I saw him perform at Minter Field in about '95 I think. One of the most incredible performances that I've ever seen. I'd always read that the Gee Bee was difficult to fly around a race course, much less upside down at about twenty feet.........maybe less!

Kevin

Comment

I saw him at Reno several times back in the late 80s or early 90s. One gentleman I talked to said the the wing was modified to make it easier to fly but the announcer said it was an exact replica. Does anyone know for sure?

Aero

Comment

I was working on cruise ships all those years and I missed all of it....Lefty's last shows, and especially Delmar. A shame
              John

Comment

I believe Steve and Delmars build goal was to change nothing! they were adamant that the aircraft would be exactly as built and flown by the Granvilles, and designed by Pete Miller, as the intent was to show that it was not the aircraft or design to blame for it`s reputation.
                And Delmar proved, that with the right pilot it was indeed very flyable.

Think about the times and the available aircraft, it was the equivelant to a champ or cub pilot hopping straight into a F104.
                (an exaggeration, but the wing loading difference from what they were used to at the time was extreme)

I had heard some time ago, that Delmar may be working on another project, but that was a few years ago, and no updates for a couple years.

On another note, does anyone know if Kermit has ever flown the Gee Bee R1 since he purchased it? I believe he flew the ex Kimball Z model before he had it dismantled for flutter tests.

as a brand new Pitts pilot some 20 years ago I think Delmar gave me the best advice I ever got, I always appreciated him for that, and admired his skills.

Comment

I am pretty sure that Kermit has never flown the Gee Bee R, but he did the Z a couple of times and they put the thing back together with counterweights on the ailerons to fix the flutter. I don't know if he has flown that plane since. Don't think he ever flew the Laird either.

Comment

I read some years ago that Delmar and Steve Wolf had teamed up again to build Delmar a new airshow bird to replace the Gee Bee. Maybe they have a surprise in store?!!!

Comment

Rumor and innuendo from 2001 so I appologize for any inaccuracies. Word was that Kermit was terrified with the Z and didn't believe that the R-1 was built to plan and flyable. Kermit got it (the Z) to Oshkosh (I think), thought it was a deathtrap. Delmar flew it and found he was able to do most of his airshow routine but advised Kermit to park it.
                      The R-1 was destined for Udvar-Hazy but they really needed a corporate sponsor to buy-it and donate it to the museum. That never came through.
                      Sure hope we do get to see him on the circuit again.
                      On Sept. 12, 2001, while stranded in New Mexico on his way to Reno; "When the new FAA director Osama opens up the airspace again I'm going the hell home".

Comment

The wing was not modified. The only modifications Delmar and steve made were adding modern brakes.

Delmar was doing flight testing for the F-AA last I heard.

Comment

Old Thread Alert

Those of you just reading the recent responses to this, nearly four year old thread... please be aware that most of the comments within are that old.... and their relevance to current situations, may, be limited....

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Oh god,,, Until I saw my post, I almost posted the same comments I already did years ago all over again. This digging up old threads is getting kind of annoying. Just start a new topic, man!

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                              Oh god,,, Until I saw my post, I almost posted the same comments I already did years ago all over again. This digging up old threads is getting kind of annoying. Just start a new topic, man!
                              Yaknow... it's actually a good thing, because it probably represents someone who maybe just found this site.

I've for sure chased various computer/software fixes on forums until I read the date of post and realize the cure probably completely oudtated my needs...

Nobody flies like Delmar!!!!!!!!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X