Wings Over Houston Airshow Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wings Over Houston Airshow Photos

This past weekend was the Wings Over Houston Airshow, which was pretty much a wash. Actually that was a pun, it rained many times and a few lesser acts were cut out in order to get the main performers in. One of the coolest things about this show is the NASA display area. There was a C-9 "Vomit Comet", a T-38 trainer, and the Super Guppy. The bad weather kept a few others from coming including a GIII Shuttle Trainer, a U2R, and WB-57.

There were many warbirds at the show but many of the performances were cut short and we only got to see them get airborne for a brief second. F-15, F-16, F-18, T-38's, T-45's, Mig 21's, F-4's, Hellcats, Corsairs, Helldiver, P-51's, Spitfire, B-17, B-24, B-25, A-26, and much more. The Tora show was in town as were the canadian Snowbirds. The Snowbirds aren't so much flash and bang like the Thunderbirds or Blues, but are 9 ships in tight formation! They're also extremely graceful. The Super Rhino demo was also very impressive, coming one way at better than 700mph and back the other at less than 100mph! It was literally flying about like a Cessna 150!

All together it was a good airshow, but the dark skies made for challenging photography, as did the rain. This was my first shooting with my new Nikon 18-200VR. Not a super zoom lense, but what a range and turned some very clear shots. Here's a few from the weekend.
    Attached Files

Re: Wings Over Houston Airshow Photos

I've got about 11 more to post, but don't know how to do it without replacing the ones that I already posted. What settings do you guys usually post pics at? Thanks.

Comment

I think you should be able to upload more in a reply to this thread.
      Very pretty colors in the Hellcat shot.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
        I've got about 11 more to post, but don't know how to do it without replacing the ones that I already posted. What settings do you guys usually post pics at? Thanks.
        Go ahead and do a reply... The edit thing we have set for the board will probably keep you from adding to the orignal post but responding will allow it. Just make sure the image names are different or the board will squawk....

Nice choice on the lense... I've read nothing but good about that one. I ALMOST bought one but got the 70-300 instead to give my arm a rest once in a while...

I particularly like the B-25 shot... sort of gives you a feeling for what the show was about. Nice work....

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Man... I only live about hour east of Houston and was planning on going but... I had to prepare for an R/C flyin this week.. Dash, you may have heard of it .. its the DOD flying. downonthedeck dot com...
          Last edited by RRMERLIN7; 10-10-2007, 03:02 PM.
          W.Hughes

Comment

Okay, here's a few more. Thanks for the comments though. I really tried to get the B-25 shot a silhouette as much as possible. I agree, it sums up the airshow, water, darkness, light, warbirds, and lots of dedicated fans, volunteers, and owners through it all. It was very much a learning experience for me and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
            Attached Files

Comment

A couple more. That Super Guppy is amazing! Huge internal structure, and still flying after all of these years. In the one photo you can see the nose gear. Well the nose gear door has a Superman emblem on it that has the colors of the Texas flag blowing in the breeze. It's pretty cool.
              Attached Files

Comment

I didn't know there was a flying Sb2C Helldiver out there. Thats cool. There can't be many of those around. Looks like it was a good show.

thanks for the pics.

Will

Comment

Thanks Will, there is one airworthy SB2C Helldiver, based at Midland, TX, CAF plane. First one I have ever seen and it's a flier!
                  Last edited by Dash; 10-10-2007, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR
                    I didn't know there was a flying Sb2C Helldiver out there. Thats cool. There can't be many of those around. Looks like it was a good show.

thanks for the pics.

Will
                    Right now, the CAF's is the only one flying, but there is a possibility for several more. Someone up far north, I believe Chuck Greenhill?, is going to have an SB2C restored to flying condition. Also Mike Rawson, up in Minnesota has the remains of several SB2C's/A-25's to make into flying condition. I believe he said that he could make 2 flying Helldivers from all the parts he has. AFAIK, the projects are just awaiting a buyer and/or a lot of money. Mike is just about finished with the static restoration of an A-25 for the Air Force Musueum at Wright-Patterson. Though, it's only a static example, the restoration and level of detail are nothing short of incredible! Yanks Air Musuem at Chino also has an SB2C that they bought from Tallichet, who got it from the Planes of Fame. I don't think restoration has started on that one yet, but it will be restored to "airworthy" condition. Sadly, though all of their restorations are done to airworthy specs, only a few of their airplanes ever fly. The chances of that one taking flight are about zero.

So, you see, the future is bright on the Helldiver front!

Comment

Actually the Helldiver is based in Graham, Tx,,,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SB2C_Helldiver, it goes out a lot to air shows, but it is here in Graham most of the time,

Comment

Originally posted by tex-fan
                        Actually the Helldiver is based in Graham, Tx,,,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SB2C_Helldiver, it goes out a lot to air shows, but it is here in Graham most of the time,
                        Thanks for getting that straight. Makes me wonder if anything that the announcer said was corect.

Comment

Dash:

Were you the one that posted questions about the Wings over Houston airshow about ~ 6-8 weeks ago? If so, do you remember me saying that every year it seems that Mother Nature wants to be involved?

I don't know what it is, but WoH airshow seems to always have to contend with rain. Must be this time of year in Houston. But, the last few days, and this weekend, are absolutely fabulous. Go figure!

I didn't get to make the show this year again. But, it looked like the traditional planes made it. Glad you got some pics.

Tommy

Comment

Thanks for posting the Guppy shots. I just barely remember as a little kid seeing them at the Santa Barbara airport. Never understood how those beasts could even get airborne, much less carry a big load.
                            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
                              Dash:

Were you the one that posted questions about the Wings over Houston airshow about ~ 6-8 weeks ago? If so, do you remember me saying that every year it seems that Mother Nature wants to be involved?

Tommy
                              Yep, that was me and yes I do remember about the weather. Has been beautiful the days before the airshow and the days following!

I do have another picture of a Super Guppy that I saw at the Pima Air and Space Museum a couple of years ago. It is an amazing site. 25 feet tall, 25 feet wide cargo hold, and there's a good 6 foot section or so under that for other cargo. Can't remember how long a section it is, but I think 114 feet!?

Comment

Working...
                              X