H1 Replica Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 Replica Information

Prior to its demise.... pls. splane me some of the stats on its performance levels achieved during its test life

Quote from Lewards posting (not 100% dead accurate) was that "it had performance levels similar of the P51A..." ???

Pls. correct and or inform

thanks

BMarsh

H1 (replica)info i mean

OOPS...
    the H1 replica

Comment

Re: Hughes H1 Info request

Bill, I don't know what the speeds were, but from what I heard, the Airplane Broke the Record in the FIA Class in which it was competing (I did a Painting of it, RB Pumps owns it). What would you give to see a Heritage Air Race with a Hughes Racer competing? ...a GeeBee...a Laird Solution...Mr. Mulligan...I'm not going to give up on the Heritage Racing Idea...D.

Comment

And I believe that speed achieved at Reno was 359.0 MPH. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Dave

Comment

Howard's Original Record was 352.39mph, and that was with the Short, 25'-3" wings...D.

Comment

he did set the record at Reno...

nice guy----beautiful craftsmanship---real loss to aviation on both counts.

Comment

Re: H1 Replica Information

I remember hearing announcer say 309 mph on one pass.
              Makes sense to be a little slower with the long wing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                I remember hearing announcer say 309 mph on one pass.
                Makes sense to be a little slower with the long wing.
                Not neccessairly, I remember reading in a book (maybe the kinnert books) that the short wings may not have helped at all because they were too short.

Jarrod

Comment

I'm sure Mr.Wright,who built the H-1 replica, had drawings made of his plane as he built it without any formal ones. Maybe someone could build another one to see what it could really do. Jimmy Leeward followed it pretty closely during tests @ Cottage Grove,OR.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Hey guys, here is the page from Jim Wrights web site that talks about the record setting flight. http://www.wrightools.com/hughes/H1_record_2002.htm

Also, here is the main page. http://www.wrightools.com/hughes/

I’m going to re-upload the video I made of the record run, so stay tuned.
                    Jason Schillereff

Comment

I just posted the H-1 video over on Scott's site, so go on over and look under the Jason's Video Outlet section and check it out.
                      Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S.
                        I just posted the H-1 video over on Scott's site, so go on over and look under the Jason's Video Outlet section and check it out.
                        How was H1 in flight compared to Gee Bee small racers ?

I remember reading a fascinating story about the red Gee Bee racer after restauration.

To me H1 racer looks very noble aeroplane that has not very vicious tendencies like for instance the Me 109 R ( record braking racer ) had.
                        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X