Winning Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning Engines

Here's how the different engines used in Reno Unlimited Racers have stacked up over the years. In 43 Unlimited Gold final races(1964-2007), 5 different engine types have emerged victorious.

Rolls-Royce Merlin - 20 wins
    Wright R-3350 - 11 wins
    Pratt&Whitney R-2800 - 7 wins
    Pratt&Whitney R-4360 - 3 wins
    Rolls-Royce Griffon - 2 wins

FYI

Re: Winning Engines

Cool stats, thanks.
    Cheers

Comment

Interesting stuff, now do a weighted measure using 1st 2nd and 3rd place (say 3 point, 2 points, 1 point). Although the Merlin will still come up on top, the 4360 will shoot up (thanks to the Buick).

Comment

InLine V s 22

CornCobs 21

Comment

The 'corncob' is the R-4360. But 21 radials, that is true.

Comment

For the 4360's I can remember
            Dreadnaught and supercorsair. Whats the third?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus
              For the 4360's I can remember
              Dreadnaught and supercorsair. Whats the third?
              Dreadnought twice, in '83 and '86
              Super Corsair '85

Comment

If you throw in the late '40's Thompson Trophy race you pick up another Merlin win, a couple more R4360 wins and an Allison V1710 in '46.

Comment

mustang5151 Here's how the different engines used in Reno Unlimited Racers have stacked up over the years. In 43 Unlimited Gold final races(1964-2007), 5 different engine types have emerged victorious.

Rolls-Royce Merlin - 20 wins
                  Wright R-3350 - 11 wins
                  Pratt&Whitney R-2800 - 7 wins
                  Pratt&Whitney R-4360 - 3 wins
                  Rolls-Royce Griffon - 2 wins
                  Okay, let's see, the majority of the 3350 wins are going to Rare Bear, with Mike Brown having one. The majority of the R-2800 wins going to Conquest I assume. The 4360's are Super Corsair and two for Dreadnaught, and two Griffon wins for Red Baron? Just a guess, I'm not old enough to have seen a lot of that time frame myself and trying to rely on my memory for the history.

Comment

Dash, yer memory is right on the money(Darryl's Bearcat went by some other names though). A common mistake made by many on this post is the spelling of Dreadnought(spelled with an 'o' not an 'a'), but that's splitting hairs. Also RELIC has added a nice touch with the Thompson wins. The poor old Allison hasn't held the top glory for over 60 years, they seem to work better in tractors or boats!! If Lefty Gardner had ever won in his famous white P-38, would that count as 2 wins for an Allison? - LOL Another rare contending engine that deserves mention is the Bristol Centaurus(Sea Furys) and let's not forget the mill in little Air Biscuit!!! Love those airplane engines....

Comment

A common mistake made by many on this post is the spelling of Dreadnought(spelled with an 'o' not an 'a'),
                      I never can remember what the correct spelling is. Like the type of battleship right? Wonder where they got the name from?

Comment

What was the huge engine on Goodyear Corsair ? I think that plane was in par with Rare Bear when it comes to cubic inches / lbs !

Slightly beter were only Heston J-5 ( Sabre ), Me 109 R ( DB601 ARJ )and possibly Tsunami ( biggest Merlin ).

Heston overheated and 109R aerodynamics sucked.
                        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do a google search! In fact, don't bother, do a search on this site!
                          The Super Corsairs had 4360's. The Bear has a turbo-compound 3350, much customized!
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris300s
                            The Bear has a turbo-compound 3350, much customized!
                            Chris
                            But, without the PRT's.
                            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                            X