Steve Hinton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Hinton

I know there's been a lot written on here about Steve Hinton, and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Steve was up to Modesto a few months back in a P-38 to do a short filming. Instead of pushing the plane in the hangar and locking her up.....he stayed there, chatted with people, invited us up to sit in her........and yes, I got to sit in a P-38......I'm 57, but still a kid........I was very tempted to fire her up and go for ride.....I remember sitting in her, and Steve talking to me and pointing out the somewhat backward locations of the fuel selectors.....seemed like a very nice gentleman. Watching him fly the T-33 after Mr Penney had safely landed Rare Bear was a treat. I was amazed at the smoothness of his flying.......in my book, that's a biggie.......I've flown and seen enough Peterbilt drivers......so I'm always taken in by a smooth pilot and his mastery of the air.
    Nice guy, great pilot.........doesn't get any better then that. Thanks again Steve for allowing me the thrill of sitting in that P-38
    Brian

Re: Steve Hinton

Steve is not only a great pilot he's just a great guy. He allways makes time to awnser questions or just shake your hand. While standing in front of Rear Bear Sunday after the gold Steve worked his way through the cround and ended up right next to me, as we talked about the race and stuff someone with a Red Baron shirt ask Steve to sign his shirt as Steve was signing it he look up and said you know it was 28 years ago today! Wow, Steve it's great to have you here and thanks for all you have done.

Comment

Way back when I was a teen and first moved to the Reno area, I made the Air Races a top priority having heard and dreamed about them for so long. Mr. Hinton was one of the pilots for the "Super Corsair". I spent quite a bit of time hanging around that pit after reading about the build in "Air Classics". I never thought I would see that plane in the flesh, let alone sit in it and have the legendary Steve Hinton take the time to explain the cockpit and build up of the craft to me but, that's exactly what he did! I guess I was asking so many questions he just said, "Why don't you just jump up in there and see for yourself." I was blown away! A totally cool, laid back guy. I became a regular visitor to the SC pit year after year. I even got a '83 Super Corsair Racing Team shirt from those guys that I still have to this day. Doesn't fit me any more though. Huh.
      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Those dang t shirts have a tendency to shrink......even in cold water

Comment

That's good. I thought for a minute it was me!
          "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

A a very nice gentleman. My son flies helicopters and just got his fixed wing. Steve told me he would need to learn to fly a taildragger, then get about 600 hours in a T-6 and be proficient before he could learn to fly a P-51 and race. We had good laugh because my son would have to save alot of nickles and dimes to accomplish that feat. I believe Steve said he would need at least 50-60 hours before you could even consider racing! Guess my son will need to win the Lotto!
            Steve talked to me for a very long while and always had good info. Thanks Steve.

Frank C.

Comment

best Steve quote.....
              I once (many years ago) told him I wanted to race IF1. Steve's response....'Why don't you go play with dynomite? It's safer.'
              I asked him a while back if he remembered that. I've known him for so many years now, he no longer remembered the conversation.
              Nice guy....as long as you remember to turn off his welder when you're done (Sorry Paul!!!!)

Comment

Steve has seen my band in action. The coolest thing was when he was complimenting us in front of me to another aquaintance. Thrilling.

John

Comment

Working...
                X