Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exaust stack thrust

This is from:

"Dago Red uses a Merlin 622 power section with a Packard built V-1650-9 supercharger. The dash nine has optimal supercharger ratios for increased boost. This brings up the next question; how much boost does Dago Red run in a race? The quick and easy answer is; it all depends. During qualifying, only sufficient power is used to move up to the next round. However, when it gets down to the final Gold Race, everything is allowed to hang out. Maximum boost is primarily determined by engine rpm and secondly by ambient temperature and air pressure. In this engine it can run in the 135 to 140 in. Hg. range when at 3400 rpm. Assisting boost is a carefully designed ram air scoop. For Dago Red it is made from fiber glass with an ideal convergent/divergent design. This design picks up approximately 3 to 5 inches of manifold pressure at race speeds. Theoretically, it is possible to run an even higher manifold pressure than 140 in.Hg. Abs But at 140 inches the point of diminishing returns has been reached. In other words so much power is consumed driving the supercharger, very little, if any, additional power is fed to the propeller. At 140 inches, the Merlin two stage supercharger is consuming in excess of 1,000 horsepower to drive. It has even been argued that anything in excess of 100 inches does not produce any additional power to the propeller, however the aircraft will fly faster when running in excess of 100 inches. The argument presented is the fact jet thrust from the exhaust stacks is increased at the higher manifold pressure resulting in a higher air speed."

I was told the Japanese thought enough of the exaust thrust theory to use it in some aircraft, do you think the argument presented here is valid?

Re: Exaust stack thrust

In the case of the NHRA fuel dragsters and funny cars , each hole is putting out some 800 Lbs., which makes for some interesting handling problems when one goes out . Of course we are talking using Nitromethane which by nature needs to be run on the "fat" side and is still in combustion as it leaves the exhaust pipes . I think there must be some gain in your theory.

Comment

This was discussed at length on this very site within the memorable past.

Turns out that the associated drag and weight of any means of re-capturing exhaust thrust (on a P-51, at least) is more trouble than its worth.
      Last edited by Randy Haskin; 10-02-2007, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I used to work on p-2v neptunes and the 3350's mounted on them were turbo compound 3350's which produce 3350 HP using PRT's (power recovery turbines)the turbins 6ea. use the exhaust gases to recover almost 70% of the power lost out the exhaust would probably be difficult to mount something like this on Dago but I think it would be very easy for The Bear to do. Just change the engine. does anyone know what type of 3350 Rare Bear uses ? not trying to hijack this thread just wondering

Comment

I don't think Skip was holding much back in the Friday race a few years back. That is still the fastest I have personally seen an Unlimited go. It looked like more than just enough.
          Last edited by wyhdah; 10-03-2007, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MT mechanic
            I used to work on p-2v neptunes and the 3350's mounted on them were turbo compound 3350's which produce 3350 HP using PRT's (power recovery turbines)the turbins 6ea. use the exhaust gases to recover almost 70% of the power lost out the exhaust would probably be difficult to mount something like this on Dago but I think it would be very easy for The Bear to do. Just change the engine.
            The subject on using PRTs at Reno has been discussed at length, and the general consensus is that the PRT 'Monkey Motion' would not survive at race speeds pulling G's.

Comment

Speaking of stack thrust, has anyone else noticed the stacks have been extended and appear to be 'necked down' on 232?

Comment

Sorry, I did not make myself clear...this has nothing to do with recovering power through mechanical means....the theory is that the
                JET thrust...the escaping gas shooting out the exaust pipes facing to the rear, would create thrust.....that is how I am reading the article anyway.....

Comment

Working...
                X