White Lightnin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Lightnin

There's a site for everyone who wants to see Lefty's P-38 "White Lightnin" back in the air. While in Reno, I agreed to help with the site. While there's not much there now, we're working quickly to get a great site up and running. So keep an eye out to http://www.p38whitelightnin.com/ for information on the plane, the restoration progress and what you can do to help get this beautiful, historic plane back in the air!
    I know from talking to folks on the ramp this year that everyone wants to see White Lightnin fly again, so let's show Lefty and Ladd our support!

Re: White Lightnin Site

Originally posted by Cindy
    While in Reno, I agreed to help with the site. ...so let's show Lefty and Ladd our support!
    Cindy,

I too offered Ladd to help with the web site while at Reno. So if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Glenn
    gsbloom@oklahoma.net

Comment

Lefty- The Pilot-The Man

I believe that the restoration and eventual return of White Lightnin will be more than just a story of heroic efforts to get an airplane flying again. Lefty and his beloved White Lightnin are a team unmatched by anyone else. When in the air he and his plane become an entity unmatched by anyone, slipping through the air with a grace and beauty that literally takes your breath away. While nearly everyone knows what a wonderful gentleman Lefty is many have not had the opportunity to know just how much he has given to us. For example, I cannot count the times at Reno, when other show acts could not get off of the ground for some reason or when a race was delayed, Lefty would jump into his gleaming white steed and immediately go airborn, entertaining the crowd with his typical liquid smooth performance to the tune of the softly humming Allisons. More than once I heard him radio back to race control that he would just keep going until something else was ready to get airborn. One vivid race related memory occured several years ago when, due to mechanical problems Lefty could not get airborn to qualify a P-51 until after the close of the last day of qualifying. I was serving as a pylon judge at the time and the radio call came out- was anyone willing to stay over so Lefty could attempt to qualify. The airways were immediately jammed with replies- YES! we will stay out here till the cows come home just to see him fly! The attempt was made and aborted, gremlins once again reared thier heads, and as he was on final approach back to Stead, instead of complaining about his fate, he, knowing we all monitored the race control frequency, appologized for keeping us out there so late and letting us down!!!!! When I returned to the ramp, tears came to my eyes----- There was Lefty in his pit and in front of him was a line of officials, fans and others a quarter mile long waiting to shake his hand!! Lefty, you didn't let anyone down, instead, you provided us with yet another page in the very large book of pleasures you have given us over the years.

Many have been called the "pilots pilot" and most deservedly so but Lefty, you are truly at the top of the list of "The pilots pilot" but even more importantly you are the absolute top of the list of "Gentlemans Gentleman" We are looking forward to seeing you and your beautiful white bird in the air once again.

Comment

Fans Pilot.

Lefty is a Reno fan lover and has never let the fans of the Reno AirRaces down.
        I am proud to say I saw them two race, not everybody can say that and they may never get the chance.
        Enjoy any time you can get to see them.
        ECVSteve
        E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
        Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Working...
        X