• Show
Clear All

• Blistered Paint

What happened to do this?
    Attached Files

Re: Blistered Paint

Originally posted by Ken from PG
    That was a VERY unhappy engine. Mike made that mayday landing look easy.
    I’ve seen the cockpit footage from the race and it went from one second running smooth to bang and smoke in the cockpit.
    Jason Schillereff

Comment

Obviously an engine fire, but from the stands all it looked like was a little smoke and a mayday followed by a perfect recovery. There's a story behind this and I sure would like to hear it.

Comment

Obviously an engine fire, but from the stands all it looked like was a little smoke and a mayday followed by a perfect recovery. There's a story behind this and I sure would like to hear it.
        Here's a shot from the backside of course, definitely more that just a little smoke coming out of both sides
        Attached Files
        "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

There's a story behind this and I sure would like to hear it.
          Hoooo boy, I'd bet there is! Just what happened to MB and this airplane all week... Why did she melt down at slower speeds than last year? Could the pearl of wisdom which has been spoken by several in the know "if you want to go slower on the course, clip the wings" be true? Could it be something else?? PB has a theroy...

Something else?

What happened?? Wish Mike would tell HIS story here as have the other top players!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I have a theory - She ran out of coolant!!!!! - LOL MERLINS FOREVER!!!

Note: No harm intended, I love watching all the racers(even the ones with those "round" engines). Glad she made it on the ground with nobody hurt and good luck to her next year!!!

Comment

Yes, there was one heck of a fire on board and an engine that is obviously broken bad. Mike did a great job getting the airplane down, having had the cockpit fill with smoke and no engine power for the descent. The cockpit video is quite stunning.

The team had a rough Sunday. First, the Tigercat lost a starter before the final race and couldn't start one engine. Then 911 started smoking after the race (turned out only to be a coil) and 232 broke during the gold race. I can tell you - fielding one airplane at the races is no small feat. Bringing three is quite challenging.

The what and why's are obviously within the crew and they will release what information that they deem appropriate. I can only wonder what theories and rumors are floating around behind the scenes as compared to the truth. They are working to get the racer taken apart and back home to start digging into and looking at things in detail.

Michael
              Last edited by Mluvara; 10-01-2007, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I, for one, would love to see the Data Reduced from that sortee!!!Mr."RCATs" will be making a trip or two to the Brown Camp I suspect....
                You'll get to put on your 'CSI' hat and be a forensics dude!
                Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

The 'Organ Pipes' played a sour note....
                  Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB
                    I, for one, would love to see the Data Reduced from that sortee!!!Mr."RCATs" will be making a trip or two to the Brown Camp I suspect....
                    You'll get to put on your 'CSI' hat and be a forensics dude!
                    I bet a lot of people would like to see it...

I watched the telemetry live during the gold race, as with all the other runs on 232. Honestly, I haven't looked at the data in detail yet, and like many, need a break from Reno. Certainly, I will be looking at the data in-depth at a future date. It took me a month last year to disseminate a week's data in detail and build a report on it.

I can tell you that when the engine let go and the fire started, it wiped out A LOT of sensors and short circuited some things.

Michael

Comment

I'm just really glad Mr. Brown got down safe and sound.

In British car electrical systems we refer to the smoke getting out, and thus the system stops working. I'll speculate the same thing happened to September Fury's engine.

Yeah I know, "Shut up Robert and go have another beer."
                      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Well, the engine failed and there was some fire. What more is there..? (Not trying to be a snot...)

Comment

Originally posted by Bottom Rudder
                          What more is there..?
                          PiRep??
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

There is a statement on the Pops web site... Maybe Michael doesn't want to make any further comments? Just because you want something doesn't mean it's going to happen. It seems to me he keeps out of the limelight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bottom Rudder
                              There is a statement on the Pops web site... Maybe Michael doesn't want to make any further comments? Just because you want something doesn't mean it's going to happen. It seems to me he keeps out of the limelight.
                              And that is a wise decision!
                              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Working...
                              X