Rare Bear questions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear questions??

I have a few question regarding Rare Bear.

1. Have they considered clipping the wings any shorter?? I believe Conquest I were slightly shorter.

2. Any thought given to changing the windshield/canopy? I know it's modified, but is there room for further reduction in that area?

3. Has there ever been talk of installing a 4360, or this totally unreal, because of weight or ??

4. Are there any other future mods that you can talk about in the works?

5. Also, from what I've read, the paint scheme is temporary, is this true? It's nice, and I know the team was really pushed, but personally I don't care for the flame/squiggly scheme.......I'm sure that will draw some flack LOL...............but no matte how she's painted, got to love her. Thanks to all.
    Brian

Re: Rare Bear questions??

Originally posted by supercub

5. Also, from what I've read, the paint scheme is temporary, is this true? It's nice, and I know the team was really pushed, but personally I don't care for the flame/squiggly scheme.......I'm sure that will draw some flack LOL...............but no matte how she's painted, got to love her. Thanks to all.
    Brian
    I can answer this one...

Yes, the paint on 'Rare Bear' is temporary. Don't know about the other questions though.

Comment

supercub,
      in regards to clipping the wings further on the airplane i would suggest you watch the video of john deadsticking the bearcat after the gold race this year(it's in the john penney thread), that thing was coming down at a fairly steep angle. in his post john said that under normal circumstances "over the fence speed" is 105 kts., he flew that approach at 125 kts. for safety reasons and that did make the approach steeper than normal. removing more of the wing would make an already difficult aircraft more difficult, especially in an emergency. besides, it's still the fasted piston powered anything on (or off?) the planet.

Comment

All I have to say is... If it Aint Broke Don't fix it ... but....After all the crud from the cowl got everywhere, there is probably a lot to fix ..
        W.Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by jetsarehard
          supercub,
          it's still the fasted piston powered anything on (or off?) the planet.
          Doh! you mean 2nd fastest . . . . the fastest is red

Comment

History My Friend.

Comment

aro achrive Shawn
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the photo...that must go way back.

Lonnie

Comment

1976 Mojavy

Comment

Originally posted by Dago Dog
                    Doh! you mean 2nd fastest . . . . the fastest is red

Not acording to the OFFICIAL record books.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee
                      Not acording to the OFFICIAL record books.
                      Even unofficially, it's still quite debatable if you go by Lyle's account (from what I've heard).
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Being the #1 Mustang fan, I hate to admit it, but, according to the Library of Congress book of facts I have..."The fastest a piston engined aircraft has ever flown is 528 mph. The record was set on August 21, 1989, by Lyle Shelton in a modified Grumman F8F Bearcat, Rare Bear, equipped with a 3800-hp Wright 3350 engine." In order for Strega to beat this mark by the 1% required by the FAI to establish a new record, it would have to average 533.28 mph in 4 passes over the 3 km course(2 each way). Go Tiger!!!!!

Comment

TO MUSTANG5151
                          You found it, I was almost to write about the official Rare Bear world speed record. I'm sorry, but Shelton and Rare Bear were the firsts, and that is another bean in favor to RB people.

Comment

Talking about official records:

Comment

Working...
                            X