Not planes...but it rymes with it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not planes...but it rymes with it

I made a trip of my own...would rather have been to the 'Gathering', but...

Trains do rhyme with Planes...

Lonnie
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MMPerk; 09-29-2007, 10:08 PM.

Re: Not planes...but it rymes with it

cool pictures! one of my other hobbies is trains .... thanks for posting

Comment

Originally posted by wardog
      cool pictures! one of my other hobbies is trains .... thanks for posting

You are very welcome...I'm going to work on the 'Rare Bear' gallery tonight...hope to get it at least partially finished...nothing fancy. And then tomorrow I'll get the train gallery put together. Had a great time today and even learned a few things...lol

It's so much easier to pan and shoot something moving 15mph verses something screaming along at 400+

Lonnie
      Last edited by MMPerk; 09-29-2007, 11:11 PM.

Comment

How old is the pic of the DD40? Is that monster actually operational?
        Rob
        Merlins are cool
        But Radials rule!
        And jets just make noise

Comment

Trains are a hobby of mine too........seems like Planes, Trains and Sailing often appeal to the same group of people. On Monday after the Air Races this year, took a drive up to Virginia City.......fun place. They have a train ride there that takes about 35 minutes round trip down to Silver City, probably about 3 miles away or so. Was Fun.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by 64chrysler300
            How old is the pic of the DD40? Is that monster actually operational?

That pic is just about 30 hours old. And it is operational...this one is actually owned by Union Pacific, and if I heard right is going to be spending the coming winter at the Portola Railroad Museum. I've got some video of it moving a small consist. It is hooked up to the museums own DD40 which is not operational, but they used the working one to move it around.

I plan to get a gallery up...maybe tonight still.

Lonnie

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
              Trains are a hobby of mine too........seems like Planes, Trains and Sailing often appeal to the same group of people. On Monday after the Air Races this year, took a drive up to Virginia City.......fun place. They have a train ride there that takes about 35 minutes round trip down to Silver City, probably about 3 miles away or so. Was Fun.
              Brian

The tracks run about 2 miles or so South of Gold Hill now to American Flats. They have opened tunnel #2, and I understand that there has been a deal of work done to it. I'm going to take my jeep up there and check it out.

Lonnie

Comment

Howdy to all,

The photos from my trip to the Western Pacific Railroad Museum's 2007 Railfan Photographer's Day are now up. I'll be tweaking on this gallery to do some editing and add some information to the photos.

Lonnie

Comment

How come none of the wheels are blurry?

Great Pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                    How come none of the wheels are blurry?

Great Pictures
                    I think you have to set shutter speed with a sundial to get the "wheel blur" just right.

Comment

Aint that the truth. One nice thing though, from the time you hear and first see the train, you have more than a few seconds to shoot it. Silly me, with the camera on continuous...it looked like the trains were moving in slow motion. I kept thinking that it didn't seem to be moving very fast

The trip was a nice change of pace and great chance to recharge my batteries. They were going to give a night photo seminar, but I just couldn't stay that late, plus my S3 doesn't have a remote or cable release.

I've got some video of that Centennial DD40X moving around, what a beast that thing is.

I told one of the workers at the museum that I was pretty sure that someone could fit an R3350 onto the steam locomotive that's being worked on in the shop. At first he didn't know what to think, but then after I explained what I was talking about to him, he got it.

Time for me to get ready for that four letter word...work.

Lonnie
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X