What ever happened to............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever happened to............

Mr. Awesome/Red Heat/Frostbite? I found it on the web years ago as "Red Heat". The plane looked to be complete and ready to fly. Fresh paint and everything. Then it got sold to Jack Frost and I have never been able to find anything else out about its state of readiness. Anyone know anything?
    I still kick myself in the butt for not taking some pictures of it on the ramp in '89 pre-qualifying with all its fuselage skins removed, fresh T-33 tail, and cowling mods complete. "Oh, they'll do it again later." I told myself as I rushed off to the VOS. Little did I realise that would be the last time I would get to see the plane in one piece! Watched it auger in through binoculars All I got was some shots of them loading it up on the airport flatbed and then some of it looking all forlorn sitting on that ancient truck to be hauled off. Did anyone else get that ramp shot?
    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Re: What ever happened to............

I know the feeling. Before Gary Levitz took off on his last flight, he stood by the tail of Miss Ashley smiling and beaming, looking like a super hero, right in front of us in the pits, he was in the runup area beyond the rope. How I wish I would have taken a picture of him standing there!!!! it would be so important now. Thankfully I took pictures of the plane that day it was one of my favorites and that was the first time I'd seen it. Every time I saw him that day he had a smile on his face. Does anybody have that picture of him?

John
    Last edited by John H; 09-25-2007, 11:56 PM.

Comment

It belongs to Jack Frost, in Marianna, AR. I believe it just came back available on the market for sale.

Gary

Comment

Here's Mr Awesome in '88.
        Attached Files

Comment

Cool pic. I liked the original tail too. Made it look like a SUPER DUPER Mooney! I was out at Lemmon Valley in '87 and Skip made some passes right over us during qualifying. Truly 'Awesome. You could tell the plane was squirrley.

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk
            Cool pic. I liked the original tail too. Made it look like a SUPER DUPER Mooney! I was out at Lemmon Valley in '87 and Skip made some passes right over us during qualifying. Truly 'Awesome. You could tell the plane was squirrley.
            Sorry, I meant '88. DUH

Comment

I remember it as "mr AWFUL" I think thats what Skip called it

Originally posted by number17fan
              Here's Mr Awesome in '88.

Comment

Working...
              X