Rare Bear Flap ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear Flap ??

It appeared that Rare Bears flaps were unpainted........was there a reason for this?? Thanks
    Brian

Re: Rare Bear Flap ??

Rare Beara, She have a no flapsa!
    Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
      It appeared that Rare Bears flaps were unpainted........was there a reason for this?? Thanks
      Brian

I can't say for sure, but I will make a call and or two tomorrow.

Lonnie
      Attached Files

Comment

Flaps were removed, new sheet metal installed to cover area. no time to paint.
        Brad
        Windy Hill GA83

Comment

I don't know if plans are set in concrete but I heard at least one member of the crew say that they were going to leave the "faired in flaps" unpainted and even polish the bare metal...

Dunno if that's what will be the end result but would look pretty cool!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

When the Bear was painted at the end of August, Brian our sheet metal guru was still pounding rivets in the new skins where the flaps were. We had plans to paint them later in the week (weeks) but we had so many other things to work on before race week, we just didn't get to them. When Rod came to Reno, he liked them with no paint and told us not to worry about them. So there ya have it, shiny trailing edges. Not 100% sure but I would guess they will have paint on them next year.

Seeyaontheramp
            Scott

Comment

I like them painted, and I like them unpainted. I just love that damn airplane!
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Hi Folks...

Just joined in. Did Reno for the 12th time this year...and it's always a good year when the Bear wins!! (Actually, overall it was a terrible year...three guys took their last check-ride West. We were there for Tommy Rose and Gary Levitz too...not good.) But...the Bear was back in the hunt so things turned out well.

The flaps could be white and look great, or, they could be polished and look great...I would like to the the "77" back on the wing though. But, one thing I DON'T like is the four-blade prop. The crew chief told me it's the fastest prop in the world and causes much less vibration (apparently Penny could hardly read the gauges from vibration with the 3-blade) ...BUT...is doesn't S O U N D like the Bear used to! Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound BAD, hell, neither do the Sea Fury's or the 'stangs. But...with the three-blade, Bear had a completely unique audio signature that boarded on ETHEREAL. No recip powered aircraft...big, little or otherwise...has ever sounded as profoundly wonderful as the Bear on full song with that modified P3 fan. EVER. A sound that just can't be expressed...it has to be FELT!

Anyhow, I'm asking you all for some help...I need a picture or two of the new paint scheme the Bear was wearing this year. I HAD pictures, but lost my camera on the plane ride home. And...I can't find the new colors anywhere...looking for them is how I found you guys. My address is <rhino.tirade@cox.net>. If you have any, would you please e-zap me with 'em. The best would be a nice broad-side view on the ground. If you can help me out, thanks so much in advance.

Rhino
                The BEAR in '08!

Comment

A question.....

I noticed for years that there are two tails on f8s...

Theres one fuse "extention" ( just below the rudder)

and

Theres a "truncated" end or (short chingus vs a long chingus.

Pls. esplain me

thanks
                  BMarsh

Comment

Bill

The short one is how a Bearcat is stock. The longer chingus, as you put it, is there for aero reasons to smooth the airflow off of the fuselage in that region.

Hope that splains what I think you were asking about.
                    Red
                    chanting...400+

Comment

Working...
                    X