Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying CzechMate

To All:

Many of you have asked what it is like flying a little Yak-11 against all those monsters on the race course. Well, here it goes... First, thank you all for supporting a sport that we all love. Without you, we would not have the races, period! I also want to thank all those horse voices out there for cheering me on. What you don't know is that all the noise you make for me is really soul music for our team. I have come back from my craziness to many tearful, proud team member eyes because of you. You really keep the Czechmate team pumped up by all your support. Again, thank you.
    I know most of you have seen our racer. Some of the quirks are:
    Stiff legs. No oleos. I must land and T.O. 3 point. The prop is only 7 inches off the ground. Can be a real b#t#h on crosswind landings. And we all know how Reno blows! We could use a longer prop to efficiently convert the HP we have to thrust. We just don't have the clearance.
    Next, the A/C weighs about 6700# empty, which is 200# more than the stock MGTW. Put chubby me, ADI, Spray bar H2O, and fuel and you have about 1100# more. This all adds up to fast approach and T/O speeds. Stall speed clean is 124 KIAS, yes Knots. Approach speed is 124 KIAS with Full Flaps and power. It's always close to the edge because any faster and this baby will float all the way down the runway!

Sorry fellas, got to go to work. Will continue with flying this evening

Ciao!

Sherm
    Sherm a.k.a "Smooter"

www.fighterpilotred.com

Re: Flying CzechMate

Thanks Sherm always good to see the Yak and to read your post.

Comment

Sounds like it needs a T-2 Buckeye wing and gear, along with a T-33 tail... Hmmm, sounds familiar about three times over! BTW, I'm proud to know the famous electric R/C modeler, Keith Shaw who did an amazing scale model of CM after Reno '04.

Thanks to the Moore's and Sherm for keepin' the 'Mate flying! Peas
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Thank you Sherm. This is awesome to be able to read and see from the racers as well as the fans.. You make us want to come out to see the races... Reak people flying real planes, real fast.. Thanks again.
        Cheers

Comment

Anxiously awaiting Part Two after work.

Don

Comment

Thanks Sherm!
            Attached Files

Comment

Teamwork!
              Attached Files
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Sherman ,

Many thanks for what you gave us. Hope you enjoyed the Red Fusion. We always cheer you on. Congrats on finishing 2nd. Thanks for hanging your Ba*** out everytime you strap in.

Sincerely,

Frank and Kathi Caruso

Comment

Thanks for sharing about what it takes to fly the giant killer, CzechMate. I've always wondered what it could do with more prop. I've never quite gotten that "signature" shot of Czechmate, but I make a point of trying every year. It's a great aircraft with an obviously dedicated crew.
                  Attached Files
                  No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                  http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Sherm,

Great race. You keep moving up closer to the front every year. One more spot and it's all yours ... Keep up the great racing. Congrats to you and your crew.

One from the ramp for you...

Warren
                    Attached Files

Comment

Those are all great photos! Look at the second photo posted by ignomini and "note" the right rudder being applied. Amazing!

Comment

When I was in Shafter for the airshow this year, someome asked Sherm what takeoff power was. He said "When it runs out of right rudder travel, that's takeoff power."

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini
                          I've never quite gotten that "signature" shot of Czechmate, but I make a point of trying every year. It's a great aircraft with an obviously dedicated crew.
                          I've only got a video of it somewhere, from about '98-'99 or so.. I think the "signature" angle on the Czech Mate is to shoot it as it lifts off on by home pylon.. The angle from the rear REALLY shows off just how darn big that prop is compared to the fuse!

Cudos to ANYONE who can successfully get that thing off and then BACK on the ground!!

Thanks Sherm for the writeup! Can't wait for more!

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Great post Mr. Smoot and really cool photos everyone. I agree with ignomimi, havent got the "spot on" shot of Czech.

I'm curious how much drag the unclean gear doors causes?

In any case, its great to see this thing round the course
                            Attached Files
                            "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Sherm,

Thanks so much for giving us all an insight into flying/racing a truly unique airplane. Czechmate is always fun to watch, it's great to see you routinly making solid runs in the Gold. Along with everyone else, I'm anxiously awaiting part 2!!!

Thanks to all who have posted pix of Race #86. On some of those take off shots, you can really see how much rudder that big prop requires on that little airframe!!

FBK

Comment

Working...
                              X