X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum v-12

Hello,

Did anyone see that aluminum v-12 outside
    the Rare-Bear pit? any info about the future use?

Re: aluminum v-12

Originally posted by dkittle
    Hello,

Did anyone see that aluminum v-12 outside
    the Rare-Bear pit? any info about the future use?
    That engine is the one that is being developed for the Bosefield/Ahlstrom DART racer and other purposes. Stay tuned for an article on this engine and more from those guys.

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I liked it.

Ya I saw her and according to the guy standing there its a fture replcement for the merlins and allisons.
      he could have also been a nut feeding me bull.
      ECVSteve
      E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
      Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

that's no bull, i was standing there one day helping eric and sam get the word out about the engine, this engine is truly awesome...
        heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Re: I liked it.

Originally posted by ecvsteve
          Ya I saw her and according to the guy standing there its a fture replcement for the merlins and allisons.
          he could have also been a nut feeding me bull.
          This will come out in a future article, but for now we need to keep the information accurate.

The engine shown was a short stroke version of our 1002 ci 60 degree Atlas V12RT Unlimited engine. Our target is to make 1600 to 2400 HP for 100 hours between service intervals. Current Merlin and radial technology is only good for a few hours at 3000 to 4000 HP; sometimes much less. There are a plethora of doubters out there and no shortage of critcism. My reply is to ask anyone who thinks this is a bad idea what THEY are doing to solve the disapeering parts supply problem. Discussing competing solutions is productive and I encourage anyone taking alternative action on this problem to push their projects forward.

The Atlas V12RT is not a Merlin replacement. It is 2/3 the displacement, 3/4 the power and half the size and weight of a Merlin or Allison. The engine is all billet, and so the design could be expanded to the weight and displacement that would fit and balance in a Mustang. Such an engine would be 1850 to 2000 ci and could produce a reliable 4000 to 4500 HP, turbocharged. Yes, all of that fits in a Mustang cowl. We have estimated the cost of the program to do this and after the Atlas flies in our own aircraft, we will probably see interest in the Merlin replacement.

Eric Ahlstrom
          Star Aerospace LLC

Comment

A beautiful mind...is a terrible thing to waste...I think...

My reply is to ask anyone who thinks this is a bad idea what THEY are doing to solve the disapeering parts supply problem.
            Like any good singer who loses their voice in the midst of a song, leaving it to the band!

(1) Band Aids

(2) Rubber bands

(3) Recycling aluminum (To raise money for the band!)

AAFO_Crew

"I love the smell of airplane glue in the morning...smells like...uh...yeah...well...uh..."

Comment

Working...
            X