No disrespect intended...but:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No disrespect intended...but:

I was over at pylon1 for the first time today and saw their version of the message area. I could not believe the inacurate information being passed over there.

Someone talked about cuffed props saying that the "cuff" was on the trailing edge of the propell[e]r and was about 1 - 1 1/2 ".

Someone talked about "Voodo's" engine being totally stock...but that it pulled 85 inches of manifold pressure... (War Emergency Power for a stock Merlin is 60 and is time limited).

Soneone else talked about Stega's engine being a rebuild...when it was a direct swap.

I think I would rather stay here. I think the quality of information is better.

Glenn

Glenn,
    A cuffed Skyraider propeller has a cuff (or flap shape) on the trailing edge of the blade about one and a half inches in length. this is an M20-162-0 Blade, the non cuffed Skyraider blade has no cuff on the trailing edge and is an H-20G-162-0 Blade. so the information regarding this was accurate. As for the basically stock -9 that was in VooDoo, if you block the Boost control on the engine you can exceed the rated boost easily. Don't throw rocks on what you do not fully understand. Now feel free to correct my spelling as required.
    John Slack

Comment

Glenn,
      Also in Tribute to What Mike Barrow accomplished at Reno this year you would be very incorrect to call his work a Swap. Mike had to take parts back across California for repair, brought another engine to Reno that needed repair, assembled the best parts available and created a different engine in the hangar, on the ramp, closer to a rebuild than a swap. and a fine effort by a team that would have been better off to just stop with one broken engine instead of the two they now will have to fix. overall they came to race and it showed.
      John Slack

Comment

Someone?

"Someone talked about "Voodo's" engine being totally stock...but that it pulled 85 inches of manifold pressure... (War Emergency Power for a stock Merlin is 60 and is time limited). "

That someone was Matt Jackson..........and he IS the pilot of VooDoo.

King

Comment

tiger's engine was neither a swap or a rebuild, it was making three engines into one, the third being the heads and possibly banks (forgot if they were included) from another engine because both dan martins' and tigers' engines had problems.

don't think info is inaccurate just because you don't think it's right, i've learned over the past two years that assumptions like that don't make you many friends.
          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Re: No disrespect intended...but:

Originally posted by gsbloom
            [B]I was over at pylon1 for the first time today and saw their version of the message area. I could not believe the inacurate information being passed over there.

Someone talked about cuffed props saying that the "cuff" was on the trailing edge of the propell[e]r and was about 1 - 1 1/2 ".
            That information is entirely correct... for an Aeroproducts Skyraider-type propellor.

The fact that it is "cuffed" in an entirely different way than the "cuffed" Hamilton-Standard propellor used on Mustangs is well-known (to those who know it well.)

Comment

No, the engine Strega ran on Saturday and Sunday was not comprised of three separate motors. It was 95+% Dan Martin's Mini-Mouse racing Merlin which Dan ran in Ridge Runner III from 1998-2000. The top-end WAS rebuilt by Mike Barrow on Wednesday and Thursday before being returned on Friday to be re-mated to the Mini-Mouse (Merlin rods) lower end. So, yes, the engine was rebuilt and was not simply a matter of swapping pieces and parts.

Comment

ah, thanks for correcting my mistake, much appreciated...
                heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Corrections and rebuttals

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Glenn,
                  A cuffed Skyraider propeller has a cuff (or flap shape) on the trailing edge of the blade about one and a half inches in length.
                  John,

I had never heard of it called a "Cuff" before. The traditional "Cuff" as I had always understood it was the intermediate area between the blade and the spinner. If the other is also called a "Cuff", it is a totally new reference to me. I stand corrected.

As for the basically stock -9 that was in VooDoo, if you block the Boost control on the engine you can exceed the rated boost easily.
                  "Basically stock" is not "stock". A stock Merlin is one unmodified as it came straight out of the factory. If it exceeds the rated boost through modification, it is not "stock". It is modified, even if only a little. He did not say "Basically stock...he said "stock"...which apparently it wasn't.

As for the "Swap". I went to the hangar myself, and that is what I was told face to face by the crew who were there. They said it was a "swap" of Dan Martins motor into Strega. If they told me something untrue, then so be it. Again, I stand corrected, however, I did get the misinformation directly from the crew. I did not pull it out of thin air. You would think the crew who work on the airplane would know what was going on. I guess that is not the case.

Comment

The funny thing is, Glenn...

John Slack IS a memeber of the Strega crew.

He didn't pull his information out of thin air either.

Comment

Stock Vs. Un-stock

As Matt Jackson said, It's a transport model and "at 85 inches she is not working hard either. Stock Northstar takeoff power settings. Feed her a little ADI keep her oil cool and she'll run all day at that setting."

Enough said.

King

Comment

Oh really????

The funny thing is, Glenn...

John Slack IS a memeber of the Strega crew.

He didn't pull his information out of thin air either.
                        I know John...and John knows me. My Mother used to work for Lyle, and John and I pretty much grew up together on the ramps at Reno and Mojave. john and I have a long history and he knows he can say anything to me and I will respect it, even if I disagree.

Most likely, I do not know you, nor do you know me. I would not know because you failed to identify yourself. Usually a sign that you are not willing to stand behind what you say. Either way, you do not have to tell me who John is.

John wasn't at Reno. If he had been, I would have gotten my information from him. I can always count on his information to be accurate. Apparently, that was not the case with the people I talked to who were there.

G

Comment

Not to (re) start a war, but John Slack was at Reno, I shook his hand after I identified him by his name tag. This was friday after the races in the Bears hangar. Back to being a lurker. Herb

Comment

Not what I had heard...

Not to (re) start a war, but John Slack was at Reno, I shook his hand after I identified him by his name tag. This was friday after the races in the Bears hangar. Back to being a lurker. Herb
                            I asked Lyle if John was there, and he said no. He said John could not make it. I had no reason to doubt Lyle. I specifically wanted to see John, and if he was there, I am sorry I missed him. It was my intent to visit with him.

Glenn

Comment

john slack

Yes, he was indeed there. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Thorne's motorhome and we chatted a bit. Very nice guy!
                              John - if you remember me, I was the one hanging out with Rick H. from the Unlimited Tech crew.....thanks for taking the time to b.s. Enjoyed it. Best of luck getting the Bear in the air soon!

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X