08.... jets or no jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08.... jets or no jets

Now that the smoke has cleared a bit....

Are we "comfortable" with the 07 venue as it stands

or are leaning towards taking the "un" out of uncomfortable (quoted by some posters).

I saw some video from someone (gold or silver... i donno)..... looks like a pack of sprint cars mixing it up on a clay track.

Bmarsh

Re: 08.... jets or no jets

if they run the same course I have to say a big NO on a jet race. I think the pilots spent to much time in tight, high G turns. Them babies need some straightaways to give them a chance to seperate some. I think a track shaped like Indy would be ideal. On the current course they have no time to relax and settle in to their line. Like it was previously stated they look like 500mph sprint cars as it sits now.

Comment

Unless they can change the course, then I think it would be best to not have the jets back. I hate to see any class get bumped form the schedule, but it may be for the best. Along the same lines I have a few ideas on how they might be able to re arange some things in the pits / ramp area that might give a little more saftey buffer to the crowd without really hurting the spectating. I'm gonna give it a while to cool off around here before I speak up though.

Comment

The only way you are going to make the track safer is to move everyone and everything to the center of the track, and even that drastic measure wouldn't grant 100% safety.

I say, bring them back next year and fly the unlimited course (not a lot of room out there for changes anyway), but be sure the jet-class pilot training includes heavy discussion about flying directly behind a leading aircraft. 2007's tragedy will make for a great incentive for them to listen closely.

Space the guys/gals out a bit in the vertical when circling the track, at least until the class matures a bit more and the characteristics of flying jets on a tight circuit in close quarters is better known (jets racing at slower speeds than many unlimiteds too, mind you).

IF you MUST, move the last 2 pylons on the final turn back another 100-200 feet from the deadline, so that racers can start making the last turn before Home pylon a little sooner, thus granting a wider radius turn during the brief period that the planes are aimed at the pits and grandstands.

If every event closed after the first major crash happened, you'd see nothing but kids throwing paper airplanes at Reno and racing Hot Wheels at Nascar and NHRA.

I see no problems here that cannot be solved with clear thinking and common sense. But first the emotional stages have to pass. Try this discussion when PRS comes up next year. it's to early ( and too soon) to debate rationally.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 09-20-2007, 09:50 PM.

Comment

SPECTATOR EXPOSURE

Personally, i have always had in the back of my mind, the what if factor, when the unlimiteds are making the last turn and directly heading towards the pits and then the bleachers before straightening out in a completed lap.

we are talking about 10 to 20 seconds of higher potential
          risk (to a consentrated group of spectators)
          "Who knew" ... thanks Sienfeld.

Hey... maybe ill choke to death on a hot dog and die watching
          some stupid movie. "Who knew"

BMarsh

Comment

It was utter chaos when the jets came around pylon 8 just prior to the horrible crash. Too many aircraft trying to navigate the course, too bunched up, too competitive to give an inch, and just a recipe for the disaster that occured. I feel horrible reliving the crash in my mind and feel for the family and friends of Brad. As bad as it was, it could have been a catastrophe had it occured a few seconds earlier.

Something must be changed.

Comment

While the "gaggle" of planes is certainly cause for concern, I think they are just too fast coming down the VOS to make the turn safely onto the front straight. Bank angles in excess of 90 degrees were pretty common. Also, at those speeds the pilot is mentally way behind the airplane and cannot possibly react quickly enough to correct any disturbance to the intended flight path.

Sadly, I must say, "NO MORE JETS".

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                I see no problems here that cannot be solved with clear thinking and common sense. But first the emotional stages have to pass. Try this discussion when PRS comes up next year. it's to early ( and too soon) to debate rationally.
                What AirDOGGe said. to every word.

In another post I bluntly stated hysteria and panic are never appropriate... this is what I'm talking about.

I may share some of your views about Jet class safety, but as a spectator and pilot, I will not kneejerk no matter what.

RARA has always made decent safety decisions/procedures, and the Jet class has been flying for YEARS now (has it been a decade yet?). Give the RARA system time to work this out.
                Last edited by MRussell; 09-21-2007, 07:22 AM.
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I have to agree to "No More Jets", but if they Must, it should be on the Unlimited Course. That was Dangerous Stuff, those guys knew it, the First Race was Wild, the 2nd was Insane, but it wasn't Boring, as it was in the past. All I can say is that it was akin to "Death By Chocolate"...Brave People playing a Dangerous Game...D.

Comment

Originally posted by David E. Wells
                    All I can say is that it was akin to "Death By Chocolate"...Brave People playing a Dangerous Game...D.
                    Congrats; now you understand all of air racing.
                    _________
                    -Matt
                    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I say no to the jets, but not so much for safety, but because I've always found them boring.

Comment

I agree...with the boring part - no offense to those who participate. The sound is so glassy it kind of puts me to sleep. Give me pistons!

Comment

Sorry, I have to disagree here. The last couple of jet races included the ill-fated race had some of the best racing in them I've seen in a while. Keep them, it'll keep the races alive while we transition from unlimiteds to something else ( sport class, super sport, exotics whatever)

Comment

What about "Vintage Racing" where Competition is by: 1.Historic and/or Technical Originality (pts.) 2.Race Performance 3.Peoples Choice (Vote)

That way a P-38, or P-61, Or Maybe a Tigercat OR WHAT???...could Win the GOLD...Maybe you could make a Bet!...D.

Comment

A few years back they had a Demo Race with about 6 or 8 T-28's. I had fun watching that. What ever happen to that experiment? If the jets go I would like to see something like that.
                              Jay Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X