IF1 Silver Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF1 Silver Update

During a post race tech inspection of the 2nd place winner of Sundays IF1 Silver Race, an out of tolerance carburator part was discovered. The pilot/owner was not aware that the "illegal" part was installed. He had not replaced the venturi since the purchase of his previously raced plane from a well known race pilot. This new owner and rookie pilot flew the course all week like a pro, only to be crushed at the end by a tech rep doing his job. His standings went from 2nd Silver to 8th Silver. Beware all IF1 rookies and new racer owners (there's a lot of ya), just because your plane was a prior racer, it doesn't mean all is legal in the eyes of the tech reps. Learn the IF1 tech rules, and carefully inspect all the listed parts and componants on your planes. Although Dan Borgstrom and crew, flying Half Fast, accepted the 2nd place trophy, we are all saddened that an exceptional pilot (and all around good guy) and crew were busted by a technicality. Know what is installed on your machines, be safe and we'll see ya all next year.
    Clay "Bolt On" Bolton

Where were the tech inspectors before the race?

I thought technical inspection occurred before the race -- at least the type that should have ferreted out illegal equipment, thereby giving the pilot and his crew the opportunity to come into specs before racing.

How is it that this was discovered after the race, and not before...?

Comment

All planes go through a prerace tech inspection. The inspection covers things like safty equipment and thier placement. (seat belt placement going over the scholder and are mounted to a hard mount equal to or slightly over the scholder. To help prevent compression of the spine). They will check to make sure that the engine mounts are in spec, and that the cable is run around the engine so that it will not fall off in case a mount breaks durring a race. They can check controle serface wires for kinks and rubbing, and or fraying. The safty list goes on for ever.

Do to time, and the number of planes enterd into a contest. it is impossible to check all the aircraft for engine specs, carb specs. and so forth. So they will randomly pick 4 or 5 or more and check them on a pre race inspection. After a heat or a meddling race they (the tech inspectors) have the right to pull a aircraft and check it for spicfic things like the carb. race fule, engine specs, and so forth.

It has been a while sence I have been involved in the tech aspect of the race planes. And my experiance has been in the biplanes. So I may be off on some of the issues, but I an not to far off.

Wolfee

Comment

Working...
      X