SF Fleet Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF Fleet Week

San Francisco Fleet Week is taking place Oct 4-9th, I plan on attending for the first time in the 10 years I've lived here in CA. Can anyone tell me a good spot to sit where all the action (Flying action that is) can be seen and photographed. And NO, I don't have a boat so sitting in the bay isn't an option.
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Re: SF Fleet Week

Well, the best spot would be 'Show Center' at Aquatic Park. Marina green is a great open area with few obstructions. There are Chalets for purchase with catering. The pier at Aquatic Park will be very restricted due to the condition of the structure. I wonder if Pier 45 or Hyde Street Pier will have some limited access at the end. I would not think so as they are commercial venues. How about the end of pier 39? I am sure it will be packed with people. Come early and bring a lunch. Good Luck.

Comment

Stevo - I went to the final day of Fleet Week in 2003 and had a great view from the stern of the "Balclutha", the square rigger that's moored at Aquatic Park. Wasn't too crowded, and it got me up above the water for some good shots of the Blue Angels. Used to be $5 to get on the ship; pretty cheap for a good viewing spot. I remember one of the two BA solos entered from the west going under the Golden Gate Bridge..

Have fun and post some photos!!
      Mark Johnson
      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Thanks for the info Mark. I just did a little checking on the internet and it seems that it's still only $5 to get on the "Balclutha". Did anyone hassle you for hanging out on the ship just to get a better view of the airshow?
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
          Did anyone hassle you for hanging out on the ship just to get a better view of the airshow?
          Not at all. There were quite a few other folks on the ship doing the same thing I was, watching the show. Not enough to spoil the view, though..
          Mark Johnson
          Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Didn't make it onto the "Balclutha", seems there was some sort of function going on and it was at full capacity. Ah well, I got a few good shots from the Hyde St. Pier on Saturday then the Golden Gate bridge on Sunday. Here's Sundays pics for now.
            Last edited by Stevo; 10-07-2007, 08:25 PM.
            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
            My Photos
            My Ride

Comment

Any photos of the Su-29?

Comment

Originally posted by GIV Driver
                Any photos of the Su-29?
                This one? This is about the only decent photo I got of any of the acro prop jobs, they were just to far away from where I was even with a 400mm lens.
                Attached Files
                Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                My Photos
                My Ride

Comment

Stevo - Great shots of the Angels..I especially like the one with the GG bridge tower in the background. Thanks for posting.
                  Mark Johnson
                  Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Working...
                  X