PDA

View Full Version : SF Fleet Week

Stevo
09-18-2007, 07:04 PM
San Francisco Fleet Week (http://fleetweek.us/fleetweek) is taking place Oct 4-9th, I plan on attending for the first time in the 10 years I've lived here in CA. Can anyone tell me a good spot to sit where all the action (Flying action that is) can be seen and photographed. And NO, I don't have a boat so sitting in the bay isn't an option.

beachboss
09-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Well, the best spot would be 'Show Center' at Aquatic Park. Marina green is a great open area with few obstructions. There are Chalets for purchase with catering. The pier at Aquatic Park will be very restricted due to the condition of the structure. I wonder if Pier 45 or Hyde Street Pier will have some limited access at the end. I would not think so as they are commercial venues. How about the end of pier 39? I am sure it will be packed with people. Come early and bring a lunch. Good Luck. :) :)

MustangFan
09-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Stevo - I went to the final day of Fleet Week in 2003 and had a great view from the stern of the "Balclutha", the square rigger that's moored at Aquatic Park. Wasn't too crowded, and it got me up above the water for some good shots of the Blue Angels. Used to be $5 to get on the ship; pretty cheap for a good viewing spot. I remember one of the two BA solos entered from the west going under the Golden Gate Bridge..

Have fun and post some photos!!

Stevo
09-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the info Mark. I just did a little checking on the internet and it seems that it's still only $5 to get on the "Balclutha". Did anyone hassle you for hanging out on the ship just to get a better view of the airshow?

MustangFan
09-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Did anyone hassle you for hanging out on the ship just to get a better view of the airshow?

Not at all. There were quite a few other folks on the ship doing the same thing I was, watching the show. Not enough to spoil the view, though.. :D

Stevo
10-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Didn't make it onto the "Balclutha", seems there was some sort of function going on and it was at full capacity. Ah well, I got a few good shots from the Hyde St. Pier on Saturday then the Golden Gate bridge on Sunday. Here's Sundays pics (http://www.pbase.com/stevo71/fleet_week) for now.

GIV Driver
10-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Any photos of the Su-29?

Stevo
10-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Any photos of the Su-29?

This one? This is about the only decent photo I got of any of the acro prop jobs, they were just to far away from where I was even with a 400mm lens.

MustangFan
10-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Stevo - Great shots of the Angels..I especially like the one with the GG bridge tower in the background. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup: