• Show
Clear All

• ChecZ Mate 2nd in gold?

RaRa site has CZ as 2nd place

iz zat so?

cool

Bmarsh

Re: ChecZ Mate 2nd in gold?

Yep, dreadnaught was dq'd for some reason, the rcar site says a protest was pending but thats all, dosnt say what the outcome of the protest is/was etc.

Comment

Mr Smoot,

If i was 27 (again)..... i would be packing up my tool box and welding hood.... show up at your hanger (taking a woody hiaitas) and work for you gratis until sept 08.

This is a big deal for me and "the people and the little plane that could".

My gloomy life for the last years or so..... just got better.

Great effort, Bmarsh

Comment

Re. Dreadnought: The "Race Announcers" declared he had busted the deadline, a disqualifiable offense. But, it was Sherman's Finest Race!...D.

Comment

Rumor has it the protest is for aircraft misidentification on a deadline cut with video to backup the protest.

Jelge

Comment

Originally posted by Jelge
            Rumor has it the protest is for aircraft misidentification on a deadline cut with video to backup the protest.

Jelge
            Oh crap, that doesn't sound good in any way. I mean, big yay for Matt J. and everything... he always flies his heart out, but uh-oh for the other racers around him.
            _________
            -Matt
            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Well check mate (sorry for the poor spelling) did seem a lil bit wide and high about lap 2 or 3. I think he got into a bunch of dirty air, at the beginning he was certainly in the thick of things and flying fasssssssssssst indeed!

Comment

Yak questions

It would make you think at least a few other Yak owners would be at least considering the move up to R-2800 power and some other airframe race mods. How are the better dash number R-2800's for finding parts and low time engines?

On the subject of fast Yaks:

Any word out of Chino, or the Tom Camp team, if Miss Trinidad, race 27, (R-2000 coversion much like Holbrook Maslen's red & white race 88) which qualified well (379.25 mph) in 2002, is flying again?

Did the Yak down in Tennessee with the -9 Merlin in it ever fly?

Who lives in, or reasonably close to Arkansas, that can get a definitive photo report on Frostbite this off season?

We need more fast Yaks!

Comment

I was notified after the race that I had cut the eastern deadline. I was sceptical of the call as I have never had a problem with that side of the course ever in the last 20 years at Reno. We did have an onboard camera and after our initial viewing felt confident that I had remained well within the boundaries of the course. I had clearly convinced the Sanders that their hired gun had been wrongly accused of a most serious offence. After having the tape moved onto disc and blowing it up onto a large screen television and then overlaying it onto an aerial map that was shot on Monday morning by a local firm at great expense. I have determined that I may have in fact busted the eastern deadline on more then one occasion. It appears to be not by much, maybe a few feet, however a miss is as good as a mile in horse shoes, hand grenades, atom bombs and apparently air racing. It appears in the video my parade lap and 1st lap were high due to turbulence from the leaders. I was carrying the same pylon position on my windscreen as usual and did not adjust for the increase in elevation, a typical rookie mistake. I therefore extened my radius line to just possibly over the deadline on the first two laps. After lowering down onto the course on lap three my line was back into its usual correct location for the remainder of the race. In other words I screwed the pooch. I have already contacted RARA and removed my protest with an apology to Mr.Houghton. In addition to removing my protest I want to apologize to the Lineman that I doubted as well as thank the General for his patients while I ranted and raved about the call. Its probably not the first time the General has had to listen to the ravings of a lunatic. I imagined a conspiracy was in the making, when in reality it was the old mind playing games after a long hard week. After driving home and having a subsequent testosterone decrease my mind has returned to normal ( as normal as can be) and therefore feel compelled to eat a large plate of crow. Congrats to Smoot for his second place finish although he never did pass me ever!!!!!!!!! and never will. No more sausage and Fighter Pilot Red for me.

Matt Jackson

Comment

Mr Jackson it takes a large man in heart to admit he is wrong. I have been a avid air race fan since 1988 and live in proximity to the Reno Stead race course. And over the years I have pulled for every one of you heavy iron pilots. To me the race not the ultimate winner is more important. I just enjoy listening to and watching the birds of my youth doing speeds they were never meant to run. The sound of an engine
                    Merlin, or a Griffin, etc, at full song is awesome. Fly well live long and enjoy your abilities to take us mere grounded mortals to the hieghts every Septemeber at Reno

William Peck
                    USMC Msgt ret

Comment

Matt,

Thank you for coming on here and clearing the air regarding the DQ. I tip my hat to you for your candure about breaking the eastern boundry, though ever so slightly, and explaining the scenario for all of us to hear. Several of us, who were out on the course at several different locations, discussed your DG and course line, and felt as you did that perhaps you may have been judged a little harshly. Your line and altitude looked good to us. I guess what I am trying to say, is that you are the man for coming onto this public forum and taking responsibility for breaking a rule and accepting it. That makes you a stand-up guy in my book and I applaud your honesty. You flew an incredible race and it is a shame that turbulance and traffic forced you out. You certainly pushed Dreadnought to her limit during the gold race, and provided us out on the pylons with thrilling passes.

Dave

Comment

Matt, Thank you for posting your account from the man that was there. I hope this won't diminish or take away from your excellent flying that many people are in awe of. You seem to circle the pylons as if on rails, my hat's off to you sir. I look forward to seeing you fly many more races and possibly many more racers.

Thanks for all you do,

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

To Matt:

Now that's class. Love watching you fly. Got a great picture this year, too. Can I get it autographed next year?
                          Joe

Comment

That's a real man folks!
                            _________
                            -Matt
                            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Matt I have never met you but you sound like a stand up guy. Upfront and honest and not afraid to take the blame if and when your wrong. Ever thought about running for politics? We could use alot of people like you in there!! IMH.02O
                              Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Working...
                              X