Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As The Propeller Turns - Mike Brown + Dago Red?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As The Propeller Turns - Mike Brown + Dago Red?

We really don't like to print rumors but this one has come from so many reliable sources, we're gonna let it roll...

Word is out that a "handshake" deal between Dago owner Terry Bland and former reno Champion, Mike Brown have struck a deal for the purchase of Dago Red by Brown...

Somewhat less confirmed, we've also now gotten word that Mike has said he is through racing..

Hard one to swallow (the racing part) but...

Stay tuned... as the propeller turns..

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: As The Propeller Turns - Mike Brown + Dago Red?

I thought Dan Martin Owned Dago Red ??????? guess I maybe I'm Mistaking ??
    W.Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by RRMERLIN7
      I thought Dan Martin Owned Dago Red ??????? guess I maybe I'm Mistaking ??
      IIRC, I think Dan was leasing Dago from Mr. Bland. Someone correct me on this if my memory is wrong.

Interesting if true with regards to Mike Brown and Dago. If the current Sept. Fury crew stays intact, I imagine they might know a little bit about that Mustang...
      Mark Johnson
      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

dago racing
        mr brown = round engine fan how will this turn out?
        least kerch is there
        maybe a skip whould fly it?!?
        www.renosection3.com

Comment

I heard Mr. Martin tell more than one that he was never racing that "piece of %$^&" again. Too much money!
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

Somewhat less confirmed, we've also now gotten word that Mike has said he is through racing..
            I sure do hope thas not true... We ned more racers not less.
            Cheers

Comment

I saw Terry Bland in the pits Sunday afternoon and asked him if he had any plans for next year. He did tell me and those plans did not include Mike Brown. Maybe things changed after the Gold Race, I dunno.

Comment

The Deal last year was between Mike Barrow and Terry Bland - Not Danny and Terry.
                Race4Gold

Comment

I find it hard to believe Mike Brown would retire considering his investment in the sport, his success in the sport, passion, etc... If he is in fact going to be the new owner of Dego Red, maybe he plans to retire the plan. That would be a brilliant move on his part in my humble opinion. First it would eliminate that fast plane from competition and second it is a valuable piece of equipment (air race history) sure to increase in value. Now if he somehow pulls a George Steinbrenner (New York Yankees) and acquires Rare Bear to further his chances of winning we as fans will have to stage a revolt. Kind of like buying a trophie don't you think? I don't know Mr Brown but I think he likes competition more than that! OK scratch the first theory, maybe he just wants to preserve Dego Red but it sure would be nice to see her in the Gold! Maybe we could get that crop duster from Reno Over Thunder to fly her, lol!

Comment

or was it Thunder Over Reno, lol!

Comment

Hmmm -- ROT or TOR. Tough question

Comment

My information is that Mike Brown will stay with September Fury, But that there will be an engine replacement in the offing.

Comment

Hmmmm... a Griffon powered Sea Fury?
                          Seriously, besides rebuilding what he has are there any options? I thought the Bear/Critical Mass/Sept. Fury engines were pretty much the pinnacle of R-3350 development. Dreadnought has shown that a 4360 while fast and dependable, is not fast enough to compete with the Bear or a running merlin. Is there someone out there that knows how to get more out of a corncob?
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I think Mike is an Excitable Fellow. I heard him exclaim "I'm going to sell it" (Sept Fury) after he lunched the motor at the start of the 1st race it flew. He'll calm down, I Hope. Having the BEST Merlin guys on your crew would give Dago a Great home for a great Airplane...D.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                              Hmmmm... a Griffon powered Sea Fury?
                              Seriously, besides rebuilding what he has are there any options? I thought the Bear/Critical Mass/Sept. Fury engines were pretty much the pinnacle of R-3350 development. Dreadnought has shown that a 4360 while fast and dependable, is not fast enough to compete with the Bear or a running merlin. Is there someone out there that knows how to get more out of a corncob?
                              There was an interview with Brian Sanders on either AAFO or P1 (my mind's going, I can't keep things straight anymore but hey, since the sites are merged I don't have to) In that interview, he made it sound like Dreadnought's engine isn't really all that far from a stock Globemaster engine- a factory designed blower drive mod to eliminate the losses in the 2-speed system (converts it to a single-speed drive and also strengthens the blower drivetrain). Plus a piston and piston ring package that seals better without seizing and has better oil control. And that yields in the neighborhood of 4000 horspower and does it for years between engine changes. So it certainly sounds like there's a lot more left in a 4360. Add to that the fact that Dreadnought is still a full-up trainer model with a functioning back seat controls and long canopy, so 232 would be (theoretically) faster on the same power output, but I'm guessing that alone wouldn't be enough and there would have to be more power from the engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X