Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley of Speed

The Valley of Speed

Wow, what a week! This will be a year to remember for all Reno air race fans that’s for sure. Great racing on Sunday! Three finals had passes for the lead after several laps of stalking. All three passes for the lead were the same, build up momentum in the Valley of Speed, pull alongside on the outside of the final turn, watch your advantage slip away taking the longer outside line as the finish line approaches then do it all over again the next lap. Now that I think about it the passes happened in different spots but all began at turn one. The Rare Bear just muscled her way past September Fury on the outside pulling the pass off at the finish line. I was sitting in section 3. On a race prior and I forget which one the pass occurred at the end of the Valley of Speed. The pilot was finally, after several laps of trying, able to pull in front and take the preferred racing line away from the leader before banking into the final turn. A perfect pass! How come I never heard anyone refer to the back chute as the Valley of Speed before? Some fan in front of me explained to me there was a 500’vertical drop out there hence its name! Now that was air racing at it’s finest!!

I was shocked to read in aafo once I returned to base camp (Reno), of Rare Bear’s throttle problem. I recall seeing it’s landing gear down flying northwest on final approach while I was running to my truck in lot 7! I just thought, wow Johns been up there for awhile, must be taking a long victory “orbit” enjoying the moment! At that point I was in my own race to beat the traffic so didn’t give it anymore energy. Cutting the mags and leaning the engine out before dead sticking her to a safe stop on the ground…wow, good stuff but I’m sure John could have done without it! Great to see him back in the seat of Rare Bear by the way. I just feel like he knows the plan better than anyone and can get the most out of her on any given day. I don’t know if it was by design or not but good strategy by the team if it was. I’m talking about not pushing the motor until Sunday. Just get her in the big show then open her up! Remember a few years ago when we had that 500mph club battle on Friday or was it Saturday. Everyone throttled back on Sunday in an attempt to see the finish line! I was pleasantly surprised to see that Rare Bear had something more in her on race day this year! I had talked to one of the crew on Friday and was informed that they only had 70% of the manifold pressure and still were able to get to 450mph. Does anyone know the mechanicals on Sept. Fury and on what lap it started?

I had the pleasure of talking to one of the Gold Unlimited pilots about taking risks. He told me his testicles were not as big as they used to be, that he had nothing to prove and didn’t know how many races he had left. I’m not a pilot but I am a racer and completely understand this sentiment. I told him I just turned 52 and had raced my first motocross in 32 years. Why you ask would you do a foolish thing like that to which I reply because I still can, if I wait another 32 years I’ll probably be dead! Some people like speed, like to push the limits of themselves and their equipment. We know the risks and accept the consequences! Our mothers hate it, that I can tell you for sure which brings up another good point. It is selfish to take these risks perhaps even irresponsible but like I said, some of us are just wired for speed and competition and that’s that! I shook his hand and told him good luck and have fun!

I attended the movie premier, “Thunder Over Reno” last night. I’m glad it was free! The writing and acting was horrible but the footage of the flying was great! The sound of 3000hp was good too but there were a few scenes where the background noise made it impossible to hear the dialog. Kind of hard to follow the story line no matter how bad when you can’t decipher the words. I was disappointed. Ok, Rare Bear won, nobody crashed…two out of three ain’t bad!

Will the liquid cooled V12's ever be back in the 475-500 club? Heard the Merlin mechanical guru checked out! Didn't he pass on his secrets to anyone?

Cheers,
    Hans

Re: Valley of Speed

The "Valley of Speed" I think was a Sandy Sanders line from his announcer days from the 70's thru the late 80's.
    AS for My favorite inline racer's (most which have perrished) or
    finances have perrished , Dwight Thorn is retired to my understanding.
    Sadly Dago and Strega have suffered completely in his absense.
    There is another good inline race engine builder who I don't know
    if he is still alive. Jack Hovey has done motors as far back as
    1972 (my first year!) for pilots like Bob Love and many more.
    I believe he did Voodoo's motor as recent as 1998-2000? It was
    the year Skip went up after the Gold to try an early attempt at
    the 500mph lap and broke his motor on takeoff. Voodo came in
    in second that year and Jack Hovey said "Well at least we held
    together all week." The other "big" inline is the Griffon on Precious
    Metal. Think of this , ALL the competitive radials are not running
    the motors that came with thier planes. They are all BIG motor
    transplants! How many inlines are doing that?!?! ONE just ONE!
    The Griffon. Its a 2240 cu in. comparred with the merlins 1650 cu in.
    These motors were used in England on the Shakelton's untill 1983.
    They are much cheaper and easyer to find parts for. Unfortunately
    The griffon out there now is being treated as if some circus novelty
    loafing around the pilons at 360mph to give the crowd a few yuk's.
    In 1988 when the original owner made his debue with it he qualified
    at 453mph! which was one mph more than Stregas record the year
    before. The griffon had shorter wings and a MUCH more profilled
    scoop on it and was all metal! you should have seen it. I thought
    I was seeing the gohst of my other favorite griffon the Red Baron.
    I wish the Red Baron and Tsunami (Merlin) were still here. THEN
    you would see more out there than a bunch of Sea Fury's with
    3350's going around and around. But I have been told thats the most
    cost effective way to get into unlimited air racing. -G-

Comment

i just fear that our only hope for us in the v-12 crowd,might be the return of dago.
      i am by now way knocking strega or the crew! but it seems that tiger has a engine gremlin in his pits the last few times.

help us dago and strega you are our only hopes
      www.renosection3.com

Comment

I wouldn't say their your only hope.

Comment

Thanks guys for your input. I was attending UNR back when the Red Baron was the hot plane. Hmm, didn't realize it was driven by a Griffin. So what makes Dego Red tick? If the parts are easier to come by then why aren't more Griffins in use?

I hear what you're saying about Strega. One of the crew members told me the engine in the airframe was put together from the parts of three engines! A crew member of Voodoo told me they refer to their engine as eclectic!! I don't like what's going on in the inline camp....not a good sign...not a good trend!! What happened to Voodoo?

Comment

well i didnt mean and disrespect from voodoo or cloud dancer for sure.
            or any other mustangs for that fact
            i was more or less talking about the inlines that have come really close to 500
            it just seems like all the inlines break before they really get started in gold
            *dreaming*

(Dago, Strega, Cloud dancer ,and Voodoo in the gold........hawwww yes)
            sorry i was in la la land for a sec
            www.renosection3.com

Comment

I think he was talking about Galloping Ghost being set up for next year!!

Comment

It's too bad nobody saved a Supermarine Spiteful, 494 mph with a Griffon 101 and a 5 blade Rotol.

Comment

the spitefuls were all scrapped, plus supermarine only built 4 or 5 of them, the first 2 were spitfire XIV fuselages with a modified tail and the new wing. the last 2 or 3 were actual pre production versions but one was lost in testing, and the others were broken up for scrap at the end of their lives.
                  race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Very few Griffons were built with 2-speed 2-stage Superchargers (the Firefly and late Spits had one), very few Allisons had them (the P-82 had 2), and that's only PART of the Parts that you need and THAT'S Part of the Mystery in the Aire!..D.

Comment

Working...
                    X