X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O Canada!

Two words:

Snowbirds rock!

For yet another race weekend, the Canadian Snowbirds performed beautifully. My sincere salute to our great neighbors from the north. Reno is definitely better when the Snowbirds are in town.

Re: O Canada!

I really enjoyed them even though I was on the bus heading to pylon 8 when the took the course, the whole bus was in a uproar

They came out and watched a few races also so that was cool

Comment

That was awesome when they all took a lap around the unlimited course. Pretty cool, I have never seen that before...

And for those that are gonna ask, their lap speed was "somewhere" around 333...

WRL

Comment

Was I hallucinating, or did I see all nine Snowbird ships run the pylons after their routine was done? I was out of announcer range, but we were tickled pink....

1) Did this actually happen?

2) Anyone get a time/speed?

3) Is the CT-114 elligible under the new Jet class rules?

-Mosquito

EDIT: ANSWERED! Posting synchronicity... thx Wilnit for the info! Still need an answer to #3 tho...

Comment

Snowbird action is awesome, but as a race fan I wish their routine wasn't approaching the 1 hour mark!
          _________
          -Matt
          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

The Snowbirds were good, but need to move up into an F-18. The snowbird scheme would look great. They definitely need something to speed things up.

Comment

yeow! 9-plane aerobatic formations in Hornets might be a WEEEE bit difficult to pull off repeatedly and successfully. Just maintaining the Blue's 6-plane delta must be difficult enough...

If the Snowbirds switched to F-18s, then they might have to alter their famous mega-plane formations to something more Blue Angel/T-Bird like. I wouldn't care for that.

It's the slower, straight-winged Tudors they use now that allow them to bunch up so many aircraft together and still have sufficent control to maintain safe flight. Things happen a little slower, so you get at least a little bit more time to react.

I don't want to see them change that drastically. It would take away much of what makes the snowbirds so unique and enjoyable to me. I've been watching them since my first trip to the Reno Air Races in '81, and to this day I feel the RAR isn't the RAR without the Snowbirds and at least ONE of the U.S. military teams peforming.

Hey, I'm spoiled...

Instead:

Canada flies the CT-155 Hawk as their primary jet trainer these days, and I think that's the plane they are moving to next.

Check out this site on the topic, complete with picture of Hawks sporting the Snowbird paint. Looks like it could happen if they can get their act together (is the Canadian government as screwed up with budgets as the U.S.? God, I hope not.)

LINK

Comment

I must tip my hat to the Snowbirds, they are way cool. And pretty nice to boot, I like how they came over to the people. They shook hands and traded high fives with the fans...so cool.

Lonnie

Comment

my first time seeing the snowbird fly, and i think they did a great job. they really played it for the crowd, like the time the crew on the ramp wore Section3 t-shirts before the 'bird taxied out. the pilots walked around and handed out goodies afterwards, and my dad got a snowbirds pin. that was pretty cool! i got some pictures too, i'll see about posting some later.

Comment

Someone should get them Rookie Jet class Cards
                    Think they would really like the thought

Comment

Anyone have vedio of them flying the course?

I would have loved to seen that!

Only the Snow Birds can top that one.

I dont think the Blues, or the T Birds would ever think of doing such a thing. Simply because it is out (way out) of thier rootine.

Wolfee

Comment

my wife (a first timer to Reno) REALLY liked the snowbirds.
                        I have always liked their show.

does anyone else think the HAWK (ct-155) looks a bit like the L-39???

Comment

As a Canadian, I'm happy to hear that you all enjoy the Snowbirds. It's a very different show than the US jets, but we're proud of them, and I love seeing them come to Reno. I always enjoy sitting next to someone who hasn't seen the show before
                          The turn around the pylons was pretty cool too.
                          Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by dineega
                            As a Canadian, I'm happy to hear that you all enjoy the Snowbirds. It's a very different show than the US jets, but we're proud of them, and I love seeing them come to Reno...
                            Rachel
                            I travel a fair amount into Canada and that's by choice. I've always been treated well there and I'm looking forward to my next visit in just a few weeks.

Comment

What can we say.. Even by day three I see the big strong men up in our section covertly wiping the tears from their eyes was the Snow Birds begin their routine. Yeah our guys rock and roll and blast us out of our seats with very, very loud music. The Snow Birds are a fine wine, ballet, something to sit back and enjoy, savor. Which we do every show!! They let us relax and get ready for the next extreme show. Thank God for Digital Cameras and the cost saved on Developing All those thousands of shots we just can not resist! Oh Yeah!!!!
                              What part of 'Air Race FAN-atic' do you not understand?
                              Like the chips - You can't attend just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X