airrace.org connection issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airrace.org connection issues

The hosting provider for the airrace.org Web site, OLM.net in Connecticut, started having connectivity issues at about noon Reno time Saturday. Since that time, we have not been able to access the server hosting airrace.org.

We have been assured by our hosting provider that they are aware of, and are working to resolve the issue, but as of 6 AM Reno time this morning, connectivity has not been restored.

While this sort of problem occurring during Race Week is always a concern, it is especially problematic this year as it interferes with our ability to share race results and communicate with those who are checking the status of the event after the flight incidents earlier this week.

We had a great day of racing and flying Saturday, and as of Saturday evening, a normal day of racing was planned for Sunday as per our previously published schedule.

We apologize for the inconvenience the interruption of access to the airrace.org Web site is causing, and we are already planning steps to ensure this sort of thing does not affect us in the future. However, those plans will not remedy the current situation.

I am still hoping that access will be restored any moment, but have no assurances from our hosting provider except, "We are working on it." Again, apologies for this intolerably long loss of service.

Regards,

Mark Johnston
    RARA Webmaster

Re: airrace.org connection issues

Thanks for coming out and letting us all know what's up there at airrace.org MarkJ...

The only thing I can say is..... "Wayne, You ARE the Man!!! " You've had things have happened before but other than a few hours at END of Sundays activities (everyone trying to see who won)... AAFO.com stays up through race week and provides the info and the freedom (with moderation) to say what we feel; and talk about what we've "seen" in air racing and other things (off topics) in our lives...
    Thanks Bro for being there for us all.

(Special note to RARA- No offense to MarkJ on what sometimes happens to servers as I am a compgeek for a living too..just pointing out the obvious to our boy Wayne. )
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Thanks Mark for letting us know what happend.

I have not checked yet today, but I hope they get er fixed soon.

Wolfee

Comment

Coming up on 24 hours without service.Looks to me like RARA should look for a new service provider.This sucks for the folks that are not able to be at Reno.We live in an age of instant information.Next year Wayner should have it set up with someone and a land line for instant results.
        We'd have better luck!

B2

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to fill us in on what's going on with the site Mark. Best of luck with getting her back online - we know you are doing all you can, and that is all anyone can ask.

For those who wish to get some more incite as to what predicated the outage... just got to http://forums.olm.net/showthread.php?t=1459 . It's pretty apparent that this issue was and still is totally outside of the control of MarkJ and RARA.
          Mark K....

Comment

Wayne and company did that for a couple of years out of AAR hanger. It proved to be just too much work, along with everything ells they do throught the week.
            They were pulling all nighters, didnt get to see much of the races, and were totaly wipped out by the end of the week. And that was with 3 of them sharing the duties of reporting the days events.

While I agree it would be great for us at home. It would totaly suck for them at the show. And I dont blame them for not wanting to kill themselvs. It is a very long week as it is, withought the headach of keeping the forums upto date after each race.

Wolfee

Comment

Wolfee-

Didn't want to give the impression that what info we get is not appreciated.The site and work all do for us is great.What I meant is sombody simply call one of us unlucky dogs with the race results and we'll post it here for all to see.Nothing fancy ,just who finished where in what race.

B2

Comment

Its back up.

Mike

Comment

On airrace.org you can get some of the results by selecting Race Results. Not the same as query mode which is still out.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

BKB,

I didnt take it wrong, just letting you know the past, and how hard it was on them.

I did offer to give my phone number out to get results. Michell from Canada offered, but I am not willing to pay the money for a LD call just to get results. (thanks again Michell!).

She was the only one that made the offer. Oh well, guess we are stuck here waiting... and waiting... and waiting some more.

Comment

Originally posted by BKB
                      Wolfee-

Didn't want to give the impression that what info we get is not appreciated.The site and work all do for us is great.What I meant is sombody simply call one of us unlucky dogs with the race results and we'll post it here for all to see.Nothing fancy ,just who finished where in what race.

B2
                      Every year, I toy with the idea of trying to get a couple of journalisim "interns" from UNR... It'd be a really good experience for them, running a "live" news desk.

Phone in the action right after it happens.. we ALWAYS have time between races.. our "results" would not always be accurate from out there, because it's difficult to know what really happend.. pylon cuts, who crossed the line first (hard to see from pylons)..

But we could phone in what we see and, as does a local reporter, get hooked via these little laptop cards and upload images for the "interns" to play with...

I suppose, we're "somewhat" in competition with the RARA site.. it's all about traffic.. This site does a LOT better monitarily during the race week than any other time during the year.. simply numbers..

We've never really been about producing the "stats" that, in my opinion, is RARA's job.. they are the "sanctioning body" we're the news site..

I'd like to think that we could compliment each other with our efforts as the years move ahead and technology advances..

We're continually seeking sponsors.. have yet to find a major one. One of these days though, if enough $$ came in, we could try, once again to do the "instant" report thing..

Right now, digging through about 150 messages and signups to ensure all are OK and no SPAM or other "stuff" gets in..

Have a little report before I pass out here, I hope..

Bottom line today, for the top of the heap, Bear won.. probably could not have flown another lap.. Mike Brown broke trying to catch the bear..

A more amazing race, you'd have to go a long way back to find!

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                      X