The Fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fence

Well, it's been one hell of a week, but we want to do our part in honoring our lost friends as much as they would honor us had our roles been reversed. We will keep goin' on out and living our passion for the races.

A little more "good" news was delivered to some of us fenceliners today, we have finally been displaced. Word has spread of our spots and people have come out there in force this year. This always creates problems and finally the law has had to step in. There are a lot of devoted fans out on the fence who do our part supporting the event by going "inside" and buying all the swag and seats and passes during the day. Well one person has doomed us all out there and NOBODY is allowed out there any more unless you own the property.

So I'm taking up the cause us asking if there is anybody who has a spot on the fence for a couple of displaced fenceliners. Just a couple good folks who respect the fence and would like to go on saluting our friends that race, from the spot we have for... well, forever now. Anyone? Anyone?
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Re: The Fence

I feel the pain. I live in Reno spend time in the stands and the pits. I buy the Swag. The Fence has always been there/valley of speed. I am saddened that someone has screwed this for us as well.

Comment

And yet another reason why this subject shouldnt be talked about openly.

It sucks that it has happend, and I feel the pain.

Wolfee

Comment

great one moron messing things up... i was hoping to go there tomarrow
        www.renosection3.com

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee

Wolfee

That really sucks but you know Wolfee with all the Youtube videos from out there someone was bound to crash the party.

Comment

My other thought about this fence is, maybe with the "unsafe sport" that we have been watching and the increased accidents this year they just want to push people back in to the stands.

Comment

The majority of the fenceline area was blocked off last year for the entire races for the first time I could remember since 1981, and I figured it would be the same this year. It had more to do with issues with the landowner and problems with some irresponsble fans than anything to do with RARA, if I recall. We discussed it last year.

A shame, for there is no better place to view the races close-up, short of being one of the few lucky ones who get to go out to the pylons.

At least I have my memories and video clips taken from that location.

Comment

I talked with the landowner last year...he had the property for sale then and was getting plenty of heat from the neighbors because of the MX bike noise and dust.

He told me that the day he put the barriers up, a guy and his family showed up to camp out...Wifey and the kids were in the Winnebago, towing the Bikes and Quads...Dad was driving his Dump Truck, towing his Backhoe!...Just to do a "Little Terrain Management" to make "The Ridin' more fun for the kids"

I couldn't believe how outta hand the dust and noise got on Sunday 2005...too many dogs unhappy out there too.

What are these guys thinking?

Too bad Common Sense isn't common these days...

Comment

I admit, I had 25 years of spectating at the VOS.

I see the community billboard out there now says: "No Air Race traffic. Residents and guests only." I witnessed the Sherriff erradicating the spectators along a section of fenceline. What a shame. We witnessed so much Air Racing history from there...

I can understand the landowners concerns, and just accept that I had those 25 yrs of our sport of choice...

Like everything, things change.

There are still very limited viewing locations out there, but by and large... that fenceline action is only going to be available to a very, very short list of people...

Oh well, turn it into a positive thing, like camp at the optimist's RV lot and walk into the pits several times a day... Catching the whole show is great, It's not the fenceline, but that's gone, let it go!.

"No Air Race Traffic" , coned off steets, uncompassionate signs. What a pity!

Comment

It's getting full now but, you can still be north of Lemmon Valley Dr. right next to pylon 6. I was out there Friday to visit(party) with John & Marlene Cook as they are veteran fenceliners and we always have a great time out there. Great to see you guys again!

Today was mostly in the pits getting swag, of course. And.......

I got the extreme please of meeting Jimmy & Ryan Leeward! Thanks for the excellent hospitality and congrats on the Bronze win today.

Gettin' late will post pix l8tr...

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee

Wolfee
                      And SO many people write me hate mail and have zero understanding of the issue...

And YES, Speedy.. who showed me out there the first time I saw it... I count you in that group..

Sorry, crying in my beer a bit here but..

Anyone have any idea of how it makes somebody feel when they try to "keep the peace"..

And all they get is a wagon load of crap?

The VOS got talked about WAY too much... Way too much traffic was the result.. SOMETHING had to happen.. well, it did.

Out of respect to RARA's wishes to keep a lid on that area, and our own knowledge that "too much information" would kill a long standing tradition, we tried to kill anything related to the subject.

I'd have killed this one, had I seen it before it flourished to the level it is now.. By leaving it up, I'd guess the end effect would be better than removing it.

Next time some of you feel like bitching about the "management" TRY to think that maybe, we have GOOD intentions and are trying to do the right thing..

End of rant.. I'm trying to be completely 100% positive in my reactions to what goes on with this board..

Just broke my new rule, a bit, but I feel that what I just said, needed to be said..

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Forced out of the Pylon2-3 area in 85, off of Cheapskate Hill in 89, camped at Pylon 6, Dohrnstauders, and then Christys' fenceline spots till a few years ago. Always paid my way in for several days each year and bought the swag. The potential is always there for the land owners to get tired of it all or for the liablility issues to take over. The hill started with a few tent and shell campers and ended up with dozens of Winnebagos. Too much of a good thing, sigh. Best part of it is still having all of the videos! Lefty and Skip giving free haircuts!

Comment

I've been visiting out there for several years, always 1 or 2 afternoons. When I went out this year I saw kids riding around on ATV's, people parking wherever on the property I was at, and trash thrown down. The people I was visiting were self-contained and being as clean as possible and leaving a small footprint. Others I saw were not.
                          It's too bad that a few have to ruin it for all, but there are a those out there that just USE the land. If I owned a parcel I would probably close it off to all but those I select just to keep from having to deal with the remains.
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                            I've been visiting out there for several years, always 1 or 2 afternoons. When I went out this year I saw kids riding around on ATV's, people parking wherever on the property I was at, and trash thrown down. The people I was visiting were self-contained and being as clean as possible and leaving a small footprint. Others I saw were not.
                            It's too bad that a few have to ruin it for all, but there are a those out there that just USE the land. If I owned a parcel I would probably close it off to all but those I select just to keep from having to deal with the remains.
                            Hey Leo,

Great to finally meet up with you this year, you're a walking encyclopedia of Air Racing experience. We got the word from the WSD and were the first to cinch everything up in our tarps and vacate. It was hard to do but we made the best of it.

The people we met this year and past, who live in Silver Knolls are just great people, they took us in as guest's and opened their homes and families to us. I consider this years races a privelidge. We, like most of you, contribute to this event on all counts, bought shirts from several teams and my 5th Red Baron shirt from Chuck (great to have one in red), as well as programs, posters,etc.

From a photographers POV, the fence is great, but it's only part of the overall experience. To have shooting from several different area's makes for a great portfolio and tells the story from a true "fan's" perspective.

With all the ATV's, kid's, pet's and such, i'm glad to see no one was hurt and no fires were started. I think 99% of the fence crowd are there in support of this event and many may not think before putting stakes in the ground. It may be that 1% that have driven the final nail.

I too have all the memories and will til i'm done in. The wife and i are talking about doing the RV lot next year to see what's up over there, sounds like a real fellowship and i look forward to it.

Looking forward to seeing you and your son again

Anthony and Lana
                            "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

You will!
                              The Soroptimist RV lot is where we used to stay, for 20 years. had the same spot each year. There are others now. You get to know your neighbors, talk planes and racing, etc. We always had a good time with it, even tho your back to the stands view.
                              If you go that route let me know and we'll hook up and share some stand or ramp space!
                              Enjoyed meeting you and yours this year (finally) and the chance to take a few great photo's!
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X