Question about Mike Mangold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Mike Mangold

I know that Reno's on everyone's minds, but I was hoping someone could help me out.

At the last Red Bull Air Race, televised from Reno, the announcers made a statement that Mangold's airplane was brand new, had been finished over the winter months, and had received some aerodynamic and motor assistance from a prominent NASCAR team and a prominent NHRA team.

No mention of names from either sport. That got my curiosity rolling.

Does anyone know who may have assisted Mike on this new plane?

What's really kind of ironic is that Mangold's "old" airplane won this race!

Thanks

Vince

Mike Mangold Airplane

Just back from the races. If my memory is correct the airplane is a version of the Extra 300 called SHP. The plane has a motor built by Lycoming it's called the thunderbolt. Here are some pictures that I took. Enjoy

T.J.
    Last edited by airtj; 06-21-2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Re: Question about Mike Mangold

If his sponsor had anything to do with it, methinks John Force would be the easy answer from the drag racing side..........beyond that, I got no clue.

Comment

Re: Mike Mangold Airplane

Originally posted by airtj
        Just back from the races. If my memory is correct the airplane is a version of the Extra 300 called SHP. The plane has a motor built by Lycoming it's called the thunderbolt.
        All true about the plane in the pictures, but that's Mike Goulian's plane, not Mike Mangold's.

Mike Mangold was on the entry list to fly Storm (Sport 32), but I'd heard he didn't make it to Reno.

-Zandr

Comment

Re: Question about Mike Mangold

That's Michael Goulian's Extra 300SHP sponsored by Castrol Aviator that he uses for airshows. He flies an Edge 540 in RBAR sponsored by Castrol.
          Michael Goulian; American Aviator, Air Show Performer, Red Bull Air Race Pilot

Mangold flies an all white Edge 540.
          John Smutny

Comment

Working...
          X