Friday IF1 Tragedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday IF1 Tragedy

My friend called me from our box while I was at Scolari's.

A midair during a F1 Class race, one pilot reported to leave his wrecked plane, don't know about the second.

Prayers out for pilots

Wayne, if this is wrong...delete.

Don
    Last edited by hattend; 09-14-2007, 09:41 AM. Reason: Correction from link

Re: Just heard...another plane down

Comment

Sadly, true.. At approx 9:30 this morning there was, indeed, a mid-air involving two formula one aircraft.

Condition of pilots is not officially known at this point.. AAFO reporter Naomi West is at the press area awaiting the briefing. We will post her notes as soon as she calls them in.

Please, be careful about posting RGJ links as they have, in the past, released names prior to official announcement by RARA.

Very sad week...

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

When is the press conference? I really would like some details as soon as they are available as something like this in F1 hits close to home for me and being away and not knowing what happened is really frustrating.

So please, as soon as there is an official press conference I would really appreciate it if someone could post what happened and who was inolved.

Thanks and sending my thoughts out to everyone affected,

Michele

Comment

one tv station is now reporting that three aircraft were involved.
          bob burns
          ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
          "dont mess with texas"

Comment

RARA has officially released as many details as they can and the names of those involved.

Sadly, Gary Hubler has lost his life. His family are here and have been notified. Our prayers go out to them and those who knew Gary.

Jason Somes was flying the other accident aircraft and has been transported to the hospital with non-life threatening back injuries.

Two pylon judges were slightly injured, one refused treatment, the other has been treated and released for a sprained ankle.

The races will stand down for today, racing will likely continue in compressed format on Saturday and Sunday...

This report was phoned into us by a very emotional Naomi "GriffonGirl" West..

Wayne Sagar
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wow. I'm bummed. My heart goes out to all involved.
              Red
              chanting...400+

Comment

Hard to believe again. Blue Skies Forever Gary. Prayers to family & friends.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Race control told us that all racing was suspended for the day and that a meeting of all pilots was to be held this afternoon. The airshow acts would continue to perform.

Comment

For the first time ever, I am glad I'm not there this year.

This has been an especialy hard year for air racing in general. But my father and I are beside ourselfs with the loss of today.

Blue skies Gary.
                    may your legacy live on with those you have touched.

My only prayer is that we have a safe year from here on out, and not have any more incidents.

Comment

I know how wolfee feels,
                      this is the first year in 28 years that I am not there, and I am starting to feel the same way. I am starting to feel like I may not go back.

my prayers to all the family and friends of those we have lost.
                      bob burns
                      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

To the family and friends - my heart goes out to you all.
                        Mike S
                        www.indyairshow.com
                        www.indytransponder.com

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3
                          I know how wolfee feels,
                          this is the first year in 28 years that I am not there, and I am starting to feel the same way. I am starting to feel like I may not go back.

Tow.. I totally understand the feeling.. but read this.. http://aafo.com/racing/news/99/reno.htm

Was a long time ago and we've been essentially safe for many years...

Unless it is decided that the sport is just too dangerous to continue.. (hopefully this will not be the case) then we really owe it to the pilots who have passed to continue.

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by tow-3
                            I know how wolfee feels,

My first year was 1978. I had not missed a year, until this year.

Every pilot that has lost his life at Reno, or any air race, has seen men lost before them. And, they came back to compete. Competition, or just pure love of the sport, or yet the greatest love, flying. What ever the reason. I won't miss next year, because it is the GREATEST sport in the world.

Steve Carter

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee
                              For the first time ever, I am glad I'm not there this year.

Me too. I just couldn't motivate myself to buy the plane ticket and I had wanted to go all year. I blew a fortune on my German vacation last month, so that's why I'm not going. I've been tortured sick about not going this week, but perhaps it's for the best. The week isn't even done yet, I look forward to it ending.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X