Sundy Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundy Update

Well sorry guys and girls, no pictures here but I will relay what i saw.

Fury went up, did some slow laps and came back down. Strega did not fly, and the crew is keeping quiet, sneaky sandbaggers. Miss America looks good back in her proper place, back at the races. Bear sounded really good, but did not go up as expected. Sounded very good though, cleaner than i have ever heard and I have been going since I was 7 or so. Overall great time, some new stangs, some new bearcats ( i counted 2 new ones plus Howards and of course the bear)....wooohooo, going to be a great week. LOL, felt like kind of a dork given i was the only one out there without a camera, but what can you do.

On a side note, good to meet both Wayne and GriffonGirl.

I will be out all week and love talking air races. Also if night time beers are in order, do not hold out and drop me a line.

Re: Sundy Update

THANKS for the update. It is appreciated.
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Bear did go later, and turned a couple of nice laps. Sounded great too!

Comment

Sweet.... Can't wait to get there. Thanks for the updates. Mabey we will try to come down for qualifying next year so I can give you guys some updates. Hopefully Circus Cirus's internet access isn't too expensive so I can log on when we get there on Thurs. morning.
        My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Arrrrrrrrrr, dang it, I missed the bear fly? bummer, more for my 7 year old who just comes out Sunday and Sunday, and oviously he did not get to see her fly last year on gold day. Good to hear they ran good.

Comment

Yeap, Bear flew and sounded great

Comment

Well, I got a bunch of pics, but I'm having hardware issues. Sorry. Gonna try a different route for uploading tomorrow. Bear sounds really nice. 232 looks unbeatable with the new wing and Kerch looking as calm and happy as I've ever seen him. A moment of concern as it took a little doing to get the gear down after running a few laps. They got it down and had it back in the air 20 min. later. Steadfast sounds and looks fantastic (nice work fellas ) Relentless is in the same boat, . Great to see Merlin's Magic. Almost like nothin' ever happened. Was trying to talk the Glacier Girl guys into rounding the sticks. Think telling them Air Bisciut can kick their ass would light a fire under them? The haze is still horrible, but the temps on the ramp are in the mid 80's.

All in all, pretty nice day. Nice to meet you and your boys Dave. When are the rest of you getting here?

Fence
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Wow, what i get for leaving early.....missed all the action.

Fence, good to meet you too, sorry, i forgot your signon in my earlier post First beer is on me for my rudeness.

Comment

So the haze isn't so bad enough that they can't fly right??

Comment

Originally posted by DWYER
                    So the haze isn't so bad enough that they can't fly right??
                    Yea its bad, but not that bad. It was even clearing out a bit this evening.

Comment

So far I've gotten to meet Stevo and Shawn, but that was well before the races...

If you see me, say hi...

Lonnie

That's a lie, I met Wayne 2 years ago at PRS.

Hey Wayne...where are you hiding?

Photo update coming soon...

Comment

Sorry to be so late with this Bear Report for Sunday. The wi-fi here in the west RV lot is flakey and I couldn't get connected last night, but its free, I don't know who's supplying it, so I'm not going to complain.

A quick aside, the haze is a layer of brown schmootz going up to about 20 or 30 degrees above the horizon, in all directions. It reminds me of the dome over Las Vegas when coming over the hill on I-15. It washes out the hills in the distance, but the local visiblity is just fine. Looking out the windo this morning, it's pretty much all gone.

Yesterday morning I had a quick chat with a couple of the bear crew in the cave. Saturday, during the runup, they found a couple of loose intake manifolds so they decided to pull them all and re-set them. A small job on a big engine is still a big job after all, they got out for a runup later in the morning (they had the cowl panels with them) and pulled Bear back to the cave. Not too sure what that was about, but by early afternoon I saw some safety wire going on and by mid afternoon the cowl was going on.

They pulled out to the flight line, aiming her out (tha means no runup) and fired her up, too late for the UL practice session, but launched during the jet session. John ran a few laps after the jets were done, looks like they held the safety trucks which were on the way in.

I don't think he layed down too much horsepower, but he looked very good around the coarse.

The big kicker was when he rolled up to the flight line and debriefed a bit, there were handshakes all around the pit crew. I later asked at the Cave and apparently John was a very happy man. They just had about 3 hours of maintenance items, (hey, it's The Bear !) and the Bear Crew would be getting a good night's sleep.

Mr. Brown, lock up your daughters, the Big Bad BEAR is back in town!

Cheers
                        Gerry
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to all for the updates from Reno. I really appreciate the time you guys take to fire off some quick emails when you could be out and about. What a bummer it is to have to read about rather than being there in person. Next year damnit!

Comment

Well.... you have a year to make it happen. GET ER' DUN'
                            and bring a friend or two.

Comment

Damn skippy! It was easy when I was at Travis. Was able to go 4 years in a row until I got my assignment over here. My cousin will be there to carry on the tradition tho!

Comment

Working...
                              X