Glacier Girl Flies - Rod Lewis Pilot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glacier Girl Flies - Rod Lewis Pilot!

Dunno.. go ahead and color me biased.. Since Rare Bear's owner Rod Lewis and I are members of a very exclusive club which no one wants to be a member of.. ( we both survived the same cancer within months of each other).. I sort of feel a kinship with him..

Today, he flew his Glacier Girl for the third time here at Reno..

Rod's not just a warbird owner, race plane owner. Rod Lewis is a pilot of many hours who lives to fly! He didn't take the same pain meds that I did during his treatment.. he wanted to FLY! The meds would have kept him from it!

I'm in serious admiration of this "new guy on the scene" who owns Rare Bear and Glacier Girl!

When he took off, I turned and said to Steve Hinton.. "It's great to see him flying her".. Steve smiled BROADLY and said "yes, it is!"

I've got other photos but if I play with them, I'll never get any sleep. I thought this was pretty much the most meaningful moment of the day, at least for me but hey.. I drove all day and didn't get here till bout three..

PS.. he flew 'er slick! Clean take off, very smooth landing!
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Glacier Girl Flies - Rod Lewis Pilot!

Wayne,
    Is GG going to be doing any flights during the week? Can people photograph her and see her up close in the pits?

Comment

She's parked next to The Bear and will be doing some Heritage Flights.
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Saaaaawweeeeeeeet!

Thanks
        its just not the same with out a p-38 at the races anymore.

Comment

Very sweet indeed.

But I missed it, I left Stead at about 4PM or so. So much to do and so little time.

Lonnie

Comment

Excellent shot Wayne
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust
            Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Awesome shot Wayne! She looked great in the air

Comment

Beautiful shot Wayne. Glad to see Mr. Lewis is making the most of his ownership. I'm still hoping he takes her for a lap or two around the pylons..wouldn't that be cool?

Guess I'll have to buy a pit pass again this year; no way I'm gonna miss a chance to get some pics of GG.
                Mark Johnson
                Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Nice! Isn't this the first time anyone other than Steve Hinton has flown GG since the rebuild?

Comment

Mike,

As far as I know, you would be absolutely correct. When she was owned by Roy Schoffner, the way I understood it, was that the insurance wouldn't allow anyone else but Steve to fly her.

I watched Mr. Lewis fly his first airshow in Galveston this year, in the TF. He flew very smooth and looked great doing it. Gorgeous airplane too!

Comment

Working...
                    X