RIP Pylon Bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Pylon Bar?

Be prepared for a shock at the Grand Sierra (formerly Hilton) this year, home-away-from-home for much of the air race community over the next 10 days. In the Reno paper today:

"A new country bar opens at the Grand Sierra Resort today, featuring a mix of live country bands and DJs"

"The new Mustangs [!] Dance Hall and Saloon opens in the former space of the Pylon Bar, next to the sports book and Johnny Rockets."

It may still work as a meeting place, but it just won't be the same without the aviation theme (and the massive mural?).

Re: RIP Pylon Bar?

I heard they were just moving the Pylon bar.

Comment

Unbelievable/.

When I was there for PRS they said they were deleting it (Pylon Bar), maybe putting it back in when the new section opens where that big parking lot is just in front of the Pylon Bar.

I can't even think about this or I will be pissed off all day.
      Tom Johnson,
      Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
      www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

The Pylon Bar will go down in history as one of the best drinking establishments filled with some of the best people in the world. At least the people will still be around!

Farewell Pylon Bar!!

FBK

Comment

I heard most people are moving to the Silver Legacy downtown. This is one of the reasons.

John

Comment

I truly fear for the Reno air races. This will be the second year in a row that I won't attend as the unliited has become a parade. The death of the pylon bar is yet another indication that the golden years of Reno air racing has passed on.

Please know i want to be proved wrong, I think the change in the jet class and the creation of an "unlimited" sport class keep me hoping that there is a new era of Reno racing. But considering that my usual Reno trip is around 2K and it is currently without a real unlimited class I can't justify the expense.

At this point until something changes I don't expect to be back until I find the right F1 to field and then our program will be biased towards the enjoyment of the team and not to win the event.

Hoping for Reno to find it's way back,

Michele

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl
              the unliited has become a parade. it is currently without a real unlimited class Michele
              Huh???? Perhaps if you were there, you'd be in a better position to judge. If it's a parade, perhaps you'd care to disclose the finishing order for us poor duped attendees. Heading up in about 48 hours.
              Bill Garnett
              InterstellarDust
              Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

I know that most of the planes are gone from the bar. My boss (GSR's owner Tom Schrade) owns the zebra striped S-38 that was at the races last year. I know he is a big supporter of the races so I can only hope he might bring it back at a later time.
                Tony

Comment

...is currently without a real unlimited class I can't justify the expense.

Michele

Rare Bear
                  Sept. Fury
                  Strega
                  Voodoo
                  Drednaught
                  Czech Mate.....etc.

Not a "real" unlimited class???

FBK

Comment

September Fury seems to be there to race and I expect will easily walk away with first.

Rare Bear this year is not there to seriously go for the gold by there own admision.

Strega has a stock motor and again is not there to race to win this year.

Checzmate is nowhere near able to win the event. Fun to watch, beautiful to look at but will never win the gold

Dago sitting in a hangar somewhere.

Critical Mass going back stock.

Furias in pieces and up for sale.

This year will be like the last few years with no real challenge for 1st place. This will be the 3rd year in a row where there isn't much chance of a real race for first place in the gold. The only thing that could change the outcome would be Spetember Fury breaking. With their program that seems unlikely since there isn't anyone there to really push them. If they do break I expect Bear would cruise to the win as even with conservative power settings the Bear would likely walk away from the remaining planes this year. Next year with the Bear a year further into their program or Strega with a real race engine (assuming someone figures out the secret of a race merlin that can hang with the round motors) maybe, but not this year.

There certainly are some things to enjoy about Reno, chances to catch up with people you only see there, a lot of nice planes to look at but it sure isn't what it was once.

I don't want to seem totaly negative. I do think the things that could turn it around and bring me back for the 10 days I used to attend are:

1. unlimited sport class takes off
                    2. new jet class takes off
                    3. the several recent "serious" unlimited programs coming together (September Fury, the new "Bear" effort, Tiger back in the game) keep me hoping that a few more folks with the resources will show up and create a new era of heavy iron racing.

So I'm crossing my fingers for next year, but then again I was crossing my fingers for this year too.....

Michele

(sorry about the poor spelling in the first post, I was trying to post on my small laptop and had lost my reading glasses.... sigh, this getting older thing sometimes has its down side :-) )

Comment

I don't want to seem totaly negative.

Michele
                      Too late.
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I am hardly a "fair weather fan". I have personally sponsored or crewed for 4 F1 racers to the tune of thousands of dollars and untold hours. And I am planning on getting back involved in F1 as an owner at some point in the future. Over the past 18 years I have only missed 4 events counting this one. I've gotten more than a few people to attend the races that would never have considered it and overall have been a supporter of air racing in a very real way for the majority of my life. I think I've earned my right to have an opinon about that state of Reno.

Your position that these other racers are going to "put up a fight" is counter what the racers I mentioned have said themselves. Show me where Tiger said they were there this year to "win", or how any of those other racers are going to find the 50MPH that they have never shown to really run for #1 in the Gold. There are two planes there this year that can run at 500MPH and it isn't clear that one of them is planning to this year. You have a couple more planes that could see 450 or so on a good day and the rest hover at a little over 400. If you like to see a race for 3rd or 4th you might get what you want this year.

At this point unless I am direcly participating there just enough interesting racing going on to make it worth the expense of the trip. For now I'll save the money, put it into the F1 racer fund (Reno ends up costing me over 2K a trip). Maybe something will happen this year that makes me wish I'd gone or maybe next year will bring enough promise to get me back (I'd go for sure if I thought Wildfire was going to make the field just to see it on the course).

For now its stay here in Seattle, keep my fingers crossed and hope nothing serious happens to anyone or any of the planes, keep looking for the right F1 and wait to see if I really did miss out on something this year.

Michele

Comment

Oh, and Wayne, please don't slap him down, he certainly is welcome to share his opinion with me (oh and please don't slap me down either :-) )

Never met a racing fan of any type that didn't have strong opinions about things on occasion.

Michele

Comment

(I'd go for sure if I thought Wildfire was going to make the field just to see it on the course).
                            You say Czech Mate doesn't have a chance, but you think Wildfire would be worth the trip. Seems like logic has flown out the window on this discussion.

I do wish you luck with your IF1 endeavours....

FBK

Comment

Gotta Agree with Spacegrrrl. No competition means only plane lovers Not Racers in the unlimitied class. Sorry. There is a huge difference. Last REAL race was when John and Skip went at it in the cold and Skip tied a hand behind his back (or was it to the foggy windshield?)and cut a pylon so that the Bear could claim victory. Since then. . . . .sigh Too bad 232 wasn't ready for a go at Dago. Oh Yeah, we had to loan them our crew to make a race. Since our boy is parked , we now root for someone, anyone to RACE That is why we donate, and root and follow and hope that RARA can get someone, anyone to fork over$$. Anyone ask Tom Sci FI Cruise to come race? and then market the hell out of it so we can get back on the map? Anyway, sorry for starting to rant. . . I miss my shady spot infront of the Shiny Red Trailer and the bucket Brigade and the days when it was a race and not a show. Hey I know, lets see if we can get 232 to push it to the limit after she takes the gold to see if she can beat our boys Reno Record. I'd pay top $ and invite all my friends to see that.

Dago Dogs RULE

Comment

Working...
                              X