Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rare Bear's 3-blade versus 4-blade. Any input??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear's 3-blade versus 4-blade. Any input??

Has any body listened in or found out what the Bear teams pros and cons of the 3-blade versus the 4-blade. I have some ideas about it, but mostly speculation. I am very interested how the decision is made as to which prop they will run. The Bear always ran wonderful with the 3-blader on, but that is mostly observation from my seat in the stands with "The Over The Hill Gang". What is happening on the course and in the pilots seat is more important. Please. any info would be great.

My heart starts beating again in September.

Re: Rare Bear's 3-blade versus 4-blade. Any input??

I asked that very question a couple of weeks ago. I was told that it is about the torque in the turns. I'll seek further input next time I see Dave. If I understood everything...the 4 blade requires and or needs and or uses less torque in the turns than the 3 blade. And with the shorter, tighter course, the 4 blade gives better results.

On the other hand, the 3 blade prop just sounds and looks so cool, can't help but like it.

Again, the next time I see Dave, I'll inquire further.

Lonnie

Comment

cool that would be great lonnie, ive just gotta say thank you so much for the progress reports on the bears return, its going to be a good year, thanks for all your hard work and may it continue.
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

That is what I thought but I just hadn't talked to anybody that actually knew. It also seems that the 3-blade would do better "Drag Racing" down the valley of speed. But the 4-blade probably accelerates out of the turns a little faster and probably flys a little easier.
        My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

I guess that means they need to add another blade to the 3 blade prop. They are P-3 blades right?

Jarrod

Comment

I thought it was explained to me that the 4 blade "tractored" better in the turns.

I tell you one thing... standing on top of a motorhome in the pits you can FEEL the difference between the 3 and 4.

Tj
            Tom Johnson,
            Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
            www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

I have heard it like this.
              A four bladed prop has more surface area thus it moves alot more air and makes it better under heavy loads like a corner. But that extra blade also produces alot more drag, maybe 25% at a guess.
              A three bladed prop moves less air but can go faster forward because it has alot less drag.

But I like to say that a 4 bladed prop just has more grunt to it

And I am so expecting a major correction to this post

Comment

from what i understand, after working on the bearcat for a few years(back then the four blade was in storage) the three blade prop is heavier than the four blade, you can just imagine that with the amount of horsepower being spent that the torque effect (gyrospopic presession,sic,) the airplane wasn't easy to control. props to lyle and john for doing what 99.9% of us can't even have the first idea of what that would be like. now that they've shortened the couse it makes perfect sense to utilize the (lighter) four blade prop. i think it would be great if rod lewis, dave cornell and crew would set up an attempt to up the 3k record, since it should have been around 545 anyway.

Comment

Personally, as much as the 3 blade beat us up on the ramp and stands....you just have to wonder what it was doing to the airframe it was attached to..........2 cents worth of my thoughts......
                  Went Fast, Forgot to Turn Left, Saw God!

Comment

if you've ever spent much time around an old grumman fighter you realize it's built like the literal brick s***house. the bearcat is no different. the engineering that went into to putting a 3350 on it, and for that matter the engineering that went into the design of the three blade prop is way beyond me and probably most people viewing this thread. dave and bill have had a hard look at that airframe and wouldn't let it fly if it wasn't safe. i'm rooting for the bearcat.

Comment

Working...
                    X